Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times

Advertisements

the article doesnt mention it but they have other toppings from pickled jalapenos (my pick) to habaneros and a few others that i cant remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 PM

338 posts, read 446,934 times
I wish we had a restaurant similar to El Vez in Philadelphia. The atmosphere is fun and lively, the food is good and the drinks are great. A place like this would be a great addition.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Maybe the forumites would know this - is there anywhere in Pittsburgh to get some good veggie sushi?

Every single place I've been to in Pittsburgh has limited vegetarian sushi choices to the typical oshinko/cucumber/avacado. Inari is pretty rare. I can't say I've seen natto, yamagobo, kampyo, or ume siso anywhere.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 AM

606 posts, read 944,074 times
Eschaton: Chaya (Squirrel Hill) has everything you're looking for! They have kampyo, umeshiso, and yamagobo plus a veggie tempura roll. Several of their appetizers include natto so I'll bet they'd make you a natto maki on request even if it's not on the menu. And they have inari and several vegetarian appetizers (tsukemono, seaweed salad, rice balls with plum paste, chilled tofu). We aren't vegetarian but we often get at least one of the vegetarian rolls because they do a good job with them.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
I've been in CT on a project for the past month. And while I've been really happy with most of the progress in the Pgh food scene over the past decade, being back in CT where I grew up made me realize we're still missing a few things (or at least I am).

1. "Hard rolls."
I guess I never realized these might be a CT/Northeast thing. But IMO, these beauties make a deli sandwich.
2. Better delis. Goes hand-in-hand with #1.
3. A place like Brasitas (but less expensive). Alma gets close, but we're not there yet.
4. More ethnic in the burbs. Seems every single mid-sized town of 20K-50K has at least one indie place for Mex, Japanese, Thai, regional Chinese, Brazil/Argentinian, Central American, Malaysian, Vietnamese/Cambodian. And even some of the tinier towns have some of these covered.
5. The antithesis of Betos/Police Station Pizza: Colony. I'd love to buy in on a Pgh location if I had the $. These guys print money. Your anorexic niece could eat a whole one and then some. IMO, the ultimate bar pie.

I think if I had those things in addition to what Pgh now offers, life would be perfect!

Old 05-19-2013, 12:04 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,313 times
You had to mention hard rolls, now I'm sad and craving them. I've been waiting for my entire time in Pittsburgh for someone here to start making hard rolls with no luck. I try to grab a bag of them whenever I'm back in Jersey but then I eat them all in two days.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:19 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
You had to mention hard rolls, now I'm sad and craving them. I've been waiting for my entire time in Pittsburgh for someone here to start making hard rolls with no luck. I try to grab a bag of them whenever I'm back in Jersey but then I eat them all in two days.
I wonder where the hard roll border is? I swear I could get them in Philly and in the Allentown area, although I think the generic 'hoagie roll' is more prevalent closer to Philly. I've seen small poppy seed rolls in Pgh, but those are more like dinner rolls. Then again, the combo of flakier crusts with a tight crumb inside doesn't seem to be a thing in Pgh, given popularity of Mancinis.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:22 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've been in CT on a project for the past month. And while I've been really happy with most of the progress in the Pgh food scene over the past decade, being back in CT where I grew up made me realize we're still missing a few things (or at least I am).

1. "Hard rolls."
I guess I never realized these might be a CT/Northeast thing. But IMO, these beauties make a deli sandwich.
2. Better delis. Goes hand-in-hand with #1.
3. A place like Brasitas (but less expensive). Alma gets close, but we're not there yet.
4. More ethnic in the burbs. Seems every single mid-sized town of 20K-50K has at least one indie place for Mex, Japanese, Thai, regional Chinese, Brazil/Argentinian, Central American, Malaysian, Vietnamese/Cambodian. And even some of the tinier towns have some of these covered.
5. The antithesis of Betos/Police Station Pizza: Colony. I'd love to buy in on a Pgh location if I had the $. These guys print money. Your anorexic niece could eat a whole one and then some. IMO, the ultimate bar pie.

I think if I had those things in addition to what Pgh now offers, life would be perfect!
I'm back in SF right now and I'm experiencing something similar with my favorite ethnic foods, local specialities, etc. that Pittsburgh doesn't have. Love Pittsburgh, but the local dining options could be way better. I will say that Pittsburgh does seem to be moving in the right direction, but it has a long way to go.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:38 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

1. "Hard rolls."
I guess I never realized these might be a CT/Northeast thing. But IMO, these beauties make a deli sandwich. ... I think if I had those things in addition to what Pgh now offers, life would be perfect!
The hard roll is such a thing of beauty. If you can't get it in CT, stop at some NJ diner and get a pork roll, scrambled egg, & cheese sandwich on a hard roll. You will want to move there.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
i remember thinking the hard rolls in ct were too squishy compared to the ones in new york.

but sskink is probably in fairfield county, which is a lot new yorkier than where i lived (the northwest corner of the state).

i also miss portugese rolls. they have them at whole foods but they are expensive and not as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh