Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
hey i was only talking down payment money but if u have a spare $40k. ; )
Oh sure, I've got a spare $40k and a nice bridge to sell.

Help with a down payment may be do-able in a few years. They're too young now. Plus they haven't even been dating that long. But should things last and they get some skills, they are both talented and determined so who knows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:15 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
From the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/08/di...tw-share&_r=2&

Quote:
Pittsburgh has come a long way.

“If you had told me 10 years ago that I could open a restaurant in this city without a steak on the menu, I wouldn’t have believed it,” said Trevett Hooper, the chef and owner of Legume in the Oakland neighborhood. Stinging nettle pesto, dandelion greens, and — yes — pierogi, topped with house-made kimchi and sausage were on the menu in late April.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:44 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,358 times
Quote:
being able to buy a top notch margherita on market sq at 12:30 am is a welcome addition. the new il pizz is tasty and a beautiful space
Right around the corner is Stone, better and much more reasonable imo.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Had a 1/2 scoop of Lemon Prickly Pear sorbet and a 1/2 scoop of Peach sorbet at Antney's today. Delicious and refreshing.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Right around the corner is Stone, better and much more reasonable imo.
while it's debatable that it's actually better (the pizza I had from il pizz was excellent, no complaints whatsoever) the fact remains stone was closed and I was hungry. stone's closing very early on saturday.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,358 times
Ah yes. Closed at 3 I believe on Saturdays.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:41 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Had a 1/2 scoop of Lemon Prickly Pear sorbet and a 1/2 scoop of Peach sorbet at Antney's today. Delicious and refreshing.
ooh, a place with a robust sorbet selection is relevant to my interests! i will have to check this place out.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
ooh, a place with a robust sorbet selection is relevant to my interests! i will have to check this place out.
They typically only have three sorbets to choose from, but the choices change often and they are unique. They also have three frozen yogurt selections and about 15+ ice cream choices. Constant change of flavors. I guess Anthony gets bored doing the same flavors over and over. Let me know how you like it. Tell them you know Julie. I go almost daily.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:54 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Where is this "Edgar's" of which you speak? I'm always on the hunt for a good taco.
Quote:
Right outside the front door of Reyna Foods, a Strip District grocer at the corner of 21st and Penn known for its homemade corn tortillas, sits Edgar's Tacos, a cart that's not much larger than your average kitchen counter. Even so, this taqueria churns out a remarkable amount of food on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Edgar take the orders while his sidekick mans the grill and, together, the two men turn out delicate taco pairs (you'd be silly not to order two) that can be plumped with barbacoa (marinated lamb), lengua (beef tongue), chorizo (dry sausage), fish or shrimp. Each taco is topped with lettuce, tomato, onions, sour cream, cheese, a spritz of lemon and a dusting of cilantro and a piping-hot, folded-over corn tortilla from Reyna's seals the deal. While aficionados would argue the point over an ice-cold agua fresca (fresh-squeezed fruit drinks flavored with, say, cantaloupe or watermelon), these could easily be the best tacos in western Pennsylvania.
5 things not to miss on Penn Avenue in the Strip

Old 05-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
"Each taco is topped with lettuce, tomato, onions, sour cream, cheese, a spritz of lemon and a dusting of cilantro and a piping-hot, folded-over corn tortilla from Reyna's seals the deal. While aficionados would argue the point over an ice-cold agua fresca (fresh-squeezed fruit drinks flavored with, say, cantaloupe or watermelon), these could easily be the best tacos in western Pennsylvania."

The lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream are probably added for American palates, because otherwise they sound quite autentico. I feel funny saying "American" palates. On one of my trips to Mexico many years ago I told an older Mexican gentleman that I was American. He said "so am I" explaining that Mexico is in the Americas. I qualified it by saying that I was "North American" and he said "so am I" as Mexico is part of North America. So then I said I was from the United States. He knew what I was getting at from the start, but he wanted to point out that Americans (those from the USA) aren't the only people who are part of the Americas. It was eye opening for a young woman of 19 who hadn't thought much about what life was like elsewhere in the world until that trip. Funny how talking about tacos can bring back an old memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh