Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 08:36 AM

42 posts, read 74,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Ahhhh, the perfect thread to vent about my evening drive...

I still stand by my belief that Pittsburgh drivers are extremely timid compared to most areas of the country. It was reinforced this evening as I was trying to make a left turn at a green light. This car was coming in the opposite direction with their right turn signal on, so I was just patiently waiting for her to make her right turn so I could follow. But she kept slowing down and came to a complete stop at the green light, looking at me like I was supposed to go first. Seriously? Just ******* go!!!! You clearly have the right of way, I'm the one trying to cross traffic...JUST GO!

I had no idea what was going on the first time that happened to me, and I have actually had people roll down their window to yell at me because I refused to go when they had the right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,703,575 times
Here's a scenario for those of you who have driven or lived in other medium to large metro areas nationally or internationally:

About two weeks ago, I was getting on 376 at Squirrel Hill. The on ramp was backed up all the way to Forward Ave. I figured there was an accident. And I was correct. It was an accident, in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION, OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

So to those of you whom I addressed, tell me you don't see this anywhere else.

There's an expressway (I believe known as the Taconic Parkway) that essentially goes from Manhattan to JFK. Complete with a tunnel like 376. I'm certain this would never happen there

Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Yeah I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on. I came from the same place but slightly earlier. It took me nearly an hour to get home in Shadyside. All of Oakland was backed up, too. The whole ramp to Forbes, etc. That's usually only true when there's a Pitt game.
There was also a back up coming off of the Veterans Bridge towards the Liberty Bridge. Which is another irritation......so you have two exits off the Veterans Bridge, one that goes to the Liberty Bridge and one that wraps around and puts you on the Blvd of the Allies. People who intend to get off on the Blvd on ramp will sit in file in line until they get ultra close to the on ramp instead of simply driving around the traffic on the right and keeping traffic moving. This also happens in the morning at the 7the Avenue off ramp off of the Blvd

Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmarc View Post

I had no idea what was going on the first time that happened to me, and I have actually had people roll down their window to yell at me because I refused to go when they had the right away.

This happened to me yesterday morning coming off of Beacon on to Murray.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Here's a scenario for those of you who have driven or lived in other medium to large metro areas nationally or internationally:

About two weeks ago, I was getting on 376 at Squirrel Hill. The on ramp was backed up all the way to Forward Ave. I figured there was an accident. And I was correct. It was an accident, in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION, OFF THE SIDE OF THE ROAD.

So to those of you whom I addressed, tell me you don't see this anywhere else.

There's an expressway (I believe known as the Taconic Parkway) that essentially goes from Manhattan to JFK. Complete with a tunnel like 376. I'm certain this would never happen there
It's called rubbernecking and I've seen it all over the country and once in Germany.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:16 AM

I also love to kid with Trisha Pittman from WPXI when she comments about "sun glare" holding up traffic.......I'll be 42 and have never worn sunglasses while driving. The sun can be bright, but it's never brought me to a grinding halt.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's called rubbernecking and I've seen it all over the country and once in Germany.
I know what it's called, but you've seriously seen traffic backed up in the opposite lane, on a divided highway because of this?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
I know what it's called, but you've seriously seen traffic backed up in the opposite lane, on a divided highway because of this?
Oh yes, Maryland comes to mind.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 AM

540 posts, read 868,384 times
Quote:
I have definitely seen this in Houston, and God-forbid that the accident happens near the junction of two highways, or all 4 directions will be backed up.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,645 times
Quote:
Yes, this has happened to me in Northern NJ. An accident happened on the other side of the interstate where I80 merges with I95 south. I was heading north to the George Washington Bridge. It took about 5-6 hours to get to Queens from that area just to give you an idea on how bad rubbernecking can be all over the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh