Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2022, 08:55 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,306,946 times

Advertisements

solution: move to
Jackson, Mississippi. one-bedroom Apts less than $700
Shreveport, Louisiana. also
start planning now.
hurry to get in while you Can, take your good-paying Phoenix job with you or create one there! it is that simple, you can do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 09:04 AM

9,775 posts, read 11,184,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
While moving works for some, it doesn't for others. And I can only speak for myself here, but moving is just not practical. I tried convincing my wife that we need to move away from Phoenix, but her entire family is here, which is also our "village". My wife has a teaching degree specific for Arizona, moving to another state would require her to go back to school and recertify to get her certificate for that state, plus, she would then need to start at base level of salary. It's funny how everyone wants to spout out what they consider a "simple" solution without actually using their brain.
Spout? Simple? Who said it was easy to relocate or retool or __________? IF you want to buy a home, then, you have to make a sacrifice and change your course. That is what I've been "spouting". And it gets by you every single time!

Don't you think I would LOVE to live close to our son and future wife in the Bay Area? They will soon get out of residency and make $700K-$800K as a couple (and it will go FAST with taxes, PITA, a future daycare etc, etc). I'm in my winding down years. I'm not signing up for more taxes (property and income taxes), higher gas, and more expensive housing ($3M gets you a shoebox). Welcome to reality. Now I can "sacrifice" and rent for $4K a month (which is barely adequate). But it's my choice if I want to rent or live away from future grandkids. I'm not blaming the banks, CA (Prop 13 and ultra-wealthy people), etc. I have a choice. Rent or punt. You have a choice too. Move or re-tool. It's a pretty basic decision.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:06 AM

1,957 posts, read 2,306,946 times
Default just do it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Spout? Simple? Who said it was easy to relocate or retool or __________? IF you want to buy a home, then, you have to make a sacrifice and change your course. That is what I've been "spouting". And it gets by you every single time!

Don't you think I would LOVE to live close to our son and future wife in the Bay Area? They will soon get out of residency and make $700K-$800K as a couple (and it will go FAST with taxes, PITA, a future daycare etc, etc). I'm in my winding down years. I'm not signing up for more taxes (property and income taxes), higher gas, and more expensive housing ($3M gets you a shoebox). Welcome to reality. Now I can "sacrifice" and rent for $4K a month. But it's my choice if I want to rent or live away from future grandkids. I'm not blaming the banks, CA (Prop 13 and ultra-wealthy people), etc. I have a choice. Rent or punt. You have a choice too. Move or re-tool. It's a pretty basic decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXsQAXx_ao0

Old 04-20-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
It's all in the attitude. I know a lot of people that kick butt in life. I do my best to surround myself with people who are doing well in life (relationships, careers, health, happiness). The common denominator is their attitude. They do what it takes. Most people I know read and watch motivational and self-help books. They are continuously improving. And therefore, they have the confidence to kick butt in all aspects of life.

I also do my best to stay away from a Debbie Downer or someone with a defeatist attitude. As Jim Rohn says, “You're the average of the five people spend the most time with.”

Old 04-20-2022, 09:26 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,280,548 times
Quote:
It's all in the attitude. I know a lot of people that kick butt in life. I do my best to surround myself with people who are doing well in life (relationships, careers, health, happiness). The common denominator is their attitude. They do what it takes. Most people I know read and watch motivational and self-help books. They are continuously improving. And therefore, they have the confidence to kick butt in all aspects of life.

I also do my best to stay away from a Debbie Downer or someone with a defeatist attitude. As Jim Rohn says, “You're the average of the five people spend the most time with.”
This part can't be true - you spend too much time on this forum. It's filled with defeatist Debbie Downers.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This part can't be true - you spend too much time on this forum. It's filled with defeatist Debbie Downers.
It's entertainment. I've always wanted to tell someone what I really think. Normally, I cannot tell people what I think ("MN-Nice"=not telling you the truth). I mean, you cannot tell someone to their face, "get your crap together and stop making excuses! Look in the mirror where you screwed up and change!" But you can on a forum.

Old 04-20-2022, 09:52 AM

13,817 posts, read 8,046,023 times
Quote:

This ^^^

Are you willing to leave your comfort zone... and then stay out of it? Personally, I've never liked doing that.
I prefer to moan and groan but after a few days I usually get off my ass and look for possible solutions. The cost of housing changed overnight here. Blame the pandemic, blame greed, blame bad luck... but it is what it is.

Personally, if I couldn't afford housing I'd be making plans to leave. I'd be looking at San Antonio.

My family couldn't afford Chicago in the early 60's so my father went to San Jose where he spent six month getting things ready. Then my mother, brother, sister and I joined him. We spent a year there before moving to S.F. I grew up poor but so have a lot of people.

The U.S. is a big country and there are still areas to start over. Not sure if there will be in another 50 years but for now there are.

Old 04-21-2022, 11:18 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,765,998 times
Quote:

Don't you think I would LOVE to live close to our son and future wife in the Bay Area? They will soon get out of residency and make $700K-$800K as a couple (and it will go FAST with taxes, PITA, a future daycare etc, etc). I'm in my winding down years. I'm not signing up for more taxes (property and income taxes), higher gas, and more expensive housing ($3M gets you a shoebox). Welcome to reality. Now I can "sacrifice" and rent for $4K a month (which is barely adequate). But it's my choice if I want to rent or live away from future grandkids. I'm not blaming the banks, CA (Prop 13 and ultra-wealthy people), etc. I have a choice. Rent or punt. You have a choice too. Move or re-tool. It's a pretty basic decision.
I am just replying to your post about moving. You suggested that people should simply just move as a solution, as if their situation is insignificant.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:26 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberry View Post
solution: move to
Jackson, Mississippi. one-bedroom Apts less than $700
Shreveport, Louisiana. also
start planning now.
hurry to get in while you Can, take your good-paying Phoenix job with you or create one there! it is that simple, you can do it!
In all seriousness, moving to a less expensive place is what some people will have to do if they can't afford to live here any longer, even if the "affordable" location is less than desirable. It's usually not what they want to hear, but the truth hurts. If they want to continue living in the Phoenix area, they will need to increase their income. In many cases, that will mean less time for hiking & basking in the sun, but they either need to face reality & get busy, or else get the hell out of here.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:37 PM

6,774 posts, read 5,074,051 times
Zillow says our house is up 3% in the last month. At that rate it will be worth about $50 million in ten years. Woohoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area