Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:19 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,896,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
I'm a big fan of public art but this looks too much like a floating urinal or some sort of 3D model of a digestive system. Maybe if it erupts every half hour like a reverse "old faithful" it would be entertaining... except for the people directly underneath.
LOL...

That's just what I need to see on my lunch hour!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:59 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,297,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
One more thing, art belongs in art museums, not in the middle of a downtown business district, especially when it's the center piece of a 5-acre area that'll be wasted. Art in a downtown business district should be magnificent 50 story tower with beautiful architecture, not something that looks like a parachute with a hole in it.
I completely agree, Mike. This sculpture is a waste of money. I recall hearing that two million dollars of TAXPAYER money is being used to finance this. It wouldn't be so bad if the private sector was fully contributing to it ... but I still can't see how this will improve art & culture in downtown Phoenix.

As for the bird idea, I said a long time ago that there should be a 1,000 foot tower in the shape of the Phoenix bird to add majesty to our sklyline ... just as the Space Needle in Seattle, and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis added dignity to their skylines. Of course, the FAA & the NIMBYs would raise a fuss over the height (as usual).

Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM

919 posts, read 3,399,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I completely agree, Mike. This sculpture is a waste of money. I recall hearing that two million dollars of TAXPAYER money is being used to finance this. It wouldn't be so bad if the private sector was fully contributing to it ... but I still can't see how this will improve art & culture in downtown Phoenix.

As for the bird idea, I said a long time ago that there should be a 1,000 foot tower in the shape of the Phoenix bird to add majesty to our sklyline ... just as the Space Needle in Seattle, and the Gateway Arch in St. Louis added dignity to their skylines. Of course, the FAA & the NIMBYs would raise a fuss over the height (as usual).
That would be cool. Imagine the skyline with a 1,000 ft tall Phoenix battling an 800 ft. tall Gilbertzilla.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:51 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,146,094 times
I think everyone here needs to read the FAQs about the Phoenix Community Arts Project...especially those criticizing the cost...

COMMUNITY ARTS PROJECT

Old 06-26-2008, 03:58 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Totally agree. Waste of taxpayer money that could be put to better use. And a tall structure like the Eiffle Tower, or Statue of Liberty size for a Phoenix Bird rising should be built with pvt funds.
About 30-40 years ago, near 20th st and camelback, in front of one of the shopping centers, there was a 16 foot sculptured Phoenix bird, and it was a popular tourist spot for pictures at the time.
The first time I saw a rendering of this so called art piece what came to mind was it looked like a topical diaphram. And if you look at the OP's last photo you'll see what I mean.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post

I can definately relate to that...the flames, the bird. When we drove to Az the past weekend it was downright HOT. It must have been close to 118 where we broke down and were stranded out in the middle of the flipping desert, but I didnt check the weather report for that particular area. We do know the temps were 111 degrees at 7pm when we got to Casa Grande, so it HAD to have been hotter than that, that day. Gawd, everyone asked me how the HE** I could live out there all those years. That was a question even I couldnt answer but sure dont miss it. Every flipping day, no thanks. The symbol of fire definately suits many parts of Az though!
A flipping bird in the middle of the flipping desert.. Hmmm.... Okay, I won't say anything about flipping birds...

Livewire, actually the Phoenix bird represents the city, which rose out of the ashes. There was an ancient city here, but it died out, then the Native Americans, and the Pioneers, who came here in the 1800's, helped build a city out of the "ashes", hence, the Phoenix Bird.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Totally agree. Waste of taxpayer money that could be put to better use. And a tall structure like the Eiffle Tower, or Statue of Liberty size for a Phoenix Bird rising should be built with pvt funds.
About 30-40 years ago, near 20th st and camelback, in front of one of the shopping centers, there was a 16 foot sculptured Phoenix bird, and it was a popular tourist spot for pictures at the time.
The first time I saw a rendering of this so called art piece what came to mind was it looked like a topical diaphram. And if you look at the OP's last photo you'll see what I mean.
Town & Country Shopping Center, I remember the sculptured bird that was there, but I forgot what they did with it.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:35 PM

44,661 posts, read 61,743,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Town & Country Shopping Center, I remember the sculptured bird that was there, but I forgot what they did with it.
Thanks for reminding me what the name of the shopping center was. We used to shop there quite a bit when we first moved to a place near there. Went to the movies hous at the rear of the center many times. Shopped at Sears too across the street. Man has that area changed over the years.
I believe, might be wrong, when the shopping center was sold and renovated the new owners didn't like the statue and the bird came down.
Wasn't there a Bob's Big Boy near there too. Can't remember. Do remember Bob's having problems with people stealing the ol Big Bob statue ocassionally. And up the street there was a 50's diner too. Haven't been over in that area in years. Well nice to reminisce.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,249,956 times
I'm torn on the downtown one - some days I think it's cool - other days I think it will just provide another canopy for the homeless that will be displaced from pioneer park.........

on a similar but different note, here is the sculpture they are going to put in goodyear next to the spring training complex - lots of mixed reviews as well, but I think I kind of dig it

Old 06-26-2008, 04:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,466,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
on a similar but different note, here is the sculpture they are going to put in goodyear next to the spring training complex - lots of mixed reviews as well, but I think I kind of dig it

Ugh! What is that??? Looks like a deflated baseball that someone tried (poorly I might add) to make it look like some sort of sail. Looks like a really, really bad Salvador Dali take on a acid-induced baseball dream or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area