Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

611 posts, read 1,992,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
lol....this is cute. You're totally right....he should totally take the Obama approach and try to beat his 9000 some odd number of ear marks per each bill he passes....let's hear it for pork barrel spending!! wooohooo!! Because that will really help out Az ggeezzuss cry me...
$7 billion or 2%. That is the total amount of earmarks in the $ 410 billion omnibus bill. We just gave AIG another $30 billion on top of the $130 billion they received previously not to mention a trillion spent in Iraq. The total is not stunning when put into the perspective of the entire budget. Many of these projects are useful and will provide jobs. The entire pork issue regarding earmarks is a great political sound bite but the system we have needs to be used effectively to bring back money to tax payers. McCain's playing politics with the lives and finances of in state in order to attempt to remain relevant following his defeat to Obabma. This is not good for the people he supposedly represents.

Yeah really cute! In the meantime Arizona gets shafted. Having the worst education system in the nation is not something McCain seems to mind but heaven forbid a few percent back to the states for public works or cultural improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 02:32 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
Yeah really cute! In the meantime Arizona gets shafted. Having the worst education system in the nation is not something McCain seems to mind but heaven forbid a few percent back to the states for public works or cultural improvement.
IIRC, McCain's children went to private schools and didn't get to experience firsthand the value of education in our public schools system.

Or maybe they went to a PV school, which of course isn't really a good example of what public education is like in Arizona.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times
McCain lived for years on North Central in what would be Madison Elementary and Phoenix Union HS districts. His wife went to Central, by the way. He did not ever to my knowledge live in PVUSD, which, contrary to what you are implying, is a fairly middle of the road suburban district. It has both upscale and poor areas and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Town of PV (where McCain did not live either).

Old 03-10-2009, 03:56 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,511,312 times
I stand corrected, then.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:19 PM

20 posts, read 58,372 times
Why are red states getting the lions share of the pork? I thought they were against that. Do they get more welfare dollars too? How about more free condoms for students?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:49 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
His, and others', overly restrictive definition of "earmark" or "pork" cuts out some real projects that have real benefit to the citizens of this state or whichever other states are involved.
Well said! Congress is no different than the rest of America. Everyone has their agendas and unfortunately, you are not going to get a bill passed without some earmarks. I hate earmarks like the next guy but if it comes down to quality spending and some bad earmarks versus no spending at all, I will take the former. Furthermore, the Republicans have a huge earmark of their own, it's called IRAQ. That's a nearly 1 trillion dollar earmark

Old 03-11-2009, 11:43 AM

611 posts, read 1,992,296 times
So do people in Arizona believe McCain is representing the state? To me he seems more interested in representing national and international agendas and does not represent Arizona's interests.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM

39,088 posts, read 51,273,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markas214 View Post
So do people in Arizona believe McCain is representing the state? To me he seems more interested in representing national and international agendas and does not represent Arizona's interests.
McCain is a carpetbagger from Virginia who married into AZ politics. His father-in-law bought him a house in Tempe that he never lived in so he could run for Congress from that open district. He is not "one of us" and never has been.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
I've never been a McCain fan, I considered him a carpetbagger when he ran for Congress in what was my district however many years ago. I respect his service to our country, but I am tired of (among other things he's campaigned on) his "noun, verb, POW" campaign shtick, which was not unlike Giuliani's "noun, verb, 9/11" one.

EDIT: Ponderosa, we were posting at the same time. Two great minds with a single thought, I guess!

I'd suggest that readers here check the New Times archives for a GREAT article on McCain that ran during the Presidential campaign. Very revealing about his true personality/attitude. Wish we had someone to run against him next year and retire him.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
In the words of JFK, "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country. Why is it that everyone has a hand out for something that they feel entitled to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area