Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 05:39 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
no mayor will have the guts to challenge them , their shoddy management, and requests for higher taxes, even knowing that enrollment has declined so much!
Well, my favorite Mayor has..

Quote:
Despite criticism, Mr. Peduto continued to dig in his heels, criticizing the nearly $137 million increase in spending by the district since he took office in 2014, even though enrollment has dropped by 1,169 since that year.

On Tuesday, he sat in his office with a paper of calculations, comparing Pittsburgh Public Schools’ spending year over year.

“It’s not just this [tax] issue, it’s every time I mention the word school, they immediately say ‘stay in your lane. You have nothing to do with this.’ One of the biggest reasons I can’t get families to move into [the city] is because of Pittsburgh Public Schools,” he said. “... I have everything to do with Pittsburgh Public Schools because the very future of Pittsburgh depends on it.”

Mr. Peduto cited recent figures from the A+ Schools advocacy group report that 51% of PPS students meet the third-grade reading proficiency level, 37% meet the high school math readiness level, and the district had a graduation rate of 79% in 2018.

“How is it that they’re spending so much money and yet have to raise taxes and the results are worse? Why isn’t anybody on the school board asking these questions? ... What is it that’s keeping them from accountability?” Mr. Peduto said.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/ed...s/201911210176
Its interesting that Peduto, the Great Progressive himself, will basically come out and admit that PPS sucks - which is a bridge too far for some of our City-dwelling urbanists.

That being said, regarding Peduto's criticisms of PPS - I think that he's doing the right thing, but for the wrong reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 05:45 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
He’s certainly not wrong in that the school system certainly isn’t desirable, which is certainly a problem in attracting people.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:08 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
the PPS - a dwindling population? thanks for the stat. no mayor will have the guts to challenge them , their shoddy management, and requests for higher taxes, even knowing that enrollment has declined so much!
Years back I had read an interesting hypothesis that Chris Briem - who used to write on the local Pittsburgh blog Null Space - had. He noted that the steep decline in PPS enrollment followed a period in the 1980s and 1990s where despite hemorrhaging population PPS enrollment barely changed at all. He didn't have any evidence to prove this, but he suspected that the district had in an earlier period engaged in fraud (in order to keep state reimbursement levels high), a new regime came in which was more honest, but rather than come clean entirely they squared away the old fudged numbers by recording all of the decline over that 15-20 year period within a short period of time.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:38 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Well, my favorite Mayor has..

Its interesting that Peduto, the Great Progressive himself, will basically come out and admit that PPS sucks - which is a bridge too far for some of our City-dwelling urbanists.

That being said, regarding Peduto's criticisms of PPS - I think that he's doing the right thing, but for the wrong reasons.

??? please explain why for "the wrong reasons".

Old 11-25-2019, 05:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I have relatively affluent neighbors across the street from me. I moved to Polish Hill in 2010. They moved here in 2013. They are both 40ish educated professionals. They have two beautiful young daughters. They currently send their eldest daughter to PPS Fulton for Pre-Kindergarten (I'm guessing through the magnet program), and they've been very happy. Back when they first moved here and had their first child I was starting to take mental bets on whether or not I'd see a "FOR SALE" sign go up on their domicile once the eldest child reached school age. After speaking to them recently they have no plans to move, love the city, love the neighborhood, and are going to continue to utilize PPS.

I think as long as enough middle-class parents continue pushing their kids into PPS, then positive change can and will occur organically over time. I know we have a few on here who utilize PPS (Eschaton, for starters, and I'm pretty sure either xdv8, gladhands, and/or wpipkins2, too). I think former member Lobick also utilized PPS. More and more middle-class parents need to start selecting PPS instead of going to the private/parochial/charter route. The reason why PPS has such poor standardized test scores is because PPS disproportionately educates more lower-income students than the city at-large. Generally speaking if you look at standardized test score rankings the highest districts are always affluent lily-white-majority ones (i.e. Fox Chapel Area, North Allegheny, Upper St. Clair, etc.) whereas the worst-ranking districts are always the poor black-majority ones (i.e. PPS, Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, etc.)

This doesn't mean "PPS teachers bad; Fox Chapel Area teachers good". What this means is that a higher percentage of the student body at Fox Chapel Area is derived from a background where parents place a greater emphasis upon education. Ergo, Fox Chapel Area teachers have to do less "parenting" than PPS teachers. Switch the demographics around a bit to where there's more of a plurality between disadvantaged and NOT disadvantaged at PPS? Scores will improve.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:19 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I have relatively affluent neighbors across the street from me. I moved to Polish Hill in 2010. They moved here in 2013. They are both 40ish educated professionals. They have two beautiful young daughters. They currently send their eldest daughter to PPS Fulton for Pre-Kindergarten (I'm guessing through the magnet program), and they've been very happy. Back when they first moved here and had their first child I was starting to take mental bets on whether or not I'd see a "FOR SALE" sign go up on their domicile once the eldest child reached school age. After speaking to them recently they have no plans to move, love the city, love the neighborhood, and are going to continue to utilize PPS.

I think as long as enough middle-class parents continue pushing their kids into PPS, then positive change can and will occur organically over time. I know we have a few on here who utilize PPS (Eschaton, for starters, and I'm pretty sure either xdv8, gladhands, and/or wpipkins2, too). I think former member Lobick also utilized PPS. More and more middle-class parents need to start selecting PPS instead of going to the private/parochial/charter route. The reason why PPS has such poor standardized test scores is because PPS disproportionately educates more lower-income students than the city at-large. Generally speaking if you look at standardized test score rankings the highest districts are always affluent lily-white-majority ones (i.e. Fox Chapel Area, North Allegheny, Upper St. Clair, etc.) whereas the worst-ranking districts are always the poor black-majority ones (i.e. PPS, Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, etc.)

This doesn't mean "PPS teachers bad; Fox Chapel Area teachers good". What this means is that a higher percentage of the student body at Fox Chapel Area is derived from a background where parents place a greater emphasis upon education. Ergo, Fox Chapel Area teachers have to do less "parenting" than PPS teachers. Switch the demographics around a bit to where there's more of a plurality between disadvantaged and NOT disadvantaged at PPS? Scores will improve.
you certainly have some good points here. but the couple across the street is upper middle class to upper class...and goes to a magnet...which hurts pps in general. not much different from the despised private/charter schools.

and just some food for thought, but NA is 20% non-white at this point. it is pretty apparent that minorities are seeking out the district due to the growing enrollment.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:33 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
you certainly have some good points here. but the couple across the street is upper middle class to upper class...and goes to a magnet...which hurts pps in general. not much different from the despised private/charter schools.
Magnet schools, unlike charters, are part of PPS and have been in the district for generations. They were originally created as a voluntary method of integrating the public school system. The PPS Board of Education is in charge of them, and PPS teachers educate the children.

Now, you can argue they hurt the neighborhood schools, but that's not the same thing as public schools. There are some cities - like Boston and San Francisco - that essentially don't have neighborhood schools at all.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:38 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,898,379 times
Quote:
??? please explain why for "the wrong reasons".
Well, the schools have been a mess for a long time.
Hamlet has been under fire since before he was hired.
Scores have been low and price-per-student has been high for a long time.

But Bicycle Bill only began to speak up once PPS mentioned taking back the portion of its tax revenues that were diverted to the City when the City entered Act 47. Now that the City is out of Act 47 and Peduto touts what great fiscal shape the City is in, PPS asks for their money back. And Billy Boy hits the roof.

Peduto is speaking up because PPS wants to take money out of his coffers, and I also believe he's trying to increase his office's power over public education.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:57 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Magnet schools, unlike charters, are part of PPS and have been in the district for generations. They were originally created as a voluntary method of integrating the public school system. The PPS Board of Education is in charge of them, and PPS teachers educate the children.

Now, you can argue they hurt the neighborhood schools, but that's not the same thing as public schools. There are some cities - like Boston and San Francisco - that essentially don't have neighborhood schools at all.
i understand. one way to improve pps would be to eliminate the magnet schools. they are islands of educational prosperity and resources. obviously it is more complicated than that though.

Old 11-25-2019, 08:04 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
... Switch the demographics around a bit to where there's more of a plurality between disadvantaged and NOT disadvantaged at PPS? Scores will improve.

back to square 1 - HOW to do this when the school system overall is not as attractive as what can be found in the suburbs?

obviously, some people here are experts on public schooling than I (having no kids). what is someone suggested that public schooling should be phased out, anyway? all learning done from home, or from magnet schools such as the STEM in Oakland? thoughts on this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh