Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 PM

784 posts, read 922,700 times

Advertisements

[quote=Ponderosa;23949295]Anyone flying into Phoenix for the first time is stunned by the number of pools visible from the plane window. quote]

Actually I was surprised at the number of homes that didn't have pools...I thought it would have been more...much more.

The house we bought in Marley Park didn't come with one but we made sure it had the room to put on in, which we may do next year. The nice thing is that we will get to do what we want, just the way we like it.

Frankly we don't care if it adds value....I know for this house we would have paid more for it if it already had a pool that we wanted.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMC2012 View Post
Overall I think the value a pool adds is that it is a tool in helping get the sale.
Definitely. We sold our home with a pool in Kingman last August, at probably the low point in the market, in two weeks flat. The home next door to ours was a better model and had been on the market for a couple of years! It has no pool, just a big dirt backyard. Nice backyards definitely sell.

It seems to me that it's the banks that set the value on pools. You can ask whatever you want for a home, and even get a buyer at that price. But then the buyer's bank appraises the home base on comps and allows $10K or thereabouts for a pool without even looking at it. Then you have to meet the bank's appraisal or you don't get the sale. Quite annoying.

We loved our pool though. It was totally state of the art and extremely low maintenance. And it was beautiful. That's the advantage of building a pool yourself; you get exactly what you want. Pools are not created equal. If you buy a home with an existing pool, especially an old one, you may be inheriting someone else's maintenance nightmare.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
Quote:
But then the buyer's bank appraises the home base on comps and allows $10K or thereabouts for a pool without even looking at it.
Based on comps is the important part. Appraisers don't just make up a value, or decide what pools are worth to them personally. The $10k that gets used so much for pools is because that's what they observe in the market. ON AVERAGE here a house with a pool will sell for around $10k more than a similar house without. It doesn't matter what kind of pool, how big, how old, etc. There is no way to tease out the data from comparable sales on details like that, and the banks aren't trying to get things down to the penny. They want a rough estimate of what they can get out of the place should it land in their lap.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Location is more important than any pool. I have been out with several realtors and they told me a pool makes the home harder to sell. Just the liability along should drive most people away from one of those cement ponds.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:17 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Well, I wouldn't own a home here without one. But, I think all who knows me already knows that. I've only lived in one home without a pool, for 2 years. I hated the summer and heat more than any other time. After that I knew, without a pool I would be a sad woman.
I have a pool again and thanks to that I'm looking forward to a couple of 100 degree days, not crying about that cool weather ending. I love my swimming and bbq season.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Location is more important than any pool. I have been out with several realtors and they told me a pool makes the home harder to sell. Just the liability along should drive most people away from one of those cement ponds.
Perhaps those realtors were just telling you what you want to hear, since you seem to have a problem with pools. Here's a quote for you.

"...it's about a 50 – 50 split between people wanting a pool and those that don't. It may be slightly tilted toward those who prefer a pool."

Source: My Swimming Pool… Will it Help or Hurt My Home Sale? : Ask The Agent - The Phoenix Real Estate Guy

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Well, I wouldn't own a home here without one. But, I think all who knows me already knows that. I've only lived in one home without a pool, for 2 years. I hated the summer and heat more than any other time. After that I knew, without a pool I would be a sad woman.
I have a pool again and thanks to that I'm looking forward to a couple of 100 degree days, not crying about that cool weather ending. I love my swimming and bbq season.
I agree totally. I just moved here last June and I loved the summer and the heat mainly because I had the pool. I was either in the pool or at the lake.
Without a pool, I'm not sure how I'd like it here during summer.
All I know is that as long as I live here, I'll have a pool. Even if I bought a house in the future and it didn't have a pool, the worst case scenario is that I'd buy an above ground pool but I'm thankful that I was able to get a place with a rather large inground diving pool and I can't attempt to put a price on my comfort and RandR time.
WOOHOO!

Old 04-20-2012, 07:53 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Perhaps those realtors were just telling you what you want to hear, since you seem to have a problem with pools. Here's a quote for you.

"...it's about a 50 – 50 split between people wanting a pool and those that don't. It may be slightly tilted toward those who prefer a pool."

Source: My Swimming Pool… Will it Help or Hurt My Home Sale? : Ask The Agent - The Phoenix Real Estate Guy
When it comes to real estate people, you are right, anything goes. However let's take this a little further , your numbers are not specific to a geographical area , or the type of buyer. All these items are important to all. Example, realtor 101, says young couples with very young children, are turned off by homes with pools. A good agent will make it a priority to get to know his or hers prospects, if, they want to sell. Simple deduction, time is valuable, do not waste time, yours or the prospects.
I do not hate pools, but I do always size up the potential buyer. It's still a buyers market, trying to convince the young couple they need a pool is a quick way to send them packing, to another real estate firm.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:32 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,131,534 times
If more people wanted homes without pools, the standard appraisal value (again, based on what they observe in the marketplace, as in what sellers pay) wouldn't be $10,000 here in Phoenix, for most homes/areas. I suspect it's less or 0 in retirement communities but most neighborhoods, it's around $10,000. For higher dollar homes, it's more.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
If more people wanted homes without pools, the standard appraisal value (again, based on what they observe in the marketplace, as in what sellers pay) wouldn't be $10,000 here in Phoenix, for most homes/areas. I suspect it's less or 0 in retirement communities but most neighborhoods, it's around $10,000. For higher dollar homes, it's more.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area