Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Chicago is losing population. While the loop maybe gaining some here and there...over all it is losing out and young people are leaving Chicago because it is cold and boring. But great architecture though, right?

Chicago's losing population, somewhat, but you could argue that a lot of the people who now live in Chicago proper are a young, urban, business-class population who enjoy the bars and restaurants and walkability of the city. I agree with you on cold, during the winter, anyway, but boring? With bars like Rockit and Martini Park, restaurants like Giordano's and Rosebud, shopping along Michigan Avenue, free concerts at Millenium Park, art festivals at the Art Insititute, and the air and water show screaming through the air this weekend, how can you say it's boring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:29 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Chicago's losing population, somewhat, but you could argue that a lot of the people who now live in Chicago proper are a young, urban, business-class population who enjoy the bars and restaurants and walkability of the city. I agree with you on cold, during the winter, anyway, but boring? With bars like Rockit and Martini Park, restaurants like Giordano's and Rosebud, shopping along Michigan Avenue, free concerts at Millenium Park, art festivals at the Art Insititute, and the air and water show screaming through the air this weekend, how can you say it's boring?
What city can't you attend things like that or activities such as those and be surrounded by those type of people or any type of person? Business class, students, entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, middle-class, upper-class, blue-collar, hard working, debutant, etc. Can you hike mountains in your city, attend huge national sporting events EVERY season of the year, patronize huge Las Vegas budget night clubs with glass enclosed catwalks connecting clubs together, go to roof-top/poolside bars year round, decide to live in suburbia or in the central cities without being far from either no matter what direction and not be stuck in snarling traffic for hours, take a summer vacation in your own city at one of the numerous world-class resorts, be baking one hour and an hour later be in pine forests having to don a sweater and jeans, and on and on?

Of course Chicago has some of what you listed as it is a huge, very famous city but it isn't for everyone and not everyone finds enjoyment in Chicago. The lifestyle, seasons, crime, segregation, etc. isn't tolerated by every person. This is why some find their home in Phoenix and some in Chicago. Some find Phoenix very boring and others find Chicago very boring; depends on the lifestyle one is in search of. Part of the laid back, west coast lifestyle of Phoenix involves fabulous nightlife, amazing and abundant restaurants, a plethora of unmatched seasonal activities, destinations, events, and leisurely activities.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-10-2009 at 11:51 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol @ chicago can not match phoenix...
Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,560,533 times
Quote:
Don't listen to this Michigander...he is a perpetual negative poster who doesn't understand that people don't have to like what he likes. Now I know what you mean about being bored with Chicago. I mean sure the architecture is cool and the lake is the lake but you can only look at the Sears...ah hem, Willis Tower for so long before it gets boring. Plus it isn't even half the height of the world's tallest building...boring.

The night clubs in Chicago are boring! Let's not kid ourselves here, Chicago is a big city but it isn't famous for nightlife, resort hoping, outdoor activities, etc. Downtown Phoenix doesn't have the height or density compared to being inside the loop, but there is just as much to do and the clubs are definitely larger and always full of people. My second favorite city is Seattle but the nightlife there puts me to sleep. Clubs in Seattle aren't full even on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday nights and it is a downer for sure. But then I guess I could stare at the water (Puget Sound or Lake Washington) and buildings...
I suggest you not making posts about something you know nothing about, sporty. I am NOT from Michigan, but I used to live there. And "not understanding that people dont have to like what I like?" I'm sorry but arent you the one that attacked people for liking Dallas over Phoenix? Please stop the hypocracy. Oh yes, and the Willis Tower still has the world's highest roof and is therefore the worlds' tallest.' I am not going to waste my time with you anymore, because your posts are nothing but ignorant statements and your info is grossly incorrect.

Bottom line.....everyone in America knows Chicago is superior in every way to Phoenix and is what Phoenix can only dream itself into being. Chicago is an international city with everything, even a lakefront, while it is Phoenix that has nothing. Wake up.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I suggest you not making posts about something you know nothing about, sporty. I am NOT from Michigan, but I used to live there. And "not understanding that people dont have to like what I like?" I'm sorry but arent you the one that attacked people for liking Dallas over Phoenix? Please stop the hypocracy. Oh yes, and the Willis Tower still has the world's highest roof and is therefore the worlds' tallest.' I am not going to waste my time with you anymore, because your posts are nothing but ignorant statements and your info is grossly incorrect.
Oh, you poor unknowledgeable poster. Let's start with your lack of knowledge about the world's tallest buildings! The Burj Dubai, in Dubai in case you didn't make the connection, has a roof height over 2,400ft and with the spire surpasses 2,600ft. The Burj Dubai has over 160 floors. The Willis Tower has a roof height of 1,400ft! Hypocrisy? You idealize hypocrisy because you argue against things you know nothing of!

Not to mention I never "attacked people" for living or choosing to live in Dallas, go back and read the thread and TRY to comprehend. Besides, this thread is about the OP wanting to know what neighborhoods should be considered in Phoenix. So those of us who agree with the OP and can divulge the information requested should be able to state this without being "attacked" by your type. And you speak of hypocrisy.

Quote:
Bottom line.....everyone in America knows Chicago is superior in every way to Phoenix and is what Phoenix can only dream itself into being. Chicago is an international city with everything, even a lakefront, while it is Phoenix that has nothing. Wake up.
Funny how "everyone in America knows Chicago is superior in every way to Phoenix" yet so many post here, as a small representation, of how they like Phoenix much more than Chicago. Hmmm, maybe that proves that not everyone likes Chicago. Who are you trying to convience anyway because it isn't working on us and YOU still live in Phoenix too.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-11-2009 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 04:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post

Perhaps it's just me, but I'm very tired of both krock1dk's endless contempt for anything about Phoenix, and fcorrales' over-the-top cheerleading for everything about the same city. And, I'm not very familiar with Chicago, but I think fc's criticism is likely a bit excessive.

Let's be honest here-- both these cities have flaws, and both have a lot to offer, but not the SAME things, and which one any particular person prefers depends on the individual preferences of that person. All this ranting back and forth accomplishes nothing.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:10 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
I used to live there...nightlife sucks! Older architecture, more history, denser downtown, but nightlife sucked! BORING...snoozer; instead of no-mans' land it was more like "old-mans'" land, LOL! Vision in Chicago was cool but one hot nightclub doesn't make up for a lack of variety. Also other "scenes" in Chicago are dead; Boystown was lacking and the variety was non-existent...very white, very clone-ish, very small bars/clubs compared to the Valley.
are you the desert version of dementor? Please say so. These posts of yours -- and the insight and perspective you add-- well, they are pure gold.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Perhaps it's just me, but I'm very tired of both krock1dk's endless contempt for anything about Phoenix, and fcorrales' over-the-top cheerleading for everything about the same city. And, I'm not very familiar with Chicago, but I think fc's criticism is likely a bit excessive.

Let's be honest here-- both these cities have flaws, and both have a lot to offer, but not the SAME things, and which one any particular person prefers depends on the individual preferences of that person. All this ranting back and forth accomplishes nothing.
Perhaps it is endless cheerleading about two topics; living in Phoenix and nightlife. I didn't criticize anything else about Chicago...how is that excessive? Of course every city has its flaws but we aren't discussing those right now are we? You're just restating what I have been.

And how dare I talk about Phoenix, and everything about the "same city" in the Phoenix forum because...wait? LOL, this is the Phoenix forum right, so...

Go back and read my first post on this thread about how Phoenix doesn't match Chicago's height, density, or history...OMG, criticisms about Phoenix...say it ain't so.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 08-11-2009 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
are you the desert version of dementor? Please say so. These posts of yours -- and the insight and perspective you add-- well, they are pure gold.
LOL, are we quoting Harry Potter now? Hold on let me put on 12 year old cousin on, LOL! That's pure gold. So which neighborhoods in Phoenix would ya'll recommend?

Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,628,153 times
Quote:
LOL, are we quoting Harry Potter now? Hold on let me put on 12 year old cousin on, LOL! That's pure gold. So which neighborhoods in Phoenix would ya'll recommend?
wtf are you talking about? but thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area