Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 07:15 AM

654 posts, read 948,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
That's what I would say too. There's very little risk in a small mortgage for 10 years say (and pay faster if you want). I wouldn't put it all down even. Interest rate is under 3%. Get some while you can!
I don't like the idea of having debt--honestly, it scares me. I have no credit card debt. When I had a car, I had no loan. Actually, I paid cash for every car I ever owned--all four. So I don't want to incur debt at this point in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,589,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
I don't like the idea of having debt--honestly, it scares me. I have no credit card debt. When I had a car, I had no loan. Actually, I paid cash for every car I ever owned--all four. So I don't want to incur debt at this point in my life.
3-3.5% interest rate is like free money. Do a 15 year and you'll get under 3%.

These days 100k does get you much if you want livable, character, brick, walkable, safe, etc.

borrowing 100k over 30 years costs $449 / mo. That's half of rent.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
3-3.5% interest rate is like free money. Do a 15 year and you'll get under 3%.

These days 100k does get you much if you want livable, character, brick, walkable, safe, etc.

borrowing 100k over 30 years costs $449 / mo. That's half of rent.
I would rather borrow nothing, pay no mortgage, and invest the remaining $449 a month in my mutual funds. I'm not going to give up so easily; I'm not going to get discouraged. As the posted Hope said, something in my price range will come along.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:32 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,371,578 times
Quote:
I know the economy is decent is Pittsburgh, but it isn't that great. So why is the real estate market so hot? Yes, Pittsburgh is cool, but it's not Manhattan. (I mean no offense to anyone with the comparison, so please don't take any.)
Our economy is that great. I started a thread yesterday posing an article that says Pittsburgh is one of three cities that have fully recovered from the recession. Guess what? NYC isn't one of those cities. Pittsburgh, Knoxville and Dallas.

The recession didn't hit hard here like elsewhere. And our real estate market never tanked like the rest of the country. It has always been a stable market because it doesn't have booms and busts. I wouldn't say the market is hot. I'd say that people are snatching up deals. It's cheaper to own than to rent here. It has always been that way.

Of course it's not Manhattan---the prices aren't high here so it doesn't even make sense to say that. I mean, come on, you couldn't buy a closet in Manhattan for 60k.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,741,081 times
Quote:
I know the economy is decent is Pittsburgh, but it isn't that great. So why is the real estate market so hot? Yes, Pittsburgh is cool, but it's not Manhattan. (I mean no offense to anyone with the comparison, so please don't take any.)
LOL You're looking at $60k houses and saying "Why is the real estate market so hot?" Seriously?

It's not like you're looking in the bad neighborhoods. So wondering why you can't get your ideal house at $60k is a little odd. The way you get a better house that cheap is to take a chance on a marginal neighborhood. The way you get closer to your ideal is to take a little mortgage.

The houses in the price range you are thinking of do not even constitute what is typically considered in a hot market. They don't even really register. One thing we do have here though is a tight rental market. So houses in this range could be bought for cash and rented out I suppose.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
32 Hickory in Etna and 2136 Rockledge in Spring Hill are both already under contract. The real estate market around here is sizzlin'!
Why is it sizzlin'? That's not good for us potential buyers. It's very good if you're an owner, but if you're a buyer on a budget like me, that's horrible news!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Why is it sizzlin'? That's not good for us potential buyers. It's very good if you're an owner, but if you're a buyer on a budget like me, that's horrible news!
SCR is in the market for something under 50k, or less than that if I recall correctly. So he's overly passionate about the demand in the area. You guys would make good friends after you move here.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:44 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,589,501 times
I beg to differ. Everything from 75k to 700k in the East End is flying off of the market. There are multiple offers on almost everything that comes up for sale that is priced right.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selltheburgh View Post
I beg to differ. Everything from 75k to 700k in the East End is flying off of the market. There are multiple offers on almost everything that comes up for sale that is priced right.
That's the East End. We're looking at less desirable neighborhoods outside of the East End and they're saying it's sizzling.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,661,719 times
Quote:
The economy here is strong, especially when compared to some of the hard-hit areas of the country. I'd call the real estate market here strong as opposed to hot. I lived through sizzling hot markets in the SF Bay Area and this doesn't compare.

Hot: Hundreds of people viewing the house during one day. Multiple all cash offers, $100k over asking. 2 bdr, 1 ba homes that need work in iffy neighborhoods selling for over $700k. That's a "hot" market. There are neighborhoods in Pittsburgh where homes get multiple offers, but it's nothing like you see in SF or NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh