Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times

Advertisements

Phoenix isn't know for it's art and culture, but it is making strides and moving in the right direction.

For those who aren't familiar with this project, I'd though I'd shine a bit of light on it...

It's currently under construction in downtown Phoenix, a previous mostly empty lot with a couple old warehouses that were used as grungy bars and such. It will ultimately become a 5.5 acre park in the center of the city with an art piece by world renowned artist Janet Echelman.

I personally feel that this will become a "must see" attraction in Phoenix, something that people will go specifically to downtown to see, both locals and visitors. Something similar, in my opinion, to "the bean" in Chicago or the bull in NYC.

Construction pictures really don't do it justice, you have to see this in person to get the full perspective. It is truly jaw-dropping in person.

http://www.echelman.com/site/images/phoenix_1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.echelman.com/site/images/phoenix_2.jpg (broken link)

http://www.echelman.com/site/images/phoenix_3.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 03:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Very strange piece of work, kinda like the bean in Chicago. lol

What is it supposed to look like (if anything)? Or is it just one of those bizarre modern art concepts? lol The first pic looks like theyre setting up for some cable cars or something.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:42 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,937,252 times
It's supposed to look like a monsoon cloud and cactus flower in one.

The first pic you're seeing the overhead lines for the light rail. Lots of cables everywhere though right?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
It's supposed to look like a monsoon cloud and cactus flower in one.

The first pic you're seeing the overhead lines for the light rail. Lots of cables everywhere though right?
Ahhhh, now I see it, thanks! I can see the Saguaro blossom, thats kinda neat. I never woulda guessed that it was supposed to represent a monsoon cloud though. And regarding the Light Rail lines, I thought those were part of the sculpture. hahaha Hey, I didnt know.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:52 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Watch for the first big monsoon storm to pick it up and blow it all the way to Wickenburg.
I, like many others, would have liked to have instead seen a large steel sculpture of the Phoenix Bird rising, as that would represent what the area is all about.
And the money being spent on this project at this time could have been used for better purposes. Plus this is the 3rd or 4th time, in the same area, over the years a project like this has been done, then a few years later changed again. Wasted time and money.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:58 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Watch for the first big monsoon storm to pick it up and blow it all the way to Wickenburg.
I, like many others, would have liked to have instead seen a large steel sculpture of the Phoenix Bird rising, as that would represent what the area is all about.
And the money being spent on this project at this time could have been used for better purposes. Plus this is the 3rd or 4th time, in the same area, over the years a project like this has been done, then a few years later changed again. Wasted time and money.
This is the first time anything like this has happened in Phoenix and especially in this area. There was nothing worthy of downtown in this spot before. This project will not "blow" away as it is made of incredibly strong material and steel supports. A bird rising like a Phoenix would be so common, so bland we KNOW we are in Phoenix we don't need a bird to let us know. Something that is so obvious like a bird sculpture doesn't really make people stop and look and spend time around it. Janet Echelman has created projects in cities like Lisbon and Boston, I think the color and the shape says Phoenix. Imagine snapping a picture of that huge purple (but changes color according to season) sculpture against an evening sky with the buildings and purple mountains in the background.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:04 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
You're op, my op, let's wait and see which way the wind blows.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:01 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
The Civic Center park and that.. whatever you want to call the floating canvas thing.. (I call it a parachute with a hole) were a dumb idea and a waste of space. I can see this thing going down the same path as Patriots Park in 15-20 years.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:14 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,380 times
Well, it looks interesting. I'll reserve judgement until I see it. I love the color and it is unique...so I'm excited to see it upon completion.

Pls somebody in the know tell me if they are going to tear down that horrid thing in the central park (it looks like a big, ugly gazebo with lights, etc.). I'm so happy the way downtown PHX is coming along....pls, pls, pls someone make my day and tell me that THING is going to be demolished.

The poor bums, who sleep on it, under it and around it, look like they hate it too. That entire little park with the red brick and that THING is so ugly and depressing. Make my wish come true and tell me it's going away.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
One more thing, art belongs in art museums, not in the middle of a downtown business district, especially when it's the center piece of a 5-acre area that'll be wasted. Art in a downtown business district should be magnificent 50 story tower with beautiful architecture, not something that looks like a parachute with a hole in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area