Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,034,418 times

Advertisements

We should concentrate transportation spending on addressing existing needs first, before spending on speculative "development" projects (particularly ones dependent on something as uncertain as the long-term prospects of small airports).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,677,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
There is talk of an expressway creating a direct link from the PA Turnpike to the Arnold Palmer Airport in Latrobe. According to the article, the proposed expressway would follow route 981, and it would cut the travel time from forty-one minutes (via the New Stanton exit) to eighteen minutes (via the proposed expressway).

Call renewed for Pennsylvania Turnpike, Arnold Palmer airport link | TribLIVE
It is kind of interesting that the discussion has shifted from connecting New Stanton directly with the airport and Route 30, to using existing Route 981. This means adding a new Turnpike interchange in a very rural location between the existing New Stanton and Donegal interchanges. New Stanton is already a major intersection with the Turnpike, Route 70, the 66 Bypass, and Route 119. Connecting directly to New Stanton would add no more than 3-4 miles to a new highway. It is a small project compared to the Mon-Valley Expressway and makes more economic sense than extending Route 219 from I-68 to Buffalo.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
There is talk of an expressway creating a direct link from the PA Turnpike to the Arnold Palmer Airport in Latrobe. According to the article, the proposed expressway would follow route 981, and it would cut the travel time from forty-one minutes (via the New Stanton exit) to eighteen minutes (via the proposed expressway).

Call renewed for Pennsylvania Turnpike, Arnold Palmer airport link | TribLIVE
This is great news. I really would like to see Latrobe Airport be an option for us all. Spirit could really be great for those of us that need to fly and it sure would be great to have free parking and be treated so much better than PIT. Competition is great. Thanks for the update.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:59 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We should concentrate transportation spending on addressing existing needs first, before spending on speculative "development" projects (particularly ones dependent on something as uncertain as the long-term prospects of small airports).

I don't think its that "speculative". The Palmer Airport is more convenient to a lot of folks in the area, particularly if the Westmoreland County and other points east continue to grow with the expansion of the gas industry and other related projects.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,139,092 times
Spirit has begun flights to Dallas-Fort Worth

Spirit Airlines inaugurates flights to Dallas-Fort Worth from Arnold Palmer airport | TribLIVE

Average ticket prices of $60 one-way is pretty good. I hope return is about as cheap.

Latrobe has one 8,222 foot runway. Not very long but should be fine for these Airbuses (probably A319s)

So Latrobe services Dallas and Orlando. Sounds like the Dallas route is for the Marcellus business and a feeder to other destinations. Maybe it's going to Labtrobe because of landing fees at PIT. PIT certainly has more than enough capacity. Latrobe also hopes to get a the Laurel Valley Connector to have better access to the Turnpike.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM

369 posts, read 463,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Spirit has begun flights to Dallas-Fort Worth

Spirit Airlines inaugurates flights to Dallas-Fort Worth from Arnold Palmer airport | TribLIVE

Average ticket prices of $60 one-way is pretty good. I hope return is about as cheap.

Latrobe has one 8,222 foot runway. Not very long but should be fine for these Airbuses (probably A319s)

So Latrobe services Dallas and Orlando. Sounds like the Dallas route is for the Marcellus business and a feeder to other destinations. Maybe it's going to Labtrobe because of landing fees at PIT. PIT certainly has more than enough capacity. Latrobe also hopes to get a the Laurel Valley Connector to have better access to the Turnpike.
The paper quoted $60 one way "including taxes and fees". I think that may be a typo, it's probably $60 excluding taxes and fees, as Spirit is known for unbundling. A quick check of Spirit's website seems to confirm this.

Also, Spirit not only serves Dallas and Orlando from LBE, but Myrtle Beach and Ft. Lauderdale as well. Not too shabby.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:12 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,887,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post
The paper quoted $60 one way "including taxes and fees". I think that may be a typo, it's probably $60 excluding taxes and fees, as Spirit is known for unbundling. A quick check of Spirit's website seems to confirm this.

Also, Spirit not only serves Dallas and Orlando from LBE, but Myrtle Beach and Ft. Lauderdale as well. Not too shabby.
Not necessarily; I've flown to myrtle on spirit for less then $120 round trip including fees/taxes a few times last year

Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,479,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITairport View Post

$60 is only the "base fare" excluding taxes, fees, and FUEL! When you add in those "extras", the price nearly doubles. By the time you add in baggage fees, the price is roughly equivalent to any other airline. Spirit Airlines are masters of deception. People see "$60" and they get all excited. They don't read the fine print.

If you are a businessman who travels with only the clothes on his back and a small carry-on, I suppose Spirit works. But if you are traveling for leisure or an extended stay with multiple suitcases and carry-ons, this airline is a rip-off.

I am currently looking for flights to Pittsburgh later this summer at a non-peak time. Was considering Spirit to Latrobe, but they are no cheaper than Delta or Airtran to PIT. Latrobe also means I will need to rent a car instead of taking public transit. There is also only one flight from FLL to Latrobe per day seemingly and they are not the times I want. The price of renting a car would more than offset any savings from the flight costs. I could fly Delta from FLL and have 5+ choices of flight times.

Last edited by Nolefan34; 06-19-2013 at 07:14 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 07:11 AM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
My son flew Spirit from Latrobe to Lima Peru via Ft Lauderdale (10 days, 2 checked bags)
It was cheaper than my daughter's SEA-PIT flight (no checked bags), even with the fees!

edited to add: those are round-trip travels.

Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,999,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

If you are a businessman who travels with only the clothes on his back and a small carry-on, I suppose Spirit works. But if you are traveling for leisure or an extended stay with multiple suitcases and carry-ons, this airline is a rip-off.
The airline isn't a ripoff if you can read. They tell you up front how luggage works. Therefore, only those that can't read can be ripped off. Just price it out and then you know if the deal works for you. Also, if you are leaving your car at the airport, LBE has FREE parking. That also is part of pricing. If you don't understand how to budget or money, or look at all fees when traveling, then you may feel you got ripped off. For those people that can look at the total costs of a trip, then Spirit and LBE with free parking can be as good as it gets. Even with baggage costing money, it still is probably cheaper if you are parking at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh