Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 12:02 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,987,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
What about Garfield. Realistically, you are so close to Shadyside, East Liberty and the busway it is very walkable. The place is a definitely seen better days but it has to be on the way up.
Garfield is an interesting suggestion. It definitely has crime issues now, but it is improving and the home would likely appreciate in value. I'm not sure he could find a Victorian, but he could find a brick house from the early 20th century. Finding a home in good condition will be tough though. A lot of the ones on the market are from slum lords cashing out. On the brightside, it's close to Home Depot at least. Garfield may actually be beyond his budget already. There are definitely homes under $60K, but they'll just need so much work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 12:05 PM

606 posts, read 944,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
Those properties you linked to are incredibly elegant Victorians originally build for the well-to-do. I'm merely looking for a modest brick home from that time period--nothing like that. I could never afford to heat anything that large!
Point taken, but even much smaller and more modest old brick houses in safe walkable neighborhoods tend to cost a lot more. And the schmancy houses do affect what people will pay for nearby older houses, even ones that are more modest.

These are all around 1600 sf or less:

1321 Sandusky St.

27 S. 18th St.
5714 Howe St. #1 -- I'm sure a lot of that price is the kitchen, granted.
140 S. 23rd St.
1404 James St.
177 36th St.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:21 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
Here's one in Munhall that just lowered their price. great interior: 112 Vine, Munhall, Pennsylvania 15120 (MLS# 948381) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Beechview: 2359 Vodeli St., Beechview, Pennsylvania 15216 (MLS# 956640) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

Swissvale: 1713 Commercial (Aka1711), Swissvale (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania 15218 (MLS# 956673) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

All are right around your price range. You'll have to check the safety & walkability of these addresses with other members. I'm too new to the area to know.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
Swissvale: 1713 Commercial (Aka1711), Swissvale (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania 15218 (MLS# 956673) - Coldwell Banker Real Estate Services - PittsburghMoves.com

All are right around your price range. You'll have to check the safety & walkability of these addresses with other members. I'm too new to the area to know.
I'm most familiar with this property and will defer to others more knowledgeable about Munhall and Beechview for the others. This is located just over the border of the city's Swisshelm Park neighborhood in the Borough of Swissvale. The good? You're slightly closer to walk to the anemic business district of Swissvale. The bad? You're in the Woodland Hills School District (bad) whereas Swisshelm Park is in the Taylor Allderdice feeder pattern for Pittsburgh Public Schools (good). Being childless you may not care all that much, Hip Priest, but that could affect resale value down the road for you. I wouldn't really consider this property to be all that "walkable" at all, though. It's quite a walk to either Edgewood Town Center or the business districts of Squirrel Hill or Regent Square (albeit you may be able to walk to the latter more easily by taking a trail through nearby Frick Park). It looks like this house requires a great deal more of work other than just a few cosmetics. Safety? Swisshelm Park is the safest neighborhood in the city, and I think the part bordering it in Swissvale is just as safe.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
What about Garfield. Realistically, you are so close to Shadyside, East Liberty and the busway it is very walkable. The place is a definitely seen better days but it has to be on the way up.
Garfield could work, but houses in the lower portion (which is both safer, as well as where all the brick houses are) very rarely go on the market.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
The title of this is hilarious but maybe he meant habitable.

It's in the Mexican War Streets. I have no idea if it's brick or whatever.

Fully Inhabitable Home Rented Out For $450.00 Per Month

He wants 27k---cash.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,264,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

He wants 27k---cash.

You misread the listing, its "near" the Mexican War Streets, actually its on Kennedy Avenue off of Marshall- I'd call it Perry Hilltop.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,676,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

He wants 27k---cash.
It looks like it's in Perry Hilltop. The title says "near War Streets" but the dot on the map is off of Marshall and Perrysville Ave.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,973,231 times
Yeah, wow that's a seriously deceptive ad. It's about 1.5 miles from the War Streets, might as well say that my house on Beech is "near Downtown".

Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM

654 posts, read 945,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, other than the 848 Blossom Way home I linked to upthread you'll have few options here for a livable brick home under $60,000. Pittsburgh is cheap, but we're not THAT cheap anymore. I truly loved this home, too, but it has already gone under contract:

324 Knox Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15210 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®
The home you cited on Knox Ave is nice, too. How did you find out it's under contract? Did you call the listing agent? Actually, I looked at that ad many times on pittsburghmoves--indeed, it is a very handsome home and it interested me, too. I'm curious to see what it sells for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh