Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 04:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I never wrote that.

I easily associate with all people, wealthy, poor, and middle.

It might come across as jealous on my part but I really dislike snobs of any wealth class, especially the people who put on the air that they're better than everyone else just because they live in a Mc Mansion or go heavily in debt to buy a fancy car for showing off.

Much of Scottsdale impresses me as lots of people who fit in that category.
You aren’t wrong. Scottsdale is full of these types of people. This is where they move to if they want to live in the metropolitan area. I say this having tons of family in Scottsdale, a lot of my family members have this attitude. They live in north scottsdale, but not in gated communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 05:07 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,977,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
You aren’t wrong. Scottsdale is full of these types of people. This is where they move to if they want to live in the metropolitan area. I say this having tons of family in Scottsdale, a lot of my family members have this attitude. They live in north scottsdale, but not in gated communities.
Who, exactly, would we be trying to impress?

This is the part of your argument that always falls flat.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:38 PM

1,336 posts, read 929,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilberthomes View Post
Money. It's because they have a lot of money up there Gated communities are really popular with our winter visitors because they are "lock and go." People who live there year-round also feel safer. N. Scottsdale is not a high crime area.
I live in an HOA commty with plenty of snowbirds that have jetted off north. It does seem like everything else being equal, a gated manned entrance would help to stave off crime. Just a bit extra of security.
But I can tell you, if someone wants to target you, it's super easy to get in here via the open spaces that are not fenced in, and even if they were, again, not hard to bypass and get into our subdivision.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:57 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,276,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Catering to the irrational fears of Americans.
This is a community crime map of a small selected portion of the Valley within a one month period. One month. Not to mention mass shootings that we are constantly hearing about. Child abductions. The list goes on. I would hardly say they are irrational fears. Sure, the media sensationalizes a lot of things, but the reality of 2019 is that we really aren't all that safe.

And people who don't have situational awareness or people who don't think anything bad will happen to them....well, those people are usually the first to go when stuff goes down.

Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,558,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Call it what you want but I would rather be an authentic jealous average peson than a fake plastic snob.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 08-29-2019, 04:42 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,911,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
This is a community crime map of a small selected portion of the Valley within a one month period. One month. Not to mention mass shootings that we are constantly hearing about. Child abductions. The list goes on. I would hardly say they are irrational fears. Sure, the media sensationalizes a lot of things, but the reality of 2019 is that we really aren't all that safe.

And people who don't have situational awareness or people who don't think anything bad will happen to them....well, those people are usually the first to go when stuff goes down.
Yes people walking around drunk at 3 am and getting robbed or getting in fights outside bars or getting shot during a drug deal gone bad definitely make me want to live behind walls (sarcasm font). My point is that crime maps such as this absolutely stoke irrational fear as they offer zero context into what actually happened. They're just dots on a map and can seem overwhelming. Random acts of violence do happen, but they usually happen to oblivious people who put themselves in bad situations. Even a large number of home break ins can be linked to people hanging out with criminals, having criminals in their homes, and then getting robbed by said criminals. I'm aware of my surroundings and I'm aware that crime happens but I'm also aware that a gate does little to stop anything and I'm not going go through life being terrified of what-ifs. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:09 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
There are plenty of gated subdivisions in Florida (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Coral Springs, etc) so I don't know why that would surprise you about Scottsdale.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Who, exactly, would we be trying to impress?

This is the part of your argument that always falls flat.

It isn't about impressing any particular person. It's about one upping other people. "Keeping up with the Joneses" so to speak. It's about having status and power over others. It's about having a certain image. Take a look at Instagram when you have the time, and look how many people are trying to "flex" on others. People going into debt to live a certain lifestyle to meet some silly expectation of what they believe is "successful".

Wearing certain designer clothes, driving certain cars, having a certain address, it's all about appearing powerful, wealthy, and of high importance. People who usually think in this more superficial and materialistic way are going to shame others who haven't met this bench line of "success". This is what people mean about snobbish rich people.

People who are like this are more likely to live in Paradise Valley or Scottsdale than anywhere else because Scottsdale and PV have this image of "wealthy and therefore, successful, people live here".

This isn't unique to Scottsdale, by the way. Look at any rich suburb of any metropolitan area of the United States, and you will see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
There are plenty of gated subdivisions in Florida (Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Tampa, Coral Springs, etc) so I don't know why that would surprise you about Scottsdale.
Because this isn't Florida? Why would someone assume Florida and Arizona have the same developments?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
It isn't about impressing any particular person. It's about one upping other people. "Keeping up with the Joneses" so to speak. It's about having status and power over others. It's about having a certain image. Take a look at Instagram when you have the time, and look how many people are trying to "flex" on others. People going into debt to live a certain lifestyle to meet some silly expectation of what they believe is "successful".

Wearing certain designer clothes, driving certain cars, having a certain address, it's all about appearing powerful, wealthy, and of high importance. People who usually think in this more superficial and materialistic way are going to shame others who haven't met this bench line of "success". This is what people mean about snobbish rich people.

People who are like this are more likely to live in Paradise Valley or Scottsdale than anywhere else because Scottsdale and PV have this image of "wealthy and therefore, successful, people live here".

This isn't unique to Scottsdale, by the way. Look at any rich suburb of any metropolitan area of the United States, and you will see it.

Because this isn't Florida? Why would someone assume Florida and Arizona have the same developments?
So if you became a multi millionaire you wouldn't buy nicer things or live in a nicer house?

You make a lot of assumptions about other people simply because they have nicer or more expensive things than you.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,652,870 times
I’d argue that most people that like nice things like them for themselves. I like caviar. It’s a luxury item. I don’t give a rat’s booty who sees me eating it. I enjoy it. It has nothing to do with image. To suggest that luxurious items, nice houses, etc. are only purchased to boost one’s image is just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area