Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Mowing a lawn, at least of a reasonable size is totally meditative. It's great to just stroll around, listening to spotify, and actually get something accomplished.

Gardens are nice. So are cookouts and throwing the baseball around and just coming home from work and deciding to flop down on the grass and stare at the clouds for an hour.

I mean, what's the point of having one's own domicile at all? There are plenty of hotels with warm beds and clean commodes out there?
Meditative for you... an annoying and pointless chore for people like Gene and I who would rather be doing something else with our time. I can listen to music while taking a vigorous walk through Allegheny Commons adjacent to my home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2014, 10:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am curious, are there any older, established (but safe) neighborhoods with larger lots (half-acre or bigger)? Or would you HAVE to go with new construction for that?
Some Pittsburgh suburbs have large lots.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Insane hills are just a fact of life in Beechview. Fallowfield isn't even one of the more severe ones; my fiance and I looked at a place on Rutherford that was on such a steep slope, we almost felt like we were going to start tumbling head over ass walking down to it.

If one can stomach the topography, Beechview does have some gems for a great price, especially considering it's a fairly solid neighborhood with an easy T commute both to Town and much of the South Hills.
I have been tempted many times by places for sale in Beechview. I have to recover from buying and remodeling my current house before I invest in another. For now I'll just daydream.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Interesting. My last house's lot was 100x100 (about .23 acre), which is pretty standard, although a lot of lots were half that (50x100 -- the 50' side was the road frontage). THE biggest reason I moved to my current house was that I didn't want to hear my neighbors (I LIKE them, just don't want to be forced to listen to their music!).

I really like the housing styles in this thread, just would want a MUCH larger lot. (I too find mowing my lawn pretty relaxing and even fun ... I have a riding mower due to the size of my current lot.)
You have to get outside of the city limits to find substantially larger lots. But not all that far. The close-in burbs have decent size lots, although lot sizes vary from town to town. Essentially, the farther away from the city, the bigger the lot size. That said, you can have a home with a large lot and still be within commute distance to Pittsburgh.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I live in New Hampshire but subscribed to this thread because I found it so interesting! Can't believe those house prices. Wow.
Be careful! You might end up moving here. I did.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 AM

252 posts, read 348,301 times
Quote:
I am curious, are there any older, established (but safe) neighborhoods with larger lots (half-acre or bigger)? Or would you HAVE to go with new construction for that?
In the city, I don't think so. Suburbs like Fox Chapel ($$$$) have larger lots and some older homes as well as some newer construction. If you look long and hard, you can find affordable properties in or close to the city with more outside space for various reasons: They're next to a vacant lot (which, if owned by the city, can be purchased by a neighboring homeowner); they're next to a wooded area such as a park, hillside, or just undeveloped land; or they were originally built as mansions for factory bosses (there's been some discussion recently about the wreckovation of 540 Doyle, West Homestead, PA).

What are you planning to do with a large property? If it's mostly playing frisbee and looking at the clouds, there are a lot of affordable homes bordering Riverview Park (Brighton Heights, Perry North), Schenley Park (Greenfield), and Frick Park (Swisshelm Park) that could be of interest, not to mention the many smaller parks scattered throughout the city.

Old 03-16-2014, 10:56 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,973,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
My house is brick with only a few windows on the sides, with most of the windows on the front and back, so I rarely hear anything from my neighbors, unless my windows are open and they are on their porches or decks listening to some music in the summer....

After a while you get used to it, at least I have, and I rarely hear anything...
My house is more than close to the next door neighbor's house, it's attached all along the right side. But four layers of brick makes a pretty good sound barrier; I've never heard a sound except when they were doing renovation next door.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:14 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,898,206 times
Quote:
Many, probably most, lots in the city of Pittsburgh are much smaller than you would imagine in even the nicest neighborhoods, e.g., Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, and Highland Park in Pgh's East End.

Castleman Street is one of my favorite streets in Shadyside (Pittsburgh 15232). Look how close the houses are to each other: https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCgQxB0wAA

Same with Aylesboro Avenue in Squirrel Hill (Pittsburgh 15217): https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCgQxB0wAA

Here's Elgin Street in Highland Park (Pittsburgh 15206) https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCgQxB0wAA

Houses in the Murdoch Farms area of Squirrel Hill may (or may not) have somewhat larger front lawns, but side-to-side, the houses are still quite close to each other. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-...ed=0CCgQxB0wAA

Last edited by jay5835; 03-16-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 03-16-2014, 11:25 AM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
We have a very nice brick patio with a grill and a two foot-wide strip of mulch that we call a garden. If I want to throw a ball, there's a huge park a block away with all the grass that you could want to sit on. I bought a house not a farm; if I wanted to raise crops I'd move to Sarver.
That's a front porch masquerading as a back yard. Bricks don't soak up sunlight and rainwater.

Also, "mow the lawn" sounds funny in a Pittsburgh... really, any PA accent. Sweep the bricks just doesn't have the same je ne sais quoi.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Meditative for you... an annoying and pointless chore for people like Gene and I who would rather be doing something else with our time. I can listen to music while taking a vigorous walk through Allegheny Commons adjacent to my home.
Whaddya yunz, too fancy fer manual labor, n'at?

And my goodness, what could possibly be meditative about walking through THAT soul-crushing abomination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh