Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 10:25 AM

654 posts, read 945,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
And in good condition, too, based on a couple of the early posts.

OP, one other neighborhood that might make some sense for you is Observatory Hill. It's a compromise in terms of walkability, possibly in terms of crime, and possibly in terms of appreciation, although I personally think some of the housing stock in the neighborhood, especially right by the park, is so lovely that there will always be some demand. There've been a few threads about OH in the forum.

What it does have is the type of architecture you're looking for (the old Victorians are mostly in the 140K and up range, but the neighborhood is the right age and there's lots of brick construction) and a few options in your price range, for example 30 Bonvue St. and 271 Kennedy Ave.
Just livable condition, not perfect condition--that's all that I need. I can do cosmetic work myself. I cannot, however, do complicated plumbing and carpentry work--that takes someone with skills far beyond my own. I'll check out Observatory Hill; thanks for the suggestion. I don't need shopping to be literally right next door, since I like to walk anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,535,271 times

There has to be something wrong with the Lawrenceville house. Trulia says that it has been on the market for 342 days.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:32 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
There has to be something wrong with the Lawrenceville house. Trulia says that it has been on the market for 342 days.
Hrrm...maybe someone forgot to take it down.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:38 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Spring HIll and Observatory Hill? That's a huge sacrifice in walkability and resale potential. Possibly crime issues as well.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:55 AM

If the listing agent shows no pictures of the interior, that's usually a bad sign--but not always. It could just be an incompetent agent. I'll have to look into this one.

I have to admit, the house on Fair Acres is very nice for a wood-frame. It looks rather like a modest "Painted Lady."

The Lawrenceville row is nice, but it's been on the market for nearly a year, which leads me to think that there has to be something seriously wrong with it. Why do you suppose it hasn't yet sold?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
If the listing agent shows no pictures of the interior, that's usually a bad sign--but not always. It could just be an incompetent agent. I'll have to look into this one.

I have to admit, the house on Fair Acres is very nice for a wood-frame. It looks rather like a modest "Painted Lady."

The Lawrenceville row is nice, but it's been on the market for nearly a year, which leads me to think that there has to be something seriously wrong with it. Why do you suppose it hasn't yet sold?
You won't know unless you go look at them. Most foreclosures don't have interior pictures. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with it inside.

btw, you should be looking at houses priced higher than 60k because asking prices can be negotiated.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:54 PM

461 posts, read 749,171 times
HipPriest, I live at 1200 Superior Ave, and would be happy to tell you the block and area in general; it is racially mixed, and working to middle class. Parts of the neighborhood a few blocks away are very poor (white and black, and I only say that because of a different thread) and has a fair amount of drug related crime. If you stay away from that type of activity, most likely you will be perfectly safe. I used to get home from work after midnight, and never had any scares or close calls. We've taken precautions and I'm pretty street savvy, but I don't feel scared here - and I say this as a white woman who is less than 130 lbs.

The neighborhood has a very active community group: Brightwood Civic Group. And New Hope Church (Welcome to New Hope) is very invested in the neighborhood as well; in fact, the head of the church lives on my block.

The area is well served by the 15, 16, and 17 buses. Kuhn's Grocery store is right in the neighborhood, and while not the greatest, it isn't horrible, either. You can walk to the gorgeous cemetaries, or to Riverview Park. It is very easy to get to bike trail into the city, and there is a kayak launch close by as well.

I encourage you to keep an open mind about Marshall Shadeland, and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have - the good and the bad.

e

Quote:
Thanks for the info, eschaton. Do you mean to say a person cannot get anything except an ugly frame house in my price range in a walkable area like Troy Hill, East Deutschtown or Upper Lawrenceville? Brick residences cannot be purchased for less than $60,000?

What about Bluff? I know much of the area has been demolished, but the architecture is stunning!

I'm considering Brighton Heights. How's the public transport there, though?

I've been told to stay clear of Marshall Shadeland, but I really don't know enough about the area to make a judgement call. I've seen the ad for the house you linked to on Superior Ave., and it would do. I just don't know about the area, though. I mean, I don't want to be a crime statistic.

What is Allentown like? I don't know anything about that neighborhood.

Trust me, I'd prefer to stay clear of any area that's in free-fall. Therefore, places like Sheraden are out of the question.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
HipPriest, I live at 1200 Superior Ave, and would be happy to tell you the block and area in general; it is racially mixed, and working to middle class. Parts of the neighborhood a few blocks away are very poor (white and black, and I only say that because of a different thread) and has a fair amount of drug related crime. If you stay away from that type of activity, most likely you will be perfectly safe. I used to get home from work after midnight, and never had any scares or close calls. We've taken precautions and I'm pretty street savvy, but I don't feel scared here - and I say this as a white woman who is less than 130 lbs.

The neighborhood has a very active community group: Brightwood Civic Group. And New Hope Church (Welcome to New Hope) is very invested in the neighborhood as well; in fact, the head of the church lives on my block.

The area is well served by the 15, 16, and 17 buses. Kuhn's Grocery store is right in the neighborhood, and while not the greatest, it isn't horrible, either. You can walk to the gorgeous cemetaries, or to Riverview Park. It is very easy to get to bike trail into the city, and there is a kayak launch close by as well.

I encourage you to keep an open mind about Marshall Shadeland, and I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have - the good and the bad.

e
Thank you for the info! If I find any homes I'm interested in there, I know who to ask now.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You won't know unless you go look at them. Most foreclosures don't have interior pictures. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with it inside.

btw, you should be looking at houses priced higher than 60k because asking prices can be negotiated.
How far (as a percentage) can one usually bargain down these asking prices, assuming one has a good buyer's agent? Do sellers in Pittsburgh usually get near what they're asking for?

Old 04-11-2013, 08:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,841 times
Quote:
How far (as a percentage) can one usually bargain down these asking prices, assuming one has a good buyer's agent? Do sellers in Pittsburgh usually get near what they're asking for?
It's all based on comps. Your agent will get info on comparable sales in the area so you have some idea if the house is priced correctly. If it's overpriced you can negotiate the price down and hope that the seller is ready to deal with the fact that their home is overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh