Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Many people regard the NFL as incompetent these days, and many coaches lament the poor tackling skills of today's players at all levels of the game, so you know what you can go and do?
The NFL is certainly incompetent. Discipline of players and poor officiating being some of the worst of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:36 PM

316 posts, read 437,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Many people regard the NFL as incompetent these days, and many coaches lament the poor tackling skills of today's players at all levels of the game, so you know what you can go and do?
Lemmie guess.....I can go **** myself, right?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:42 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Neverett is remarkably dull, not to mention his depth perception is terrible and he thinks every fly ball is going to leave the park which makes listening to him call things on the radio side an excruciating experience. Give me Brown's unadulterated enthusiasm any day. Neverett is basically just a hired gun (which, to be fair, Brown was once upon a time, too, but he so clearly lives and dies with the team, like the fans do, and I appreciate that as a listener).
Agreed. Neverette is just awful on the radio. Very little enthusiasm, his banter is witless, and he's lousy about mentioning the vital stats. It's easy to lose track of a game when he's calling.*

I love Brownie. I can understand how his over-the-top enthusiasm and home town bias rubs some folks the wrong way, but the man keeps the listener engaged and is a total pro when it comes to setting the scene on the radio. He's not quite Lanny, but he's a worthy successor.

*(Neverette did have a classic call on the Martin 3-run dinger against the Brewers, which gives me some hope that he's learning some dramatic flair and developing a genuine love of the Buccos. But it's probably just a case of a blind pig finding an acorn in the mud.)

Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
I love Brownie. I can understand how his over-the-top enthusiasm and home town bias rubs some folks the wrong way, but the man keeps the listener engaged and is a total pro when it comes to setting the scene on the radio. He's not quite Lanny, but he's a worthy successor.

.)
I hope he's NEVER like Lanny, talk about watching paint dry.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I hope he's NEVER like Lanny, talk about watching paint dry.
Lanny was great: classic baseball voice, gave the color guy room to talk, never forgot to give the count and constantly reiterated the outs, inning, and score.

Sorry he didn't take kindly to your wife hitting on him.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:06 PM

53 posts, read 62,193 times
The old time die hard season ticket holders are diminishing in numbers being replaced by younger less committed fans. Many in my section are not even native Pittsburgher's and have many active interest's
such as biking, soccer, travel and just add the Steelers as something to do and add to the mix of activities. I also think as others have said many younger folk are Penguin followers firstly with allegiance to the team on ice. Those days of total loyalty and priority are disappearing quickly. On a league basis watch the continuing in migration to this country of people with soccer background and the NFL meeting an even larger challenge, not to mention the concussion and health risk's causing some to have anti football fever.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:51 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster00 View Post
The old time die hard season ticket holders are diminishing in numbers being replaced by younger less committed fans. Many in my section are not even native Pittsburgher's and have many active interest's
such as biking, soccer, travel and just add the Steelers as something to do and add to the mix of activities. I also think as others have said many younger folk are Penguin followers firstly with allegiance to the team on ice. Those days of total loyalty and priority are disappearing quickly. On a league basis watch the continuing in migration to this country of people with soccer background and the NFL meeting an even larger challenge, not to mention the concussion and health risk's causing some to have anti football fever.
You've nailed it well. I am 23 and hockey seems to have a lot more interest amongst my friends than football. Sorry but hockey is just a better product to me than football.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:10 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
You've nailed it well. I am 23 and hockey seems to have a lot more interest amongst my friends than football. Sorry but hockey is just a better product to me than football.
Bingo!

Things change, I'd like to know the demographic breakdown of hockey fans vs football fans. I would guess the age gap would be wide.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Bingo!

Things change, I'd like to know the demographic breakdown of hockey fans vs football fans. I would guess the age gap would be wide.
To me I think 35 and younger is where you see more popularity with hockey locally. I also think theres much less of a "yinzer" vibe with the pens than the Steelers though this may also do with it having a younger following. I used to like football more but I think the sport in general has gone downhill big time in the past few years.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
To me I think 35 and younger is where you see more popularity with hockey locally. I also think theres much less of a "yinzer" vibe with the pens than the Steelers though this may also do with it having a younger following. I used to like football more but I think the sport in general has gone downhill big time in the past few years.
This probably isn't a huge factor, but I imagine it has some effect - seat licenses. If you're young and saving for a mortgage, buying a seat license at Heinz probably isn't high on your priority list. Certainly there are always single-game seats available, but even back in my ancestral home, people in their late 20s or 30s could pool for season tix at Shea or the old Meadlowlands (e.g. 4 guys sharing two seats, four games each). When it got to licenses, many people I knew just wouldn't go that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh