Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times

Advertisements

Looking over the real estate listings online, there are more than 500 homes priced under 100 large.

Only a few are listed in truly distressed areas like Hazelwood or Homewood Brushton, most are in regular working stiff areas which are perfectly safe like Westwood or Lincoln Place. The number goes up higher if you include neighboring, close suburban communities.

Of course, if you turn your nose up at mid-20th century architecture, areas with strip malls and Eat n Park instead of boutiques and fancy eateries attracting the young professional crowd, your pickings will be a lot slimmer.

There really isn't a housing crisis, just a shortage of properties in hot locations popularly priced and affordable for less affluent folks in the community.

If you're cool with a short drive into the city, you can drive from even the "far" areas of the city like Summer Hill or Oakwood to town in 10 minutes if you want to go a restaurant or club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 08:04 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Everybody bought ten years ago or more, right?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,493 times
I_Like_Spam, you got it right. I paid a little over $150K in Crafton for a 2700sf home with awesome original stained glass windows and incredible woodwork. It needed some work, but was not a dump. All my neighbors are professionals. The schools are good. And I'm just a few miles from the Pittsburgh city limit and an easy drive to the airport. The fact that a similar home in Squirrel Hill or Shadyside would cost at least double does not mean there's a housing crisis. Most cities have popular neighborhoods that are more expensive and/or rapidly appreciating than other parts of town. It's the market in action. There are two homes for sale on my block that are overpriced and need a lot of work. They have been sitting on the market for months. Well priced homes sell quickly here. Again, a good sign of a stable market.

I still post on many SF Bay Area sites and tonight I saw a posting by a realtor who just sold a small house on Alemany Blvd in SF for $780,000. Alemany is a major thoroughfare with lots of cars speeding by. The area is in the un-trendy southwestern side of town. Not too long ago it had lots of drug activity and gang violence which has lessened somewhat thanks to the housing boom. In other words, it's a nothing special little house on a nothing special street in an iffy neighborhood and it sold for a little south of a million bucks. When homes in the worst neighborhoods here in Pittsburgh start selling for well over $100K then I might concede that there's a teeny-tiny problem. But even then it would be more of an indication that the neighborhood had stabilized. It isn't a crisis until most middle income people can't even afford the least expensive house in the worst neighborhood. I'm not saying that Pittsburgh shouldn't guard against it happening, but really, there are many areas around here that are still declining in value. A turnaround on the scale needed to create a crisis is unlikely at best. None of my friends or family could afford to buy or rent their homes in the Bay Area if they had to pay today's prices. I would be willing to bet this is rarely the case with most middle class working people here in Pittsburgh in all but the trendiest areas that have seen more rapid appreciation.

Sorry to rant and rave, but I had to leave the city where I was born, a city that I loved with all my heart because I no longer had a mortgage from 1987 and simply could not afford today's prices - especially if I plan to retire when I'm 65.

Pittsburgh is no longer a washed up steel town with a population exodus and the downward spiral in home prices that go along with it. It's a mid-sized city that's doing ok with decent or better appreciation in housing prices in many parts of town. The result is you have to go to sketchier neighborhoods to get dirt cheap prices. And wasn't that always the case? I mean Lawrenceville was dirt cheap when most people wouldn't have felt safe there.

Enough said, good night.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:08 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Some of my favorite cheapies in Pittsburgh at the moment.

One of those rare Uptown houses is on the market. Actually in good shape too.

Perfectly nice house in Troy Hill with original wood floors.

This Spring Hill house has incredible potential. And a lot of property.

I can't say this Spring Garden house is incredible overall, but the stairwell alone just about cancels the rest out.

Edit: And in the $100-$150 range there's this, this, this, this, and this.

If you buy for house, not for neighborhood, you still have plenty of options available no matter what style you like.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:20 PM

I lied about saying Good Night earlier.

Here's one in Crafton Heights. I'm afraid I don't know the area well enough to know if it's in the "bad" part. I don't think it is.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some of my favorite cheapies in Pittsburgh at the moment.

One of those rare Uptown houses is on the market. Actually in good shape too.

Perfectly nice house in Troy Hill with original wood floors.

This Spring Hill house has incredible potential. And a lot of property.

I can't say this Spring Garden house is incredible overall, but the stairwell alone just about cancels the rest out.

Edit: And in the $100-$150 range there's this, this, this, this, and this.

If you buy for house, not for neighborhood, you still have plenty of options available no matter what style you like.
Wow! Houses like those are why I moved here.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:30 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Wow! Houses like those are why I moved here.
I know I've said it before, but minus the big front lawn, this is basically my dream house. I could afford it easily as well. It's a shame my wife is dead-set against Brighton Heights.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
I know I've said it before, but minus the big front lawn, this is basically my dream house. I could afford it easily as well. It's a shame my wife is dead-set against Brighton Heights.
Isn't Mme. Eschaton an architect? Couldn't you bring her over for a stealth visit--tell her you're watering plants for someone at work, and ask her to come with? How could someone -- especially someone who purports to love houses -- not love this one?

There's only one thing I don't like about it. Can anyone guess what it is?

Old 03-14-2014, 09:42 PM

I bought my house in Dec 2012. There's a similar house for sale near me. it needs a lot of work and it's priced at $189,000. It has been sitting on the market for months. I think it needs to drop by at least $30k for there to be any activity.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
If memory serves that house was on the market when I was looking at the end of 2012. I tried to see it, but the owner had the flu and wouldn't show it. I love that house too! What does your wife have against Brighton Heights? It was one of the many affordable neighborhoods where I looked at homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh