Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 AM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times

Advertisements

Boston is a consideration....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,592,659 times
If this growth continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see Latrobe become something of an international airport, especially if they start offering flights to Toronto. There's lots of land around there to expand upon, including the adjacent shopping plaza which I'm sure the airport could acquire for extra parking if it ever comes down to it. I agree that Latrobe and the Greater Greensburg area in general could become even more desirable as a bedroom community for Pittsburgh, not like it isn't already. If anything, I think PennDOT might have to relook into that Laurel Valley Expressway project that they were proposing to build from the PA Turnpike to the airport and Route 22 some years back, that area could REALLY explode in growth if they considered building it.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Boston is a consideration....
Really?! Is it under serious consideration? If so, any idea what the timeframe might be for them to implement flights to and from Boston?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 PM

22,600 posts, read 47,707,443 times
No time frame... just a city that comes up with every new consideration for expansion.

Seem, though, that Spirit is most interested in points south....
Lauderdale (their hub to the Caribbean/central America), then Myrtle, now Orlando.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,669,143 times
Seems odd to me that they even fly from LGA and BOS. I always figured them to be kind of on Southwest's old model, where they would specifically choose to be at less expensive alternatives. But that's not really what they're doing. They do MCO, ORD, LAX, etc. I guess Allegiant is closer to that dinky airport model. You can fly Allegiant from Youngstown to a few places. I looked into that for Orlando, but it's not daily and not on the days I needed. They fly into Sanford, which is not exactly Orlando but somewhat north and east of it (also where the Amtrak comes into that area). But it would have been fine for this particular trip.

Somehow I can't really picture LBE-LGA or LBE-BOS anytime soon though. I think what's working for Spirit is what worked for so many others, flying south from those places, not so much flying between them, though they do a few. Spirit is covering Central America and the Carribean pretty well now it seems. LBE-FLL-then you can get to several of the islands and Central American countries, and Peru. And they have a lot more places down there they actually go from FLL.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:29 PM

38 posts, read 59,602 times
LBE-LGA would have me on it once a week, as long as it is early AM departure after 6P return - aka business hours. Not really for the money but for extra sleep I could get.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,858 times
Quote:
If this growth continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see Latrobe become something of an international airport,
That won't happen. Best case, would be a few more national routes.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
There is talk of an expressway creating a direct link from the PA Turnpike to the Arnold Palmer Airport in Latrobe. According to the article, the proposed expressway would follow route 981, and it would cut the travel time from forty-one minutes (via the New Stanton exit) to eighteen minutes (via the proposed expressway).

Call renewed for Pennsylvania Turnpike, Arnold Palmer airport link | TribLIVE

Old 09-27-2012, 10:48 AM

369 posts, read 463,538 times
Quote:
The economic benefits that project will create can’t be predicted. It will be tremendous,” John Skiavo, president of the Economic Growth Connection of Westmoreland,
Call renewed for Pennsylvania Turnpike, Arnold Palmer airport link | TribLIVE

That's what Westmoreland Country said about Toll 66, which turned out to be an economic development dud.

I'm all for highways, but the Turnpike Commission shouldn't consider this until after both the MFE and Southern Beltway are complete, if that ever happens.

Separately, I don't know if it has been mentioned yet, but Spirit will begin LBE- Dallas/Ft. Worth service (3x weekly) next summer.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,830,067 times
so who pays for this? IMO, the turnpike commission should not be building any new roads unless they are profitable. If it isn't profitable, the funding should come from the airport. the turnpike is not in a financial position to take on any unprofitable segments and really needs to add new profitable segments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh