Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,225,366 times

Advertisements

It's July 4th and it sounds like a female was shot in the chest in or near Kennywood per scanner approx 10:15PM. Let's see how long it takes to hit the news.

UPDATE; Reporter Shannon Perrine from WTAE has tweeted and confirmed around 10:35PM.

UPDATE; Live report on KDKA and WTAE as Breaking News 11PM.

Last edited by Benzman66; 07-04-2015 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:46 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
BREAKING: Police searching for shooter at Kennywood | www.wpxi.com

Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 AM

38 posts, read 28,757 times
A certain segment of the population (26%) commits upwards of 80% of all homicides but you are not permitted to mention this.

A certain segment of the population has a huge out of wedlock birth rate (75%) with no father around but you are not permitted to mention this.

A certain segment of the population allows their children to run wild like a pack of rabid dogs and engage in flash mob crimes but you are not permitted to mention this.

The PC police have spoken.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,915 times
I wish the media would acknowledge this happened outside of the park and appears to be totally random. But hey, sounds more attention grabbing to put Kennywood in the title. News flash, the area Kennywood is and has been a sketchy area for a long time. Manufacture millions of guns and some are going to get into the hands of people with no respect for human life. Rant over...

Old 07-06-2015, 11:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,423 times
I like that no one has updated this thread to say that it was a random bullet falling down from some idiot celebrating the 4th of July, an ignorant custom that many parts of the population participate in without being associated with crime. But extreme racism a couple posts up gets to stand.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:54 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,103,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I like that no one has updated this thread to say that it was a random bullet falling down from some idiot celebrating the 4th of July, an ignorant custom that many parts of the population participate in without being associated with crime. But extreme racism a couple posts up gets to stand.
It's easier for some people to jump to conclusions and somehow try to justify their narrow minded view of the world, than it is to search a couple of news outlets for the truth.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:00 PM

697 posts, read 778,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
I agree with you, although I don't think they're certain that it was a random bullet. That's the current speculation. I guess it could be that based upon how the bullet entered the victim. That, in and of itself, is a crazy activity. We used to bang pots and pans when I was a kid.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,227,836 times
Police: Woman hit by stray bullet as she left Kennywood July 4 | www.wpxi.com

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/...ide-kennywood/

Here's a couple of "news outlets." Sounds like nobody knows anything for sure yet.

Last edited by erieguy; 07-06-2015 at 12:45 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,969,419 times
I think the more fascinating aspect is that there are people who do nothing but listen to police scanners, then go onto Facebook and other social media inciting fear and panic. Open up the floodgates! What often follows is some of the most racist, mis-informed opinion spewing out to scare the uninformed even more. Some of the more printable quotes: "So glad I don't live there!" "Glad I moved out!" "I'm never letting my children go there again!" "I was driving through there this afternoon!" "That area is so bad!" "Wouldn't have happened if I had my gun with me!" "I knew this would happen with the types of people that go there!" "It's getting really bad there!"

Old 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,009,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
I agree with you, although I don't think they're certain that it was a random bullet. That's the current speculation. I guess it could be that based upon how the bullet entered the victim. That, in and of itself, is a crazy activity. We used to bang pots and pans when I was a kid.
There's no way to prove it, but it's July 4th, that's a pretty common activity (there are constant warnings from police and others about it every single year), and the bullet came straight down from outside the park. There are no skyscrapers above them, there was no one firing down from a helicopter. It's about as solid of a conclusion as you can come to, short of some resident admitting to shooting up in the air and an analysis being done to match the bullet to the gun.

Either way, the attempted hysteria over this that night and the morning after was completely misplaced, and the reaction died down as soon as people found out that it wasn't someone intentionally shooting up Kennywood. Geeo's post above me sums it up extremely well. Hundreds of thousands of visits are made to Kennywood without issue per year. Sandcastle is located near an area with "issues" as well, and similarly, the vast majority of visits are without being a victim of crime. To listen to some people online, they act like every time you go near Duquesne, you're taking a risk of a drive by shooting, or that every time you go to the Monroeville mall, you're at risk of being swarmed. It's irrational, it's ignorant, it's paranoid, and generally built on a foundation of classism and racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh