Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,491,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I also theorize that people who fit the above complain and bemoan their circumstances, while doing nothing to change them, as a way of avoiding a harsh self-assessment.
And there are probably a small few whose hands are tied and have no other options at the time and one of their only recourses is to in fact 'complain and bemoan' in the meantime to avoid possible incarceration for actions as a result of such
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:53 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
ha ha, I think there are people who are not happy anywhere, we probably have more just because we have more people.
Then, there are people who try and make the place they grew up or are "at" better and try to change the things they don't like, I think we call those people "Californians". They get a lot of slack on here for no good reason. I hope they do change some of this crap myself. Better education, more help for the underpriv.
Then there are people who can't get out because of bad planning or are stuck in this economy and got muffed into the whole housing mess. I think they come on, like me sometimes, trying to find other people to share and talk about it with, find some hints on how to make it better, easier to live with until they go. Take there time in planning the move so as to not make another mistake again.
Always the trolls of course that enjoy getting your hair up.
Some people trying to really get answers to there questions, like scorps, pools, their kids school. Not trashing, just looking for help in fitting in, understanding, which a lot of us don't give and just call them AZ bashers and send them on their way baffled as to what they did and amazed at how sensitive we are on here.

For the most part though I think Barb has a thing here. I love New England because I feel it's a good fit with the things I most enjoy, seasons, fall color, snowy winters, the ocean, good seafood, gardening, education, small business, and a lot of relatives close bye.
I don't enjoy Phoenix because of these same things being hard to accomplish here. Nothing really personal about it, can't change it (although I have tried that approach) XD
When I am in MA, I feel really good, and happy. When I am here, home, I don't. I am always longing for another lifestyle.
People who love new shopping malls, new houses, heat and more heat, only 2 seasons, no snow, good mexican food, Mexico, the west coast, big business, sprawl (big open places). Love it here. It's a small taste of suburban america at its finest with a little bit of wild west and spanish decor thrown in.
Like your on vacation all the time.
You don't have to much success trying to make friends who like it here when you like it somewhere else. Not much in common. So, you come on here trying to find something in common with people who don't like it either. NOT to bash. I think people are to critical about this and Phoenix is plenty popular with out the need for a lifesaver. It's ok if some don't like it and want to share why with other like minded people. They have a right. I don't think they are trying to start an argument with you, just find someone who agrees with them and understands.
People will always look for a fit, either for the good or for the bad. That is why I will be buying this book. Thanks Barb!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 PM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
And there are probably a small few whose hands are tied and have no other options at the time and one of their only recourses is to in fact 'complain and bemoan' in the meantime to avoid possible incarceration for actions as a result of such
Oh, I agree. I don't agree at all with the people who say if you don't like something you can just leave. Life, at least mine, is nowhere near that simple. On the other hand, learning to accept things we can't change can help enormously sometimes. Eyes filled with tears don't see things clearly.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh, I agree. I don't agree at all with the people who say if you don't like something you can just leave. Life, at least mine, is nowhere near that simple. On the other hand, learning to accept things we can't change can help enormously sometimes. Eyes filled with tears don't see things clearly.
TRUE, TRUE. I have learned this one.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:24 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,491,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Then there are people who can't get out because of bad planning or are stuck in this economy and got muffed into the whole housing mess. I think they come on, like me sometimes, trying to find other people to share and talk about it with, find some hints on how to make it better, easier to live with until they go. Take there time in planning the move so as to not make another mistake again.
Always the trolls of course that enjoy getting your hair up.
I believe I would be the former,although some may consider me a troll...the only reason I take shots at them is because of their lack of compassion of understanding my situation and taking blind shots at me. But you seemed to have explained it well in your writing.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I believe I would be the former,although some may consider me a troll...the only reason I take shots at them is because of their lack of compassion of understanding my situation and taking blind shots at me. But you seemed to have explained it well in your writing.
Thanks StuckPa!! I know how ya feel. That is why most people do it you know, including myself.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 PM

430 posts, read 1,411,610 times
Talking Oh shucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thanks StuckPa!! I know how ya feel. That is why most people do it you know, including myself.
you guys are gonna get me all teared up, what is this changeing leaves, snow you speak of? I think I have forgot seasons. back to topic, I don't care for Phoenix much, I try and not step on local toes to much, gotta tread lightly umm without a big stick.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Default well..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by borborygmi View Post
I'd advise her to marry someone because she loved him. But hey, that's just me; maybe I'm old-fashioned. I believe that if you get married, it should be for the right reason- and there's really only one. The financial security of a person ought not to factor into the equation. That's no measure of an individual's quality, if you're any sort of decent human being. The idea of a woman deliberately "looking" for someone well-heeled to take care of her has always struck me as a faux-pathetic excuse for marriage, and frankly I have zero respect for a woman who knowingly does that.

This is coming from someone who graduated from medical school, has done quite well financially, and has deliberately gone out of my way to avoid such gold-digging "types" who disgrace their gender. I seriously hope you wouldn't fall into that category. Judging from this post, though, you'd likely just reinforce my already hardened opinions.
Since your opinions are already hardened, I was just asking a question, who knew judgement would be passed.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,199,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkylady2 View Post
I was just wondering if you had a daughter would you advise her to be with a successful man or a man with no education or money? If she had a great career would you want her to support a man making much less or find an equal? This is nothing new in any state, in the past it men were judged much more on what they could offer when they ask a ladies hand in marriage, I think we have come along way from where we use to be. Not far enough for some men I guess.
If I had a daughter; I would 'tell' her to marry the guy who treats her the way she wishes to be treated. If the guys has $$$, cool..........if not, oftentimes a good woman can bring out the best in a man.

As for the stereotypical 'Scottsdale diva' types: even if I had real money...........I flat would not date their kind.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:42 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If I had a daughter; I would 'tell' her to marry the guy who treats her the way she wishes to be treated. If the guys has $$$, cool..........if not, oftentimes a good woman can bring out the best in a man.

As for the stereotypical 'Scottsdale diva' types: even if I had real money...........I flat would not date their kind.
right, I don't get that whole plastic look, some of these ladies are or could have been really attractive more natural looking women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area