Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,297,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
People who are snobbish tend to live in gated communities behind a very false sense of security for exclusiveness and status. It's not about mistrusting the police. It's about maintaining a prestigious image. People who chase status and prestige are more likely to chase the rich suburbs and areas of their cities, in our case that's Scottsdale and PV. This isn't unique for us, look at Beverly Hills and Upper East Side as other examples. Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are just the Phoenix examples.

There's a reason we have the word "Snobsdale". There is also a reason we have the word "Gunnyslope". It's based on reputations. Not everyone that falls in a city's reputation fits the description, but maybe you should relearn how reputations and stereotypes work if you can't understand that.

You can be a millionaire and not participate in this nonsense. It's simple. Live somewhere that's a cohesive part of the city you choose to live and work in. The city that gives you roads to drive on, water to drink, people who can cook you food when you go out to eat, people to socialize with, amenities to enjoy... . If there are problems with your city, then become an activist and vote on policies that will help change that. No one should be afraid to participate and enjoy the city they live in. If you feel that way then work on changing that.

But I don't give any sympathy or kindness for people who are rich enough to live in a gated community with high HOA fees who don't even know their mayor and/or city council representative and have the "I have my cake and I am going to eat it too while I watch you starve" mentality if there area truly has high crime rates. Maybe if you put those extra HOA fees to your taxes we could have a better police force, or offer other amenities like improved schooling that will encourage people to stay away from crime because they see some way to achieve "upward mobility".

Since a couple people have felt to take it upon themselves to project my comments onto them, if the above paragraph sounds like you, then you might as well put on the shoe and "strut your stuff", pun intended. But if the above paragraph does not fit you, then you shouldn't be getting defensive.
So...how do you really feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 03:55 PM

586 posts, read 544,586 times
Prickly Pear might be part of the reason gated communities are popular.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:01 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,307,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
People who are snobbish tend to live in gated communities behind a very false sense of security for exclusiveness and status. It's not about mistrusting the police. It's about maintaining a prestigious image. People who chase status and prestige are more likely to chase the rich suburbs and areas of their cities, in our case that's Scottsdale and PV. This isn't unique for us, look at Beverly Hills and Upper East Side as other examples. Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are just the Phoenix examples.

There's a reason we have the word "Snobsdale". There is also a reason we have the word "Gunnyslope". It's based on reputations. Not everyone that falls in a city's reputation fits the description, but maybe you should relearn how reputations and stereotypes work if you can't understand that.

You can be a millionaire and not participate in this nonsense. It's simple. Live somewhere that's a cohesive part of the city you choose to live and work in. The city that gives you roads to drive on, water to drink, people who can cook you food when you go out to eat, people to socialize with, amenities to enjoy... . If there are problems with your city, then become an activist and vote on policies that will help change that. No one should be afraid to participate and enjoy the city they live in. If you feel that way then work on changing that.

But I don't give any sympathy or kindness for people who are rich enough to live in a gated community with high HOA fees who don't even know their mayor and/or city council representative and have the "I have my cake and I am going to eat it too while I watch you starve" mentality if there area truly has high crime rates. Maybe if you put those extra HOA fees to your taxes we could have a better police force, or offer other amenities like improved schooling that will encourage people to stay away from crime because they see some way to achieve "upward mobility".

Since a couple people have felt to take it upon themselves to project my comments onto them, if the above paragraph sounds like you, then you might as well put on the shoe and "strut your stuff", pun intended. But if the above paragraph does not fit you, then you shouldn't be getting defensive.
This is funny because people that live in gated communities probably pay 5-10X your rate in property taxes and substantially more income tax as well, for the "roads we all drive on and sidewalks we walk on". It is absolutely clear to me now that you are jealous. My suggestion is to work harder.

Old 08-30-2019, 05:28 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,042,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
This is funny because people that live in gated communities probably pay 5-10X your rate in property taxes and substantially more income tax as well, for the "roads we all drive on and sidewalks we walk on". It is absolutely clear to me now that you are jealous. My suggestion is to work harder.

Prickly Pear has a job?!

Old 08-30-2019, 05:42 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,993,124 times
North Scottsdale has gated communities because it has a lot of demand from wealthy people who like that sort of neighborhood.

I personally don’t like that style of living but I don’t have kids and prefer being close to things. More power to them

Old 08-30-2019, 05:46 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,993,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap1719 View Post
You just won Powerball so take money out of the equation. Where would you buy a house if living in Phoenix area? That answers the question.
Not really.

I’d keep my house and travel full time around the world

Old 08-30-2019, 06:56 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,781,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
That's about the size of it. Many Snobsdale residents seem to be on an invisible high horse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Couldn't agree more.
[quote=Prickly Pear;56056179]It isn't about impressing any particular person. It's about one upping other people. "Keeping up with the Joneses" so to speak. It's about having status and power over others. It's about having a certain image. Take a look at Instagram when you have the time, and look how many people are trying to "flex" on others. People going into debt to live a certain lifestyle to meet some silly expectation of what they believe is "successful".

Wearing certain designer clothes, driving certain cars, having a certain address, it's all about appearing powerful, wealthy, and of high importance. People who usually think in this more superficial and materialistic way are going to shame others who haven't met this bench line of "success". This is what people mean about snobbish rich people.

People who are like this are more likely to live in Paradise Valley or Scottsdale than anywhere else because Scottsdale and PV have this image of "wealthy and therefore, successful, people live here".

This isn't unique to Scottsdale, by the way. Look at any rich suburb of any metropolitan area of the United States, and you will see it.”

YES! We lived in gray hawk in our early 20’s and have since lived in several other areas with MUCH MUCH higher median income (we are talking one $212k a year for MEDIAN income) and none of them flashed around their money like Scottsdale. In fact, it’s been quite the opposite. In both Washington and Minnesota, the truly wealthy don’t try to prove anything despite being exceptionally wealthy. In other words, in most of the country (also lived in NYC for a bit) does not want to show off their wealth. It’s the wanna-bes that tend to flaunt their “money” around.

Last edited by Minntoaz; 08-30-2019 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Missing comma

Old 08-30-2019, 07:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,781,359 times
I remember living in a gated community in North Scottsdale and there were about 18 layers of security but lo and behold car break-ins were happening (I believe they were unlocked which is a whole different conversation). Also, said community had hyeenas (rather frequently in fact), packs of coyotes and the cherry on top was a HUGE rattlesnake trying to get under our door! But hey it was gated LOL

Old 08-31-2019, 08:51 AM

15,223 posts, read 10,389,174 times
Hyenas are not native to the United States. Perhaps it was wild dogs?

Old 08-31-2019, 09:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,699,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minntoaz View Post
I remember living in a gated community in North Scottsdale and there were about 18 layers of security but lo and behold car break-ins were happening (I believe they were unlocked which is a whole different conversation). Also, said community had hyeenas (rather frequently in fact), packs of coyotes and the cherry on top was a HUGE rattlesnake trying to get under our door! But hey it was gated LOL
Hyenas???!! Are you sure you weren't living in Africa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area