Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Is this chair phenomenon all year round or only when there is snow?
Depends on the neighborhood. Mostly, it's only after big storms. But some neighborhoods have a small percentage of people who do it all year long.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:24 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,202,758 times
My earliest recollection of it was from growing up 2 blocks from Shadyside's Hunt Armory. Long before the Civic Arena, the Convention Center, or anything like the Expo Mart, events like the Boat show and the Cars shows were held at Hunt Armory. While everyday parking wasn't usually an issue in those days, during those events, the surrounding streets were a mess, because there was no such thing as a parking lot of any size anywhere nearby. I specifically remember Dad putting out the chair in front of our house, and asking him why.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:07 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
In my experience, as far as big cities go, Pittsburgh is average to nice. Not nearly as confrontational as a Philly or NY or Chicago, but also not as friendly as a Seattle.
I've lived in NY, DC, Pittsburgh, LA, Portland, and Seattle, and Seattle was by far the least friendly among them.

I didn't realize completely how much I had disliked living there until the days and weeks after 9/11, when the thought occurred to me from time to time that it was a shame they chose New York instead of Seattle.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:05 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've lived in NY, DC, Pittsburgh, LA, Portland, and Seattle, and Seattle was by far the least friendly among them.

I didn't realize completely how much I had disliked living there until the days and weeks after 9/11, when the thought occurred to me from time to time that it was a shame they chose New York instead of Seattle.
Ok fine, how about Salt Lake City instead of Seattle?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:27 AM

65 posts, read 132,137 times
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I would have to say that Seattle is the least friendly city I have ever been to in the U.S ( although they are not confrontational). While visiting Pittsburgh, I never encountered an unfriendly person. Sure, there are some rough types around, and I wouldnt walk around town with a Green Bay Packers shirt, but I was truly astounded at how nice everyone was, from store clerks, to bus drivers, to men in suit's. I wish I lived there.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:10 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
I feel like the times in which you will likely find the most confrontational people have to be when dealing with traffic. This applies between cars, or from a car to pedestrians and bicyclists. At times, there seems to be quite the road rage around here, but then again, I can't truly say how it compares to other cities.
i am the text book example of the thread subject, being VERY confrontational with what i see are bad drivers that dont use their head, or dont exercise anticipation and caution.

some day i will be shot dead, i suppose.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Overall I find Pittsburghers (or should I say "Greater Pittsburghers" to include our 'burb friends?) to be very pleasant, friendly, and down-to-earth.

As far as the parking chairs go I do NOT submit to them. If I need a spot I'll put on my hazard lights, move your chairs onto the sidewalk, and park my vehicle. In Northern Virginia I shoveled out no less than a dozen vehicles at my apartment complexes during our three sizable snow storms in the 2009-2010 season. On Brereton Street I spent two hours one evening AFTER WORK shoveling out the space in front of my car for my landlady to park in when she would be home from work a couple hours after me, as well as shoveling out the sidewalk and several more vehicles along my side of the block.

When I see a lawn chair taking up an on-street parking space I think to myself "that person is a jerk".

P.S. While we're on the topic of parking complaints may I ask why the city issues expensive parking tickets to MY marked delivery vehicle and NOT to UPS, FedEx, the U.S. Postal Service, or pizza delivery vehicles? Are they in an elite club that my business is NOT in?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:01 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,447 times
Yes.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaumecpdx View Post
Living in the Pacific Northwest, I would have to say that Seattle is the least friendly city I have ever been to in the U.S ( although they are not confrontational). While visiting Pittsburgh, I never encountered an unfriendly person. Sure, there are some rough types around, and I wouldnt walk around town with a Green Bay Packers shirt, but I was truly astounded at how nice everyone was, from store clerks, to bus drivers, to men in suit's. I wish I lived there.
You'd get less hell in Pittsburgh wearing a Packers shirt than you would wearing a Browns, Ravens, Bengals, Patriots, Raiders, Cowboys, Eagles, or even a Seahawks shirt.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I think that's ridiculous. When it snows here people dig out as well and you just lose your spot. It all evens out though because most people have to shovel to get out so you take someone else's spot and they take yours.
It's not ridiculous and if you move here, remember, that it is a Pittsburgh standard.
You can be the jagoff who moves into a new place and wants to change it or you can assimilate to the local customs.

This is not NJ. If you want NJ rules, perhaps you should stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Overall I find Pittsburghers (or should I say "Greater Pittsburghers" to include our 'burb friends?) to be very pleasant, friendly, and down-to-earth.

As far as the parking chairs go I do NOT submit to them. If I need a spot I'll put on my hazard lights, move your chairs onto the sidewalk, and park my vehicle. In Northern Virginia I shoveled out no less than a dozen vehicles at my apartment complexes during our three sizable snow storms in the 2009-2010 season. On Brereton Street I spent two hours one evening AFTER WORK shoveling out the space in front of my car for my landlady to park in when she would be home from work a couple hours after me, as well as shoveling out the sidewalk and several more vehicles along my side of the block.

When I see a lawn chair taking up an on-street parking space I think to myself "that person is a jerk".

P.S. While we're on the topic of parking complaints may I ask why the city issues expensive parking tickets to MY marked delivery vehicle and NOT to UPS, FedEx, the U.S. Postal Service, or pizza delivery vehicles? Are they in an elite club that my business is NOT in?
Then why not move back to Virginia?
Pittsburgh would be a better place if people assimilated instead of bucking the established system.

See comment above but exchange NoVA for NJ.

Maybe the city knows that it's you! You talk about how aggressive you can be when driving, honking horns and being a goofball driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh