Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Take a look at the area around DIA. All open land except for the dog leg to the west connecting it with the rest of the city.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...!4d-104.990251
I'll be in Denver tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to check the place out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 11:52 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
I'll be in Denver tomorrow, so I'll have a chance to check the place out.
Enjoy!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:13 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,389,886 times
Ok, the area around Denver's airport is a vast empty prairie. Downtown Denver is amazing, especially on 16th street. Very very laid back town. REI seems to mark everyone's fashion sense. I saw a guy wearing a business jacket and tie and wore faded jeans. Denver is like Portland.

Amazon might go for Denver, seeing it as a kindred spirit. But maybe not, if Amazon is looking for a place to appeal to people not thrilled with Seattle.

Pittsburgh could take a few pointers from Denver. The train from the airport to the downtown Union Station is terrific. And I really like Union Station as it has what appears to be one-off stores. And it's still a functioning train station.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:23 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Just some car burning, looting, car flipping and such. People need to let off some steam now and again in Philly. They are known for this, so it isn't really surprising. I was waiting up for it last night, but went to bed, figured it would be all over the news this morning and it is of course. Yeah, Pittsburgh is a much classier city. Not sure why there is such a huge difference in the two places, but there sure is.

I do think we get bonus points for not being a bunch of idiots after a sports team wins, but we are used to winning in our city.

I was in the 'riots'. HAHA. Honestly for a city of 1.6 Million and Metro of over 6 Million. Things were quite tame. The worst thing I witnessed was groups of 100 at once chanting F**K Tom Brady and standing on top of the news stands and garbage trucks with a beer in hand . And I was right by City Hall in the thick of it ALL. haha If anything it was fun. I mean you have to give us some street cred for being the most loyal and passionate fans in the NFL. LOL.

The media will take anything to click bait these days. Here is a more accurate description. 'Horrific scenes' and 'rioting': How national, worldwide media portrayed Eagles fans' post-Super Bowl celebrations - Philly

With that, I am DEEPLY rooting for BOTH Pittsburgh and Philadelphia for Amazon HQ2. I am a huge CMU advocate. And Amazon would be a HUGE win for either city and would benefit both by being in PA. Maybe for once get Harrisburg to be more city focused and start investing in our 2 most important places!

Old 02-07-2018, 04:04 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,317,076 times
As I have mentioned numerous times only 2 states have 2 cities in the Top 20; Pennsylvania and Texas.

Pennsylvania really would benefit from thinking of our two largest cities in a more collective way; especially in terms of shaping policies in Harrisburg that affect both.

Therefore I started a joint Pennsylvania HQ2 thread in the Pennsylvania General Forum. I encourage all to participate!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krogerDisco View Post
Ok, the area around Denver's airport is a vast empty prairie. Downtown Denver is amazing, especially on 16th street. Very very laid back town. REI seems to mark everyone's fashion sense. I saw a guy wearing a business jacket and tie and wore faded jeans. Denver is like Portland.

Amazon might go for Denver, seeing it as a kindred spirit. But maybe not, if Amazon is looking for a place to appeal to people not thrilled with Seattle.

Pittsburgh could take a few pointers from Denver. The train from the airport to the downtown Union Station is terrific. And I really like Union Station as it has what appears to be one-off stores. And it's still a functioning train station.
Glad you're enjoying it!

Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM

1 posts, read 822 times
I think something that doesn’t get mentioned often as another reason Pittsburgh is still in the mix is
Having the FedEx Ground Headquarters in the area. If they get serious about starting their own shipping company, they will need that particular skill set as well as the obvious tech, artificial intelligence and robotics talent.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:45 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Amazon may enter shipping business by delivering some of its own orders
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Friday Feb. 9, 2018, 11:57 a.m.

Amazon's next move may be to shake up the shipping industry.

The online retailer is reportedly planning a new service called “Shipping With Amazon” that will allow it to pick up packages from businesses and deliver them to consumers. The service is expected to start in Los Angeles in the coming weeks, before it is rolled out more broadly as soon as this year, according to The Wall Street Journal, which cited anonymous sources.
http://triblive.com/business/headlin...its-own-orders

Amazon is becoming vertically integrated.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:22 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,395,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatnpotatoes View Post
I think something that doesn’t get mentioned often as another reason Pittsburgh is still in the mix is
Having the FedEx Ground Headquarters in the area. If they get serious about starting their own shipping company, they will need that particular skill set as well as the obvious tech, artificial intelligence and robotics talent.
I think they were able to obtain that when they took over the operations of airborne express.

I have heard that FedEx ground is a good company to work for and Amazon is horrible so I don't think they will get much competition. If that was a reason they will be in Atlanta with ups.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:45 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I think they were able to obtain that when they took over the operations of airborne express.

I have heard that FedEx ground is a good company to work for and Amazon is horrible so I don't think they will get much competition. If that was a reason they will be in Atlanta with ups.
Amazon Prime Air

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-...ode=8037720011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh