Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 01:06 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,421,424 times

Advertisements

The republican party is turning into a cult of sorts.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:08 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The republican party is turning into a cult of sorts.
The Democrats have been one for years.

Both Parties suck.

So does the Libertarian party

Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,421,424 times
Every party sucks right now, everyone seems to be switching parties, the next 10-20 years are going to be VERY interesting.

Seems like both sides are taking to their extremes.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Every party sucks right now, everyone seems to be switching parties, the next 10-20 years are going to be VERY interesting.

Seems like both sides are taking to their extremes.
I agree with both you and Greatday. All of these parties are lousy and it seems like parties represent one extreme or the other. That being said, people need to take responsibility for this as well. What happened to the concept of getting along and making sacrafices. People were not as divided 20 years ago either because people were not willing to yell at their fellow American if they didn't agree on an issue. Now, everyone is so selfish that they can't look past one issue they disagree on even if they agree on everything else.

Right Wing radio started it. People like Rush preyed on people's anger and made them more divisive. That led to liberal wing nuts who preyed on the other side. I watched part of Glenn Beck and the guy was just shouting at the TV and I was thinking to myself, do people really watch this guy? Then Bill Maher made a living on HBO just attacking Bush in a very crude and personal way which I found offensive even though I wasn't a fan of Bush. I like to watch old school guys like Lou Dobbs and Larry King because they remind me of a generation that had class and had opinions but expressed them with class and subtlety. Before someone miquotes me, I don't have an issue with people disagreeing politically but this aggressive tabloid type of behavior has got to stop. The country used to be a lot more civil about these issues. I'll be honest, this is why I like Arizona. I feel like the state is fairly moderate regardless of voting records. I don't feel like one will be assailed if they declare they support either party. I can pretty much admit I'm a Republican without getting attacked(Portland) and I can say I support a woman's right to an abortion without getting killed (South). People say it's far right-wing..yeah maybe in the areas outside the two metros but even in places like Sierra Vista, I thought it was much more tame than Texas.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 09-02-2009 at 01:44 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
AH, did boompa just call Granny a tool!!! Respect your elders Boompa, LOL! But I'm not a republican, ewww
And a gorgeous 'tool' to boot

As for Palin; I was all ready to vote for McCain but his choice for a Veep 'forced ' me to Obama.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,590 times
Isn't this what Obama doesn't want - the division between political lines so extreme?

We're not going to get anywhere blaming one side, then that one side blaming another, and so on. It creates a lot more division than necessary. When you take things to the extreme, it's never bound to truly go in your favor.

People should look at things from a moderate point of view. Everything has the potential to be good, but it's just how you implement it. Taxes and the like in excess can be detrimental. Likewise, not enough can be detrimental as well.

Just get along.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Isn't this what Obama doesn't want - the division between political lines so extreme?

We're not going to get anywhere blaming one side, then that one side blaming another, and so on. It creates a lot more division than necessary. When you take things to the extreme, it's never bound to truly go in your favor.

People should look at things from a moderate point of view. Everything has the potential to be good, but it's just how you implement it. Taxes and the like in excess can be detrimental. Likewise, not enough can be detrimental as well.

Just get along.
Not gonna happen. We have created this monster that doles out cookies (billions of dollars) to the friends of whomever is in power. Our system is corrupt at the top - Congress - and the payoff is too great to ever see harmony. There are a number of reforms that could be considered - public financing, reduced government roles in regulation, term limits, smaller budgets, more oversight, allowing only the rich to run, parliamentary government, executions. But given the high payoffs, there is no way anything positive is going to happen. And at the root, we have ourselves to blame. We still have the vote and we still use it to send the same scoundrels back to Washington to represent our interests.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Not gonna happen. We have created this monster that doles out cookies (billions of dollars) to the friends of whomever is in power. Our system is corrupt at the top - Congress - and the payoff is too great to ever see harmony. There are a number of reforms that could be considered - public financing, reduced government roles in regulation, term limits, smaller budgets, more oversight, allowing only the rich to run, parliamentary government, executions. But given the high payoffs, there is no way anything positive is going to happen. And at the root, we have ourselves to blame. We still have the vote and we still use it to send the same scoundrels back to Washington to represent our interests.
I'm not a fan of that type of stuff either. I don't think the "cash for clunkers" or stimulus money really helps much. It puts us more in the hole, but so did the pointless Iraq war. There are, were, and will be so many variables that we can't just point at a singular person and say "It's their fault!"

Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I'm not a fan of that type of stuff either. I don't think the "cash for clunkers" or stimulus money really helps much. It puts us more in the hole, but so did the pointless Iraq war. There are, were, and will be so many variables that we can't just point at a singular person and say "It's their fault!"
Well, I'm a big fan of the stimulus - as an economic tool anyway. We would be in one sorry world of hurt right now without Bushes bank bailout. I think they (both the end of the Bush admin and the Obama admin) have done a pretty good job with the economic crisis and we will soon be seeing the results -- even the gloom and doomers are going to have a hard time denying that recovery is here . On a practical level, I recently drove I-40 and it was a real treat seeing that road being repaired after decades of neglect with the stimulus bucks.

Iraq no. Same for Afghanistan. Korea, too. Come home, America!

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Well, I'm a big fan of the stimulus. We would be in one sorry world of hurt right now without Bushes bank bailout. I think they (both the end of the Bush admin and the Obama admin) have done a pretty good job with the economic crisis and we will soon be seeing the results -- even the gloom and doomers are going to have a hard time denying that recovery is here . On a practical level, I recently drove I-40 and it was a real treat seeing that road being repaired after decades of neglect with the stimulus bucks.

Iraq no. Same for Afghanistan. Korea, too. Come home, America!
There are positives to the stimulus, I do agree. Road repairs are definitely a very good sight to see. The only thing is, I'm only 20. I'm scared for my future and the amount my generation is going to have to shell back. Only time will tell though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area