Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:28 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times

Advertisements

I figured we could share here to what extent we have each implemented social distancing in our daily lives. I have mostly eliminated travel except to go to the grocery store. I will have to go into work today but I can otherwise work from home. I still do 3 ten-minute walks on the sidewalk with my dog each day. I have not come within 6 feet of another person during these walks though.

I am struggling to decide how much "fun and/or convenient non-essential" activity to engage in though. I really enjoy hiking and photography and am considering still doing these in remote areas where I probably won't encounter many people (if any). I also haven't decided about going into stores like Sheetz to pickup food instead of cooking at home. I haven't decided about using Grubhub either.

What steps are you taking or not taking? What are you currently undecided about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 07:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Went to the office on Monday - but I'm riding a bike now - I won't be on a bus for months. After Wolf's new declaration about non-essential work, we were all basically told to work from home as needed. I do need to go into work tomorrow - I maintain the office fish tank, and ordered an auto-feeder from Amazon which should arrive - but otherwise I'm staying home.

Ordered takeout from Mad Mex yesterday as a treat for the kids. That was basically the only time I left the house. Unsure if I'm going out today. Tomorrow I will go to work, and Friday I need to show up at a FedEx/Kinkos to pick up a package. That's about it.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:07 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I live alone and generally don't like to go out much after work, so in most ways nothing has really changed for me yet besides driving to work instead of taking the bus like I normally prefer. Besides to the store and doing laundry I most likely won't be going out at all this weekend though.

I am considering getting take out tonight at one of the local places here in Bellevue though to help them out a little.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
One thing to keep in mind regarding social distancing/mitigation, is the goal isn't to stop you from getting COVID-19, it's to reduce the chance. If you can avoid being within six feet of anyone else outside of your family and wash your hands more frequently, you've probably reduced your chance of infection by 90% or more. It's theoretically possible to get infected off of a surface somewhere, but it's unlikely, because it's thought the virus has to get into the lungs to infect you.

My point here is we shouldn't be living lives as complete and total shut ins - that's awful for the economy and awful for us. Just cut down on being around other people and you're doing your part to flatten the curve.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:32 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,021 times
Yeah, honestly my life isnt changed much. I don't really do much where I am around crowds or even many people other than go out to eat maybe once a month. I'll continue going to parks w/ the dog and taking hikes, likely more now that the weather is better. I'll goto the store when I need and will be going to HD this weekend to get supplies to tile our study. I'm going out to purchase a drone later today so I'll likely be out flying that which I am required to not be around people when I do. My wife, the main thing changed is lack of real estate work which luckily I work real estate and another job anyway. Real estate isn't closed but some municipalities are starting to stop various inspections which it is unclear if people will be able to get waivers for things like occupancy and dye testing. There are still people looking and trying to sell but not likely to do open houses and we would just keep a distance from clients when we show or meet.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:40 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
My wife and I are taking drastic steps due to this: We went through Chicago O'hare 3 days ago.

I was forced to go to work Monday (avoided ALL contact).

Luckily now I am working from home. My wife has been laid off, but my salary can easily cover us for the entire time she's off. We have food for 2 weeks, and we walk outside 5x a day for a mile, but avoid getting withing 15 feet of other people. After 2 weeks, we will get take out to help out, but we feel as though we are likely to be carrying the disease. Were in our late 20s and quite healthy so its likely we will not be affected seriously even if we have it. But I want this to be over with, so were sucking it up for a while.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:00 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I have been in contact I am sure, so I am not visiting friends or going out unless I have to. I have cancelled pretty much everything I had planned this year. A walk in the woods is enough for me and of course a small drink now and again. I'll try not to post while having a little nip.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:15 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I have been in contact I am sure, so I am not visiting friends or going out unless I have to. I have cancelled pretty much everything I had planned this year. A walk in the woods is enough for me and of course a small drink now and again. I'll try not to post while having a little nip.
How were you interacting with the police officers and doctors you were recently talking to, and what did they have to say about social distancing in their lines of work?

Old 03-18-2020, 10:01 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Well other than walking the dog a few times a day, I have been home since Saturday. As someone who hates working from home, this is miserable but I am trying to keep a normal schedule. I am not a prepper in any sense but I had been tossing a few extra items in my cart for the past few weeks as news of this ramped up, so I am good on food, although now i find myself not wanting anything that I purchased. I now get my food from WF Amazon delivery, but I am going to start ordering more take out from the local shops on the Blvd. Menuette is setting up a "pay what you can" soup service which should help those who are impacted. I told my house cleaner to skip this week, but still paid her as I already have it in my budget for this week, so that is one less person to interact with.

My gym officially closed Monday, but he is sending us daily videos that contain workouts we can do at home, so I now do those in my basement in the evenings. I think I miss that the most as it was a great start to my day that got me moving and motivated. I managed to be "late" for work today even though the office is 7 feet from my bedroom.

I do have a virtual happy hour planned on Friday evening on Google Hangout, and perhaps a dinner with my family over FaceTime. Other than that, just doing my part to wait it out. If it was only slightly warmer out this would be much better as I could work from my deck and at least be outside.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:24 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
My wife and I are taking drastic steps due to this: We went through Chicago O'hare 3 days ago.

I was forced to go to work Monday (avoided ALL contact).

Luckily now I am working from home. My wife has been laid off, but my salary can easily cover us for the entire time she's off. We have food for 2 weeks, and we walk outside 5x a day for a mile, but avoid getting withing 15 feet of other people. After 2 weeks, we will get take out to help out, but we feel as though we are likely to be carrying the disease. Were in our late 20s and quite healthy so its likely we will not be affected seriously even if we have it. But I want this to be over with, so were sucking it up for a while.
Did you fly to a high risk country or are you just exercising extra caution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh