Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well, let's talk reality.

First off, as for the State of Arizona (and Nevada), we are broke. Due to the decline in the real estate markets, property tax revenue is declining. Property tax collects are declining.

Sales tax revenues are declining. With more and more not traveling, fees collected on airline tickets have declined - impacting our airports. People are driving less - causing a decline in tax revenues from gas taxes.

Decline in employment means a decline in income tax collections.

While on the other side, requests for governmental aid - Food Stamps, utility assistance, unemployment, health care etc., etc., have increased substantially.

And while some would prefer to "soak the rich", that is not only not going to happen, it is not practical. The so called rich provide a lot of employment and they are having problems as well keeping the doors open of some of their companies. They are cutting costs including benefits provided to their employees. So, it is not a good time if nothing else to suggest we should "soak the rich".

No, we are ALL going to have to ride out the storms - and we will.
I don't think we should do it today, but I think we need to return to a more progressive tax system, and return to a "Fortress America" position militarily and invest in our infrastructure, education, and renewable fuels. It should be our clear goal to not pay a dime to our "enemies" for oil by the end of this decade. Hey, I sound a lot like Obama! Well, not the Fortress America part, that is pure Pat Buchanan.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:57 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Image problems, yes, Phoenix has them.

Nickelbag Joe Arpaio is an embarrassment the way he rounds up undocumented workers but lets all sorts of felony warrants be ignored.

I realize illegals are a problem, but what's more important, rounding up a few migrants making a few bucks doing odd jobs or going after the real criminals like arsonists, identity thieves, and so forth?

The smile-for-the-radar-camera program is an embarrassment too. Once again what's more important, penalizing people for driving a little fast or getting the real perps off the street?

Old 09-02-2009, 11:58 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You cannot be serious to try to imply that those with wealth don't already pay a lions share of taxes -

Frankly, the "rich" (subjective term) pay most of the taxes now - they provide for / are responsible for most of the employment in this country now.

IMO, the "rich" have / are soaked enough. How about everyone simply not relying on the government for every little thing - cut the waste. Tighten the belts.
I know I can't believe he said that. It was the "non-rich" who got this country into trouble in the first place by ceating this mortgage crisis. They were buying homes they couldn't afford and not living within their means. It was fashionable to blame the predatory lenders and not ourselves but the reality is a lot of Americans were being irresponsible. People keep blaming the lenders but the lenders didn't put a gun to their head. People were not that stupid to understand they couldn't afford homes that were more than 3 times their salary regardless of what the lending terms were. They were gambling assuming the price of their homes were going to rise annually with the hope they could sell it before the interest rates kicked in. I know so many in Phoenix who earn less than 70K per year and were buying 400-500K homes. This is such a Phoenix-theme. People making 50k per year were driving Escalades and Hummers because they have to compete with the Jones. The rich are bailing out this country by buying many of those homes now. Less than 1% of the wealthiest pay over 95% of the tax burden in this country.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I know I can't believe he said that. It was the "non-rich" who got this country into trouble in the first place by ceating this mortgage crisis. They were buying homes they couldn't afford and not living within their means. It was fashionable to blame the predatory lenders and not ourselves but the reality is a lot of Americans were being irresponsible. People keep blaming the lenders but the lenders didn't put a gun to their head. People were not that stupid to understand they couldn't afford homes that were more than 3 times their salary regardless of what the lending terms were. They were gambling assuming the price of their homes were going to rise annually with the hope they could sell it before the interest rates kicked in. I know so many in Phoenix who earn less than 70K per year and were buying 400-500K homes. This is such a Phoenix-theme. People making 50k per year were driving Escalades and Hummers because they have to compete with the Jones. The rich are bailing out this country by buying many of those homes now. Less than 1% of the wealthiest pay over 95% of the tax burden in this country.
You really do not understand the (under)world of finance if you believe it was the borrowers who built and then brought down the house of cards.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Oh, and God bless the rich for bailing out this country by grabbing up underpriced real estate (with our tax money I might add). I don't know what we would do without them.

If they buy enough it could lead to Howard Roark's vision of a US full of property-less serfs renting their humble homes from a benevolent corporate landlord finally freed of the yoke of home maintenance.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-02-2009 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Once again what's more important, penalizing people for driving a little fast or getting the real perps off the street?
I think we can do two things at the same time. The cams aren't going to hurt our image. Heck, many states are emulating us. Radar needs to focus (no pun) on a way to get the out of state people. We locals know it now. I rarely see the lights flash an AZ car these days. Anyone who lives here who is dumb enough to get a ticket anymore deserves one.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think we can do two things at the same time. The cams aren't going to hurt our image. Heck, many states are emulating us. Radar needs to focus (no pun) on a way to get the out of state people. We locals know it now. I rarely see the lights flash an AZ car these days. Anyone who lives here who is dumb enough to get a ticket anymore deserves one.
True, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, California, etc are now all into the cam game on the roads and highways. They have begun installation of such cams in New York in full force...As for the mortgage crisis this was everyone's fault not just the middle class but those that created and granted sub-prime loans, those CEO's and corporate officials who suckered people into not realizing what a sub-prime was or what an ARM was and those people who allowed themselves to be suckered. It was a vicious circle really that has/had implications for us all. Let's not forget that companies like AIG, the big 3 autos, airlines, credit granting organizations, etc are all in this as well.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM

307 posts, read 954,261 times
Wink Phoenix's Image

The image of Phoenix to a lot of Americans:

A hot, sprawling metropolis in the middle of the desert, full of international flavor (spanish), which walks quietly, but carries a big "Wild, Wild, West" stick!

Translation:

They think we are "freebirds" devoid of the law (see Sheriff Joe) and that we somewhat stay under the radar, in regards to what Phoenix really has to offer, along with catering to the spanish-speaking community.

Just my opinion...

Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,018,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDish2000 View Post
The image of Phoenix to a lot of Americans:

A hot, sprawling metropolis in the middle of the desert, full of international flavor (spanish), which walks quietly, but carries a big "Wild, Wild, West" stick!

Translation:

They think we are "freebirds" devoid of the law (see Sheriff Joe) and that we somewhat stay under the radar, in regards to what Phoenix really has to offer, along with catering to the spanish-speaking community.

Just my opinion...
So a "lawman" gone crazy named Sheriff Joe is devoid of the law??? I think he over-reaches the law and stomps on rights; which means there is too much of him LOL! As for catering to the spanish-speaking community that would be California, New York and Illinois (mostly Chicago). Here if Spanish is heard spoken you may get arrested by Sheriff Joe; LMAO I kid...kind of!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 PM

157 posts, read 422,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Only problem is out of state drivers don't get tickets because they cannot match picture to a face on a driver license
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area