Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,367,746 times

Advertisements

Anyone who has a problem with AZ's gun laws might be happier in Mexico, where there's a universal ban. I hear it's working miracles there.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,038,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Living proof that gun control works------------shooting one's target accurately.
I was waiting for someone to say that...I knew it was coming...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:30 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I can't speak about Tucson but, I can about Scottsdale. MANY, MANY, MANY people in Scottsdale, carry a concealed firearm. The number of applicants from Scottsdale - the number ATTENDING classes who live in Scottsdale is really quite high. Many of the schools (CCW) are FULL each session.

AND, the majority of CCW permitees are women.

I have been carrying a firearm for 4+ decades. I have shot and killed an intruder. I know others who have protected themselves on the streets with their firearms.

You might like this - you might not even agree - but, it does not alter the facts.
I saw a story on the numbers a couple days ago but couldn't find it. Anyway IIRC there were some 300K permits in AZ and, while a large number went to women, the vast majority were to men.

Anyhow, with 300K permits and 6 million residents, clearly the majority do not carry. And many of those who have permits are like me, they don't go around with a gun under their shirt. I carry only when camping (if I remember to take it along) and then its in plain view.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:37 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,330,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Anyhow, with 300K permits and 6 million residents, clearly the majority do not carry. And many of those who have permits are like me, they don't go around with a gun under their shirt. I carry only when camping (if I remember to take it along) and then its in plain view.
Keep in mind though, you do not need a CCW permit to carry a firearm. So, take the number of people in Arizona and remember many open carry. Others like you only take one camping.

But, don't even try to diminish those that have decided to carry a firearm at all times - that is their lawful right. I defend their right to do so - don't you?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I saw a story on the numbers a couple days ago but couldn't find it. Anyway IIRC there were some 300K permits in AZ and, while a large number went to women, the vast majority were to men.

Good point! I have a permit but I don't utilize it, LOL! I know...but it is my choice and I'm sure there are plenty like me whom have a permit but choose not to use it on a daily basis, rarely, or not at all. Was just a process...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 PM

There are also thousands of people in AZ who don't require a permit to carry even concealed. I know folks who refuse to get a CCW and just carry openly. But say there are 300k gun toters in AZ. Out of six million, that means about one in 20. If you walk around a Fashion Sq. Mall in Scottsdale for an hour, how many people do you pass by? 200? 500? Guarantee you're in the presence of many armed folks and don't know it. If you know what I look like..... I'm always armed. Never thought of hurting someone though.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Keep in mind though, you do not need a CCW permit to carry a firearm. So, take the number of people in Arizona and remember many open carry. Others like you only take one camping.

But, don't even try to diminish those that have decided to carry a firearm at all times - that is their lawful right. I defend their right to do so - don't you?
Sure. I have a CCW permit myself though, like I said, I could do without it. I do think that rights carry responsibilities though and the exercise of rights should be tempered by judgment. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:47 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
There are also thousands of people in AZ who don't require a permit to carry even concealed. I know folks who refuse to get a CCW and just carry openly. But say there are 300k gun toters in AZ. Out of six million, that means about one in 20. If you walk around a Fashion Sq. Mall in Scottsdale for an hour, how many people do you pass by? 200? 500? Guarantee you're in the presence of many armed folks and don't know it. If you know what I look like..... I'm always armed. Never thought of hurting someone though.
I am usually armed, since I ca see Mexico from my back yard, but that has little to do with a group of Domestic Terrorists looking for an armed confrontation with Federal Authorities. If you want to be caught up in the next WACO, help yourself. The fact that you embrace these people speaks volumes

Last edited by Boompa; 09-01-2009 at 10:11 PM..

Old 09-01-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

True but what you are asking Pondie is a non-issue since it isn't tied into what he was saying. Doesn't mean your statement isn't relevant but remember there are those that do not like guns and it is their right to not carry one and to even disagree with you. They have that right as an American and shouldn't have to move to Mexico...LOL BUt yes, we all should defend our rights and interpretations of the constitution and law just remember that tolerance for dissenting arguments is an American ideal as well. I understand why some people have reservations about seemingly lax gun laws, but I also understand why law abiding citizens feel they have complete support of the constitution; the difficulty of living in arguably the World's most pluralistic society. But it is also great...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I am usually armed too but that has little to do with a group of Domestic Terrorists looking for an armed confrontation with Federal Authorities. If you want to be caught up in the next WACO, help yourself. The fact that you embrace these people speaks volumes
Who am I embracing? Missed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area