Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2022, 03:39 PM

13,703 posts, read 7,979,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Catch-22 deniers do the same thing. But you think that's OK.

Double standard = corruption.

Seems you are incapable of having a civil discussion.

You believe that if someone has a different opinion than you, there MUST be something wrong with then.
You are funny, not funny as you tell good jokes or have a good sense of humor but funny that you have way of falling flat on your face when you try and make a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 03:40 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,141,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Catch-22 deniers do the same thing. But you think that's OK.

Double standard = corruption.

Seems you are incapable of having a civil discussion.

You believe that if someone has a different opinion than you, there MUST be something wrong with then.
Case in point...do you just have parts of posts saved in notepad and copy and paste them or are you actually a bot...hmmmmmm

Old 04-19-2022, 03:55 PM

357 posts, read 222,316 times
Okay so with the last housing bubble the banks gained a massive real estate profile with it favoring every other thing they are invested in. They have been holding onto said homes - only trickling out slowly some. Then they are not giving new construction loans to companies as they have made the requirements much harder and will only give much smaller loans if at all. So while being positive and hitting the pavement with any extra energy you have you should write to your politicians about regulating banking again and or their investing ability in housing. Also the large corporations that have been buying homes to rent them out should have a limit. Period. Yea that's right the people need to stand up for the people against corporate greed or they walk all over everyone.

All of Arizona has become unaffordable - sure you can work 2-3 jobs minimum wage have 20 roommates and then wow you figured it out and can live here? Or you were lucky enough to be able to get an education and great paying job so you are elite enough to live here too. Oh Im sorry those people must of been real smart at 5yrs old to start working towards this goal in K-12 so yea they deserve to live here. But if you were not so smart - get out!! Next if you started a business that was a success well you too get a golden ticket to live in AZ too!!
You all get to stay in Arizona either renting or buying but if you rent look forward to your rent going up $300-$800 every year cause that's just how it works in Arizona. Oh and expect most homes in Phoenix to cost you as much as the East Valley cause that it also how it works now here.

For you that started your own business and were lucky enough to make it - just cause you did does not mean you are special - while some lack the ability to treat customers with respect most do put in all they have when they start a business BUT a very small percent make it. A lot of them lose their buts in starting a business. So its easy when you are sitting in your position to look down on others and think it is because you were more motivated than others and so you deserve it more than they do but I would advise that things can sometimes change very quickly and no amount of customer service skills is going to help. If you want to run on the I got it because I am smarter than most - you are an elitist.

What is happening here in Arizona is a disgrace - there is no explanation possible for raising peoples rent $300-$800 a month. There is also no explanation why the house that I live ins worth going up $200,000 in 2 years other than this out of control greed that is ruining our society here in Arizona and it needs to be stopped.

Old 04-19-2022, 04:40 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchz View Post
Okay so with the last housing bubble the banks gained a massive real estate profile with it favoring every other thing they are invested in. They have been holding onto said homes - only trickling out slowly some. Then they are not giving new construction loans to companies as they have made the requirements much harder and will only give much smaller loans if at all. So while being positive and hitting the pavement with any extra energy you have you should write to your politicians about regulating banking again and or their investing ability in housing. Also the large corporations that have been buying homes to rent them out should have a limit. Period. Yea that's right the people need to stand up for the people against corporate greed or they walk all over everyone.

All of Arizona has become unaffordable - sure you can work 2-3 jobs minimum wage have 20 roommates and then wow you figured it out and can live here? Or you were lucky enough to be able to get an education and great paying job so you are elite enough to live here too. Oh Im sorry those people must of been real smart at 5yrs old to start working towards this goal in K-12 so yea they deserve to live here. But if you were not so smart - get out!! Next if you started a business that was a success well you too get a golden ticket to live in AZ too!!
You all get to stay in Arizona either renting or buying but if you rent look forward to your rent going up $300-$800 every year cause that's just how it works in Arizona. Oh and expect most homes in Phoenix to cost you as much as the East Valley cause that it also how it works now here.

For you that started your own business and were lucky enough to make it - just cause you did does not mean you are special - while some lack the ability to treat customers with respect most do put in all they have when they start a business BUT a very small percent make it. A lot of them lose their buts in starting a business. So its easy when you are sitting in your position to look down on others and think it is because you were more motivated than others and so you deserve it more than they do but I would advise that things can sometimes change very quickly and no amount of customer service skills is going to help. If you want to run on the I got it because I am smarter than most - you are an elitist.

What is happening here in Arizona is a disgrace - there is no explanation possible for raising peoples rent $300-$800 a month. There is also no explanation why the house that I live ins worth going up $200,000 in 2 years other than this out of control greed that is ruining our society here in Arizona and it needs to be stopped.
Is it ........ is it the reemergence of the Shadow Inventory?

Old 04-19-2022, 05:00 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Is it ........ is it the reemergence of the Shadow Inventory?
I haven't heard that term in years. Here is some fun reading from back in 2011 to 2012.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ix-market.html

I actually enjoyed re-reading the conversations back then. Interesting times.

Old 04-19-2022, 06:08 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times
Quote:

You have been reading these posts in the wrong frame of mind. Speaking for myself, my tone gets negative when people make excuses for their shortcomings. And your post didn't take an ounce of responsibility. Personally, I am hard on myself.

An Analogy: It's a battle for me to eat right and exercise. As in, it's punishing. Should I blame corn in my diet https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3133759/ . How about blaming the processed foods https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...0affordability. Or maybe, I should get my fat ass to the gym and monitor what I put in my mouth? That's what I have been doing for the past 3 years. I was were I was for a reason (drifting to 50 pounds over weight).

Some people love to consume "stuff". It takes discipline to save and live beneath your means. Who likes to work hard? I don't. How about working a ton of overtime for years. That sucked. How about going to college while working full time over 10 years. People all around you are having a great time in the prime of their lives while I stare at a physics or ahumanities book.

Yea, a lot of businesses are greedy (banks included). Forget about college. I got a quote for $3K to add a 10'x15' shiplap in my tray ceiling. The material is about $400. That would have cost me 1/2 just two 2 years ago. A wallpaperer recently wanted $1K for a 6-hour job in labor. The materials was another $1K (I assume $500 in mark-up). I'm watching youtube videos to wallpaper with these new materials. A landscaper who could barely speak English wanted to charge me $350 to blow out my small yard and trim some bushes (for 2 hours of work). I can go on and on and on. And obviously, people are paying for it. I pushed back on these items as I thought they were greedy. Yep! And what am I going to do about it? Either make more money, do it myself with a massive hassle, or do without.

reading this in a helpful tone, how come they are in the position of strength and you feel helpless? Is it because you are not capable of learning how to wallpaper, cut wood and attach it to the ceiling, or start and start a small business? We can all get upset at the "greedy" banks, wallpaper companies, and landscapers. Or, we can be critical of ourselves and figure out the puzzle.

Complaining about the banks is going to get you nowhere. That's what people have been posting all along. NOT "I've got mine".

Old 04-19-2022, 07:18 PM

13,703 posts, read 7,979,859 times
Quote:

None of my rental properties jumped up $300-$800 in one year. A home which was rented in 2014 for $1340 was emptied, renovated in early 2021 and rented for $2300. A home which was rented in 2015 for $1275 was vacated last year, renovated and rented for $1995.

The only big jump in a short time was a home that was rented in 2019 for $1675. Renters moved out last year. I fixed up the property and rented it for $2550.

I have one renter today who started with me in early 2019 and now $600 under market rate. I will give her a $150 increase at the end of this year. I hit her with a $300 increase and she'll leave. Right now I do not want anymore turnover. I spent a good 8-11 grand renovating each property. The rent increases helped cover costs and once the property is in top shape I have no problem getting market rate.

Last edited by john3232; 04-19-2022 at 07:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2022, 08:26 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
None of my rental properties jumped up $300-$800 in one year. A home which was rented in 2014 for $1340 was emptied, renovated in early 2021 and rented for $2300. A home which was rented in 2015 for $1275 was vacated last year, renovated and rented for $1995.

The only big jump in a short time was a home that was rented in 2019 for $1675. Renters moved out last year. I fixed up the property and rented it for $2550.

I have one renter today who started with me in early 2019 and now $600 under market rate. I will give her a $150 increase at the end of this year. I hit her with a $300 increase and she'll leave. Right now I do not want anymore turnover. I spent a good 8-11 grand renovating each property. The rent increases helped cover costs and once the property is in top shape I have no problem getting market rate.
I get your point and this is valid for a lot of individual landlords. They value a long-term relationship over short-term profit maximizing. I had a similar relationship with my California landlord the first five years in Phoenix. The rent increases were very reasonable, and on my end I paid on time and avoided as much trouble for them as possible by fixing myself or working with a reliable contractor (getting estimates etc.). However, the experience with big corporate apartment complexes seems quite different. They don't care for tenants at all. They hit you with as much increase as they can get away with. They force renovations on you so you have to move out etc. It seems to be quite disgusting out there. BTW- this is another reason to do everything possible to get out of such a situation. From day 1 the focus should be on: how can I make this as short as possible to rely on a corporate landlord. It may take time to get over this but... make it your focus.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:14 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,723,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I haven't heard that term in years. Here is some fun reading from back in 2011 to 2012.
http:////www.city-data.com/forum/pho...ix-market.html

I actually enjoyed re-reading the conversations back then. Interesting times.
Ha, I saw a Doug Hopkins tv ad the other day and it brought back memories of the ridiculous show Property Wars which in turn brought back memories of a guy/company buying properties in Surprise at auction, slapping in new carpets and paint and flipping them for a gross profit of $50-100 k. We stopped counting how many houses the guy did at I think 30-40.
Interesting times indeed.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:33 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,758,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Once upon a time, the Bay area was affordable. Until it wasn’t. So was Austin, TX. Until it wasn’t. Cut, paste, repeat with recent shifts in Boise, Bend, Ft. Myers, Coeur d’Alene etc etc etc. And now, we need to add the Phoenix metro into the mix. Yet, there are THOUSANDS of locations that are affordable.

If you want to blame someone, yell at the government. The FED’s systematically and artificially lowered interest rates by buying mortgage back securities. All the while people were waiting in line to overpay for homes, the FED's sat back and watched it happen. No, they doubled down and kept on buying.

Now that mortgages are guaranteed by Fannie and Freddie, they will have the motivation to do it all over again and maintain the bubble. Because in debt people buy “house payments”. And if they don't make those "payments" affordable, Fannie and Freddie are in trouble.

Allowing that to happen was a TERRIBLE policy. And I’ve said it 20 times. This is coming from someone that is UP around $800K because of this stupid policy to stimulate housing (which is a large portion of our economy). But oh, that’s right, Bob says people quitting their jobs who are WAY up on their net worth early are doing it “because of age discrimination”. Lol

Your solution: Move to a burb in Detroit or maybe the Twin Cities. For $275K, you could have bought a house 20 minutes from downtown in a nice middle-class neighborhood. I can find you several hundred more locations close to a job center.

Option 2. ***** and complain and assume people lack compassion. Or that it all happened because they got in early. Sure, in Boise, Bend, Ft. Myers, Coeur d’Alene etc those who got in early "won". But if you want to lick your wounds and complain, you might miss the burbs of Detroit and MPLS next.

People are saying, get off your butt and take control. But that takes sacrifice. Something you assume I know nothing about.
While moving works for some, it doesn't for others. And I can only speak for myself here, but moving is just not practical. I tried convincing my wife that we need to move away from Phoenix, but her entire family is here, which is also our "village". My wife has a teaching degree specific for Arizona, moving to another state would require her to go back to school and recertify to get her certificate for that state, plus, she would then need to start at base level of salary. It's funny how everyone wants to spout out what they consider a "simple" solution without actually using their brain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area