Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:23 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The place in Morningside sourced good coffee but had lousy baristas and, IMO, an antisocial owner. Small space and very 'hippy-ish' which perhaps turned off the mostly Italian residents. It's currently being marketed as a storage space (?).

The place in Blawnox (if it's the one I'm thinking of) has (or had when I was there) pedestrian coffee, but Keeley is amazing. She bought the place right out of college. Guessing she's all of 25 now? Solid entrepreneurial and customer service skills.

Joe Davis, owner of Biddle's, is an interesting character and seems to be well-liked by his neighbors. However it ends up, it's unlikely to be a standard cookie-cutter coffeehouse.
Seems as if you are the resident coffee expert. A few years ago there was a thread where people listed their favorite coffee shops.

Me, I am boring. I like the Coffee Tree if given the choice but my wife likes Starbucks which means I drink a lot of ............ Starbucks.

With two young kids, the drive thru Starbucks is a great invention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:39 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The place in Morningside sourced good coffee but had lousy baristas and, IMO, an antisocial owner. Small space and very 'hippy-ish' which perhaps turned off the mostly Italian residents. It's currently being marketed as a storage space (?).
i don't think morning glory closed due to lack of business; the owner moved out of the city for personal reasons.

i do have concerns about the lack of foot and car traffic around the location of biddle's escape. but it would be really cool if it became an anchor for that little business district. and there are definitely a lot of potential clientele living right in that area. i don't think anyone who actually went to that area (rather than just hearing "wilkinsburg" and turning tail) would be scared to be there. and i haven't really paid attention but i bet they're marketing themselves as being in regent square.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:07 PM

4,684 posts, read 4,575,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i bet they're marketing themselves as being in regent square.
At least according to the Rgt Sq Civic Assoc, Biddle & Trenton is in Rgt Sq; the very eastern edge, but Rgt Sq all the same.

Apparently, the chief barrista (um, barrista-jefe?) has a middle-European connection, so the coffee menu includes all these interesting authentic Hungarian and Viennese concoctions. I'm looking forward to giving it a try this weekend.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't think morning glory closed due to lack of business; the owner moved out of the city for personal reasons.
The two are not mutually exclusive. I was only there a few times, but I'd never seen more than one other person in the shop.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarian View Post
At least according to the Rgt Sq Civic Assoc, Biddle & Trenton is in Rgt Sq; the very eastern edge, but Rgt Sq all the same.
oh yeah, you're right! weird that the neighborhood boundaries are apparently partway through a block in a bunch of places.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
It actually makes sense to include the houses lining the east side of Trenton, because they are west of the creek/valley that topographically defined the eastern edge of Regent Square.

In general those topography-based boundaries help explain why boundaries along streets don't always work in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,666,746 times
Ah, so this is the other project. Interesting. If nothing else the coffee should be very good if they stick with it. https://twitter.com/#!/RichWesterfie...98435057401857

See also On Getting Back Behind Bar - Accidental Roaster There's a little reference to it in there, not by name at that point.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Suddenly I really want a Starbuck's Venti Mocha Frappuccino.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:28 PM

i finally went and checked this place out - it is really, really nice. very inviting place, friendly owners and staff, great coffee. i will definitely be spending a lot of time there in the future.

it was hopping, too, especially for a monday night. nmrwa was holding some kind of class/meeting there.

Last edited by groar; 05-14-2012 at 09:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2012, 08:31 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Suddenly I really want a Starbuck's Venti Mocha Frappuccino.

Trying to use a week's worth of calories in a morning?

With my less than stellar eating habits, my inability to consistently exercise, oh and the fact that I hit 40, I gotta stick to regular cofee.

I switched to diet coke this year and have dropped 8 pounds so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh