Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
None of that is likely to happen, and if it does it is going to take a very long time, during which you'll be paying a lot and getting little in return.

A more likely scenario is that PAT's funding is reduced to such a level that it's only able to pay legacy benefits and cannot offer any service. Of course in that situation you'd be paying the same amount in taxes and receiving absolutely nothing in return. And that can all be avoided if the state simply returned to funding PAT at acceptable levels, but that requires people to recognize that continuing on the current path is really a raw deal.
I receive NOTHING in return now. I would rather the tax go to the pensions and less service, because that is all that the current money allotted allows. If they don't do the cuts, then there is even a larger shortfall.

Why don't they triple or quadruple the rates to ride a bus? Those that use it pay for it more. I am already paying a 7% tax on a drink out. What do I get for that money? Nothing at all. I don't use PAT and could care less about them. Sure I feel for those that do use them, but maybe they need to pony up more money to use the service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Come on guys its time to get off this Carousel...Chalk Curtis up as someone who just doesn't get it, there are plenty just like him....We're not getting anywhere with this back n forth, the debate is not advancing.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:22 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Of course all that takes time...
No kidding. Things do take TIME! Everyone want some short cut in life. 30 minute abs didn't do it for people. They wanted 10 minute abs. Then 5 minute. What is next a few seconds and you have a washboard? Sure, right. There is no easy fix here, unless you want to just get some new huge tax going for Allegheny County. You know, we do need more taxes here in our county, right?

I do get a kick out of the people that have no patience for things to evolve. Sometimes it can turn out to be a good thing. Someone mentioned more people might move closer to the city and their work. That could be a great byproduct of all this, but of course that takes time. God forbid we let a year or two or five pass in the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Of course all that takes time and money, and an alternative would be for employers and other centers of economic activity to flee the core area, and perhaps the metro area entirely.
I'm just trying to put lipstick on a pig here

Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why don't they triple or quadruple the rates to ride a bus? Those that use it pay for it more. .
No one is going to ride the bus for $9 ($2.25 quadrupled.)

Quote:
I am already paying a 7% tax on a drink out.
Then maybe you need to cut back on going out and having a drink.

Quote:
I don't use PAT and could care less about them.
You should care about them when there is more traffic on the road leading to more congestion.

Quote:
Sure I feel for those that do use them
I somehow doubt that. Read your next sentence....

Quote:
but maybe they need to pony up more money to use the service.
Tell my boss to pay me more and then we'll talk. Either that or I will call you and you can be my chaueffer.

Let me ask you Curtis. How much do you spend a month on your car? (Meaning gas, inspections, insurance, maintainance, repairs, changing tires, etc.)? You are complpaining about spending an extra couple of cents on a drink, but you are OK forking all of this money over for a car that may last you only a few years, until you buy an another car that could set you back hundreds (used) or thousands (new.)

Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Come on guys its time to get off this Carousel...Chalk Curtis up as someone who just doesn't get it, there are plenty just like him....We're not getting anywhere with this back n forth, the debate is not advancing.
What is it I need to get Blackbeauty? Because I don't agree you and with massive taxation to breath air into something that is clearly a mess make me "not get it"? Just because I have an opinion that is against PAT doesn't make it wrong. What is a wrong for me and a right for someone else could clearly be justified. PAT does nothing for me personally. It doesn't help me in any way and actually is part of the reason I won't buy that bar in Morningside that has been sitting there for years to be revitalized into something really cool. I resent that drink tax and I don't want to pay a dime more for PAT. That is my right as a resident of this county that is charging that massive tax that is very upsetting to me. What is it I don't get? More and more of MY money towards something that is ALWAYS going to be in trouble and poorly managed? I think I get it quite clearly.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:35 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
What is it I need to get Blackbeauty? Because I don't agree you and with massive taxation to breath air into something that is clearly a mess make me "not get it"? Just because I have an opinion that is against PAT doesn't make it wrong. What is a wrong for me and a right for someone else could clearly be justified. PAT does nothing for me personally. It doesn't help me in any way and actually is part of the reason I won't buy that bar in Morningside that has been sitting there for years to be revitalized into something really cool. I resent that drink tax and I don't want to pay a dime more for PAT. That is my right as a resident of this county that is charging that massive tax that is very upsetting to me. What is it I don't get? More and more of MY money towards something that is ALWAYS going to be in trouble and poorly managed? I think I get it quite clearly.
Curtis you maybe able to trap Brian and other in endless debates that go nowhere..not me.....Sorry We'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
gg

No one is going to ride the bus for $9 ($2.25 quadrupled.)

What is the breaking point? Double? Triple?

Then maybe you need to cut back on going out and having a drink.

I did, but what did that do to the local economy if more and more do. Judging by how many bars (that used to be a business that thrived in good and bad times) closed down? Kind of a short sided view don't you think? You know how many people are employed by bars and restaurants in our region?

You should care about them when there is more traffic on the road leading to more congestion.

As I have stated many times, I was here during the PAT bus strike and lived in the North Side at that time and commuted to Fox Chapel at all hours of the day. I thought the traffic was better with the strike in the city streets.

Let me ask you Curtis. How much do you spend a month on your car? (Meaning gas, inspections, insurance, maintainance, repairs, changing tires, etc.)? You are complpaining about spending an extra couple of cents on a drink, but you are OK forking all of this money over for a car that may last you only a few years, until you buy an another car that could set you back hundreds (used) or thousands (new.)

The car I buy and maintain is MINE and MY expense. I don't ask for others to chip in. I don't ask an industry like the restaurant industry and help my personal expenses. Is that clear enough for you? I don't feel it is fair to tax an industry for something it has nothing to do with. It is another Allegheny County tax that once again puts us at a disadvantage with surrounding counties. Sure, maybe not you personally, but what about a bar like Carmody's close to the boarder of Butler County? I am sure they are jumping for joy. People just choose not to see the effects on businesses with this constant PAT problem.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Curtis you maybe able to trap Brian and other in endless debates that go nowhere..not me.....Sorry We'll just have to agree to disagree on this topic.
Agreed. I am tired of PAT and the new taxes we have to make up to keep trying to put those bandaids on. It was part of the reason I didn't buy a bar and restore it. You should see the cool building. It could have been amazing, but with the new assessment and the drink tax, it is just too much risk. It could have been nice though. Ah well, someone might buy it someday, but I doubt they will restore it. Thanks to PAT and our huge taxes, this county lost another investor. Of course, who cares? Means nothing really, unless there are 100's of me out there that don't feel it is worth it.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:51 AM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,037 times
Quote:
The car I buy and maintain is MINE and MY expense. I don't ask for others to chip in. I don't ask an industry like the restaurant industry and help my personal expenses. Is that clear enough for you? I don't feel it is fair to tax an industry for something it has nothing to do with. It is another Allegheny County tax that once again puts us at a disadvantage with surrounding counties. Sure, maybe not you personally, but what about a bar like Carmody's close to the boarder of Butler County? I am sure they are jumping for joy. People just choose not to see the effects on businesses with this constant PAT problem.
Statements like this are very ignorant. More people use public transportation than hanging out at a local watering hole like the one you listed. So basically, no it's not clear enough for me.

You claim you don't think it's fair to tax an industry it has nothing to do with. Then why do I have to pay school taxes when I have no children?

And I highly doubt peolpe are driving in droves to bars outside of the county just to have a drink. Most people just suck it up and deal with it.

I really have issues when people are ignorant saying they don't care or it doesn't effect them. You can argue and disagree until your face turns blue, but it does effect everyone, whether you see it or not.

And, BTW, I am very thankful that I don't have a car. Too many headaches financially and from the maintainace end of it.

Have a good day and drive safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh