Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:45 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,142,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
$60 is only the "base fare" excluding taxes, fees, and FUEL! When you add in those "extras", the price nearly doubles. By the time you add in baggage fees, the price is roughly equivalent to any other airline. Spirit Airlines are masters of deception. People see "$60" and they get all excited. They don't read the fine print.

If you are a businessman who travels with only the clothes on his back and a small carry-on, I suppose Spirit works. But if you are traveling for leisure or an extended stay with multiple suitcases and carry-ons, this airline is a rip-off.

I am currently looking for flights to Pittsburgh later this summer at a non-peak time. Was considering Spirit to Latrobe, but they are no cheaper than Delta or Airtran to PIT. Latrobe also means I will need to rent a car instead of taking public transit. There is also only one flight from FLL to Latrobe per day seemingly and they are not the times I want. The price of renting a car would more than offset any savings from the flight costs. I could fly Delta from FLL and have 5+ choices of flight times.
I thought there was a federal law now that airlines can only advertise the actual price including taxes and junk fees. What is advertised is the full amount you pay and can't be hidden in the fine print. Things like baggage can vary from person to person so that might not be included. A person should be allowed one free carry-on as few travel with no baggage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,890,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I thought there was a federal law now that airlines can only advertise the actual price including taxes and junk fees. What is advertised is the full amount you pay and can't be hidden in the fine print. Things like baggage can vary from person to person so that might not be included. A person should be allowed one free carry-on as few travel with no baggage.
Just checked out of curiosity. Seemed pretty straight forward to me. Picked flight dated and following page had in small type: Base Fare $xx + Fuel $xx + Governments Cut $xx = Total Price $xx (with the total price being in larger font). Saw nothing hidden there.

Yes there are baggage fees that are extra which while I wish we lived back in the days of no bag fees from any airlines, we don't, and if I can purchase a cheaper ticket by having no baggage & not having to subsidies those that do its fine with me. (You are allowed one personal item to carry on free such as a bookbag).

I've flown them a handful of times & it's always been dirt cheap in comparison to other options.
If you live in or closer to the city, don't have a car & are taking lots of luggage then yea there are probably comparable alternatives out there.

Btw, I'm sure the govt would love to prohibit airlines from noting taxes on individual tickets but thus far this is not the law

Old 01-15-2015, 07:06 PM

75 posts, read 120,361 times
I have flown with Allegiant several times between Upstate NY and Florida. Here's what I think :

The Good
Cheaper fares
Non stop flights. No worries about getting stranded in Cleveland because of snow
Secondary airports are used, which is actually more convienient for me
For $20 I can guarantee a bulkhead seat. I'm 6'6" so this is very important to me!
Flights are frequently late, but not more so than any other airline

The Bad
Ridiculous "optional fees". There's a convenience charge for booking online, and a higher one if you book by phone. No way to avoid such fees, this company knows how to nickel and dime you
Fees for checked bags AND carryons!
Old rickety planes, frequently overbooked
Non existant customer service. It takes an hour long toll call to reach anybody.
Different pricing /fees than most other Airlines. It doesn't matter if you're a frequent flier, you need to know how Allegiant works, or pay through the nose.

In short, I will fly with Allegiant again, but only because they are cheap and I'm not on a strict schedule. Spirit and JetBlue are better options to be honest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh