Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM

6 posts, read 15,183 times

Advertisements

We're moving from Florida to Phoenix, and looking for houses in N. Scottsdale. One thing that surprises me is there are so many gated communities in N. Scottsdale. Is there any particular reason? crime? privacy? or else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 PM

6 posts, read 13,565 times
Money. It's because they have a lot of money up there Gated communities are really popular with our winter visitors because they are "lock and go." People who live there year-round also feel safer. N. Scottsdale is not a high crime area.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM

123 posts, read 354,223 times
Usually, the more expensive the area, the more large gated houses you see.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
To keep people honest

Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
snob appeal explains some of it, to be honest....in my opinion, crime is not significantly lower in gated areas....probably fewer Jehovah's Witnesses, but I doubt that's why gated areas exist.....

Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I would love a big home with a big gate at the entrance to the place. Hit the remote and watch that gate open up.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,190 times
I believe it gives an aura of exclusivity. No different that being able to afford an expensive rare car.

From my Dad tells me (retired cop in Texas), all gates do is slow the crooks down and don't keep them out. If they want in bad enough, they'll get in.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
I believe it gives an aura of exclusivity. No different that being able to afford an expensive rare car.

From my Dad tells me (retired cop in Texas), all gates do is slow the crooks down and don't keep them out. If they want in bad enough, they'll get in.
I agree, the gate once the bad guy is in, gives them a nice place to do what they do with little interuption from the ourside. Still it is cool.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,539 times
Sense of security is a primal human desire. The perception helps makes people "feel" safer, even though in most cases it doesn't really work too well.

My parents are in a gated development in San Diego and all I ever hear about from them is an ongoing litany of robbery/petty theft. Every house gives out the entry codes to friends/family. Every company that delivers mail/flowers/pizza/chinese knows how to get in, as do the cable/phone/internet/city services, house cleaners, etc. Their HOA has contracts with dozens of companies to provide landscaping, pool cleaning, painting, irrigation, palm removal, etc. - bringing in truckloads of entry level workers and subcontractors, many of whom probably look at the place and see a lot of relative wealth and a bunch of people who feel protected from the gritty city.

I drive over a few times a year and have never bothered to memorize the gate code because all of the residents and the above mentioned people know it and open the gate every 3-5 minutes. Just follow them in.

Even worse are the gated communities still under development. A builder relies on hundreds of workers from all walks of life to help construct a single home. My friends bought into a really nice development in Mesa and the crime was rampant... people breaking into half built homes to take materials, or fully built homes to take appliances, etc. The thieves knew which houses were unprotected and out of view.

Bottom line: You can't gate a community. The larger it is, the more people know how to get in. And it's probably not wise to have everyone feeling that they wrapped in a blanket of trust. A dose of caution/questioning goes far.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:46 PM

You could find a place like we have in Oxnard CA's Victoria Estates or at Sherwood Country Club in the Thousand Oaks CA area. The gates have a security guard at the entrance to those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area