Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think Pghers like more and would vote for?
RON PAUL, we need some serious real change! 11 26.83%
Mitt Romney, I think he represents us well and I will vote for him! 4 9.76%
I am voting for my dog or just will not vote! 4 9.76%
I am afraid I will have to vote for Obama again! 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
So you feel if Paul got voted in, he wouldn't be allowed to be president?
Um, no. I feel--and in fact know--that Paul would never get voted in.

The basic truth about Paul is that he actually benefits from not being taken seriously as a candidate. Among other things, that allows him to present his views selectively depending on his audience. For example, if it is younger/libertarian types he is talking to, he can talk about reducing militarism and stopping the war on drugs. But if it is older right-wing-fringe evangelicals he is talking to, he can talk about eliminating the role of the federal courts in religion, reinstating the gold standard, and world-government conspiracies.

However, if Paul actually became a major party candidate--which itself does not look very likely--he would have to answer to everyone for everything he believes. And his combination of beliefs, when considered in full, would be utterly unacceptable to the vast majority of voters.

So he would get overwhelmingly rejected by the voters in any such hypothetical election. But as long as he is not taken seriously as a candidate and therefore can keep showing different faces to different audiences, he can maintain a low but steady amount of support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
It appears Mitt Romney won New Hampshire with Ron Paul in 2nd place. What happened to Paul having no chance in hell? It's just the beginning folks.
If Paul can only get 23% of the Republican primary vote in NH, which allows independents to vote in the Republican primaries and is among the most libertarian-minded states in the country, he has no chance of ever being the Republican nominee.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Brain, that isn't some earth shattering prediction. It doesn't really matter much anyway. Either way, the president is controlled by the lobbies with money and power. Those lobbies with there powerful money want costly things, like wars and more military presence in the Mideast. No one is going to change the military complex now. It is in place and that is where our money is going to go. $100 cokes anyone? What a joke!

Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Sadly, if any stance that goes against the status quo of the same old American politician is viewed as "fringe" there is little hope for this country going forward regardless of candidate. This isn't even about Paul really, if Americans are complacent with being fed the same pile of crap they've been eating for years then what's the point of the whole dog and pony show anyway?
Over time--and sometimes it doesn't take long--issues and ideas can work their way from "fringe" status to part of the main public discourse, and sometimes eventually become majority views.

In fact, Paul may well be helping that happen for various worthy issues and ideas. Personally, I've always thought that while I would never want him to actually be President, I do think it is helpful for him to be a prominent candidate for the Republican nomination.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Brain, that isn't some earth shattering prediction.
I never claimed otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh