Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
How do you keep an idiot busy?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

You spent a looooooooooong time creating that, didn't you?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Speaking of stupidity, I've been wondering something stupid lately. All of the birds are back in town making crazy noise in my yard. When they all head south, it must be very noisy down there in the winter with all the birds living together in the warmer states. I wonder if they have factions---the locals and the newcomers.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank some people on this sub-forum for changing one of my bad driving habits---driving around jaywalkers instead of just yielding to them. Recently I've changed my tune. While I once thought yielding to jaywalkers would just encourage them to jaywalk more in the future I've noticed that if I just stop and wave them across I only lose a few seconds, and knowing I did a good deed more than makes up for the inconvenience to my schedule.

I'm an East Coast boy born and bred, and we're a bit more fast-paced due to the higher population density. I'm still adjusting to the slower pace of life here, and I'm really starting to like it more as I become more relaxed (or maybe I'm just getting older?!)

Old 06-01-2013, 11:29 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm really starting to like it more as I become more relaxed (or maybe I'm just getting older?!)
Probably a little of both. Wait till you get to be my age...

Old 06-03-2013, 06:13 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
I'm an East Coast boy born and bred, and we're a bit more fast-paced due to the higher population density. I'm still adjusting to the slower pace of life here, and I'm really starting to like it more as I become more relaxed (or maybe I'm just getting older?!)
I'll vote with "getting older".

As some of you know, I'm in CT for a few weeks. So I want to introduce my nephew to a dive burger joint I used to love way back when (Greasy Nicks, if you're a fan). Nephew says he wants to drive. He's flying down I95 trying to do 80 in 3rd lane while tailgating a guy in front and cursing about stupid drivers. It's maybe a little after PM rush hour.

I simply smh and say to him, "You're in Westchester County on I95 doing 70+ in a 55mph zone. Stop whining and take your wins when you get them."

Old 06-03-2013, 07:24 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank some people on this sub-forum for changing one of my bad driving habits---driving around jaywalkers instead of just yielding to them. Recently I've changed my tune. While I once thought yielding to jaywalkers would just encourage them to jaywalk more in the future I've noticed that if I just stop and wave them across I only lose a few seconds, and knowing I did a good deed more than makes up for the inconvenience to my schedule.

Quote:
According to recent research, the earliest use of the word jaywalker in print was in the Chicago Tribune in 1909. (The earliest citation in the Oxford English Dictionary is from 1917.) The term's dissemination was due in part to a deliberate effort by promoters of automobiles, such as local auto clubs and dealers, to redefine streets as places where pedestrians do not belong...Originally, the legal rule was that "all persons have an equal right in the highway, and that in exercising the right each shall take due care not to injure other users of the way."[5] In time, however, streets became the province of motorized traffic, both practically and legally. Automobile interests in the USA took up the cause of labeling and scorning jaywalkers in the 1910s and early 1920s; a counter-campaign to name (and disapprove of) "jay drivers" failed
Jaywalking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've recently realized that jaywalking is simply a return to a time streets were shared. it's interesting, to me at least, that the old rule required you to think about the other person while the new rules gives you license to ignore the other person.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
"a counter-campaign to name (and disapprove of) "jay drivers" failed"
LOL LOL yet another campaign you wish had hit during the mass media era... can you imagine the tv ads?

Old 06-03-2013, 08:39 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Ugh! Just had my first brush with road rage on our local roadways tonight in a very long time. Scott R. Priester would be proud. While driving on the Parkway East INbound in the right-most lane I had just passed the Glenwood exit and was approaching the exit ramp to the Boulevard of the Allies inbound. Just before the exit a guy in an older sedan flew in front of me (no blinker) and nearly took out my front bumper to exit. I blared my horn, and he flipped me off. While I may have otherwise just muttered angrily to myself I was feeling upset from a death in the family and took this to be a "challenge" as I gunned it up the offramp and began to tailgate him. When we got onto the Boulevard of the Allies we ended up in gridlock beside each other. I yelled out the window "Do you know what a blinker is?", and he replied to me with a nasty gay slur that rhymes with maggot (I guess my new "hipster" car looks "gay" to people?) I screamed profanities back at him, and we began to become very heated, honking and screaming at each other, until he veered off onto Jumonville Street into Uptown. He was a 50-something white male with a heavy "yinzer" accent, and I'm guessing he was going to South Side via the Birmingham Bridge.

Friends have chided me for this and have advised me to apply for a permit to carry. If future situations like this arise I probably should so I can defend myself if necessary. Pittsburgh will be a much better place when people like him fully die off. He's probably the same type of guy who tried starting a fight with me in an argument over a "personal" public on-street parking space on Harcum Way in South Side last year when I was making a delivery. These types of people need to move out of the city ASAP so it can realize its fullest potential.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:51 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
My response to crazy drivers is to just let them be crazy and put myself in a position where they can least likely do me harm. Letting myself get angry at them only succeeds at letting them have power over me and my mood. If you're prone to road rage, I think it would be a better idea to pursue avenues of de-escalation, and carrying around a gun accomplishes the exact opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh