Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
So far as the comparison to Shadyside goes, I challenge anyone to find a luxury Shadyside apartment that doesn't have parking. I took a quick look online and I can't do it. Valet, in some cases. Two spaces, in most cases. So Hopes is right, having no parking is like having Formica countertops at this price point.
I'm all for the environment but we have to be realistic about the kind of development that will succeed. i agree that the target market expects parking. The trick is for the region to develop a decent transit infrastructure that will make it easy for people to leave their cars in the garage and walk, bike, or use public transit more often. Pittsburgh could be a leader in the rust belt as an innovator in this respect given that the economy here is better than Detroit and other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
this isnt shadyside by a long shot nor are there any hills between it and downtown or pennmac. transit is lacking but its mlre about density. transit lacks partly because there arent enough people or destinations thoigh thats changing. the car worship destroyed a lot of neighborhoods that now have excessively large highways slashing through them. downtown parking is subsidized and streets have too many traffic lanes. for all the bluster the parking obsession from the 50's on hasnt done well for the city.
hopes isnt going to live there, i dont like lofts , etc. it was a minor quibble that touched off a nerve for some who dont want the car lifestyle threatened. id be just as happy to see them carve out a space for a retail tenant or two which cam be done after the fact as well.

Last edited by pman; 05-04-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
Quit trying to make this all about me. My nerves weren't "touched off." I'd love to live in a Strip or downtown loft if both areas weren't ghost towns. You're not going to attract density via building units that don't have parking. You'll get the opposite. It would have been nice if there was retail and parking. It doesn't have to be all or nothing on either point.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Quit trying to make this all about me. My nerves weren't "touched off." I'd love to live in a Strip or downtown loft if both areas weren't ghost towns. You're not going to attract density via building units that don't have parking. You'll get the opposite. It would have been nice if there was retail and parking. It doesn't have to be all or nothing on either point.
it was never all or nothing. when i suggested retail it would be in place of SOME of the parking since theres only so much space but there would be parking nonetheless but it seems the mere suggestion of less parking invites an onslaught. this project would add significant density if it happens and i hope it does...i dont see why it wouldnt. things are leasing up like crazy. the thing about cities is as people move into them they get more desirable.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:35 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Downtown condominiums have ample parking. Gateway Towers, for example, has a large underground parking garage.
Gateway Towers was one of the first large condos built downtown, so I don't think it's a major indication of anything. AFAIK, the smaller condo/apartment buildings in the Cultural District don't have integral parking.

It also might be overkill, because Gateway Towers has a lot of retirees who don't drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
And they aren't, so I guess the market can't handle them.
In this case, that's true. But in Lawrenceville, a local developer has been attempting to convert an empty church into apartments. Locals were concerned about parking, and forced him to shave two additional stories off the planned expansion, and make room for more parking spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
I agree that Pittsburgh simply does not have the mass transit in place to allow for developments without ample parking. We are still a city that is reliant on cars and I think it only makes sense that the developers of the Wholey building would provide the parking that their tenants want.
As long as it's done like this (floors inside a building) or through underground garages, I'm fine with it. The only bad effect is it might increase traffic downtown, but I'd guess a fair number of tenants, even if they have cars, will seldom use them, so probably not as much as one would think.

But I do agree with Pman that we need less lots clogging up "Greater Downtown" in general. It's a waste of space so close to the core. We admittedly have less surface parking than many cities downtown, but things like the "Goodyear block" should be redeveloped to have class A office space or condos.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM

parking
Retail Rebirth Coming Under Horrible Parking Garage? | NakedPhilly
the full story
http://philaphilia.blogspot.com/2012...-14th.html?m=1

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM

it seems obvious to me, at least, this projects biggest selling point is proximity to tasty grilled meats

At Gaucho Parrilla, it's all about the grill | TribLIVE

Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it seems obvious to me, at least, this projects biggest selling point is proximity to tasty grilled meats

At Gaucho Parrilla, it's all about the grill | TribLIVE
OMG, the pictures of the food look delicious! I will have to try that place. You should post that on the foodies thread. should the foodies thread be a sticky?

Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
OMG, the pictures of the food look delicious! I will have to try that place. You should post that on the foodies thread. should the foodies thread be a sticky?
I had it the other day, it's very tasty though a bit pricey for what you get.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I had it the other day, it's very tasty though a bit pricey for what you get.
How pricey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh