Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 04:38 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times

Advertisements

Wendell Young apparently has the PA legislature in his back pocket. And so our Commonwealth will remain in the Stone Age as it comes to liquor laws.

http://earlyreturns.sites.post-gazet...-privatization

This is the one area where I really do envy Philadelphia. At least they can go to Delaware and NJ and sidestep this state-sponsored BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
There is always OH and WV which aren't too far away (I usually go to the Kroger in Wierton once a month and it takes about a half an hour from the mall at Robinson, Steubenville isn't much further)

Old 06-05-2012, 06:00 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Wendell Young apparently has the PA legislature in his back pocket. And so our Commonwealth will remain in the Stone Age as it comes to liquor laws.

» Canadian pharmacy. 24h online support | We care about your health!

This is the one area where I really do envy Philadelphia. At least they can go to Delaware and NJ and sidestep this state-sponsored BS.
Hey, you need to that genuine union labor to work a cash register.

Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Hey, you need to that genuine union labor to work a cash register.
Exactly, not just anyone can give you attitude the way they do

Old 06-05-2012, 07:29 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Well, you know that the people running the effin PLCB want to preserve their own places too, so why wouldn't they give that to the union to help ensure their mutual place?

Far as I can tell, WV and OH aren't as appealing as NJ and DE for across the border runs, perhaps mainly because the border places here are more in the middle of nowhere as opposed to the others which are still effectively just outside Philly.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
I hate unions. I really do. I wish they were against the law. Those of us who actually work for a living get to watch as these clowns demand ridiculous pensions and wages for doing something that your average teenager could do, while we pay higher prices than anywhere else in the US to subsidize this crap.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 PM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
I hate unions. I really do. I wish they were against the law. Those of us who actually work for a living get to watch as these clowns demand ridiculous pensions and wages for doing something that your average teenager could do, while we pay higher prices than anywhere else in the US to subsidize this crap.

Correction: I guess I meant to say "something your average 21-year old could do"

Old 06-06-2012, 06:26 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I'll be shocked if I see a major positive change in the way alcohol is sold in this state within my life time.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
Wow, that is a real pro-freedom statement. I do agree that unions are ridiculous for unskilled employees though. Unions have existed for centuries, but they applied only to skilled labor. I do like the fact that there are electrical unions and plumber unions, as it serves as a way to separate the real tradesman from scam artists. You can't go to college and get a degree in plumbing. You gain your experience on the job, starting off as an apprentice and working your way up. If you hire a Master union plumber then you know their credentials. But again, bagging groceries and stocking shelves doesn't really fall in to the "skilled trade" category.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:58 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
I think the major distinction here is public union (gov't employees) vs. private union. In a negotiation involving a private union, you have two real sides, the side looking to increase pay and benefits negotiating with the side looking to reduce labor costs. In the public union case, you essentially have one side (politicians) that have major incentive in many cases to side with the union, so you don't have anyone representing the taxpayers at the table. This is not a negotiation, at this point.

Politics aside, though, I'm really sad about this ordeal. Was it a backroom deal between the leadership at the PLCB and the union, without any political involvement at all? I can see some real serious conflicts of interest in that case. Seems like the people would be able to put something like this to referendum if we so choose, if a majority of people think that this deal was signed against the will and interests of the residents and taxpayers of PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh