Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 12,205 times

Advertisements

I have heard some interesting rumors of the Russian mafia in Pittsburgh. I have heard several stories about one particular former business owner who is Russian and used intimidation with employees and neighboring businesses. I have been encouraged by friends to pretend not to notice, and to "be careful around him". His presence intimidates prospective customers at the shop. Is it safe to assume that the police know who this guy (and his friends) is and are keeping tabs on him? Any suggestions/thoughts?

I think the mafia is still here, but that it has changed. I doubt it's the Italian mafia so much anymore, but perhaps the Russian mafia/Eastern European. Have you ever seen the Eastern European guys who hang out outside at the two Sunoco's in East Liberty? They seem like they are a little shady too.

Who is protecting us from these kinds of guys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 AM

199 posts, read 521,275 times
I lived in an Italian mafia hotbed neighborhood when I was in New York, and unbeknownst to me for about a year, a bar I frequented was heavily invested in by members of the Italian mafia. To be quite honest, as strange as it sounds, I never felt unsafe. I never got the impression that I was in any danger, as I don't think the mafia is the type of group who goes around harming anyone and everyone.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:05 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwair View Post
I lived in an Italian mafia hotbed neighborhood when I was in New York, and unbeknownst to me for about a year, a bar I frequented was heavily invested in by members of the Italian mafia. To be quite honest, as strange as it sounds, I never felt unsafe. I never got the impression that I was in any danger, as I don't think the mafia is the type of group who goes around harming anyone and everyone.
That's not surprising, they need some at least semi-legit businesses as a front.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:56 PM

24 posts, read 231,652 times
Default mafia

It is not that strange that you felt safe in the bar. Many mafia members either invest in totally legitimate business and keep them that way or they buy legitimate businesses and launder money through them by filtering their illegal earnings with the honest earnings of the business.

As for the Russian Mafiya and/or Eastern European mafia in Pittsburgh--it does not exist around here. The Russian Mafiya resides in California, New York, and Florida mostly. They are very dangerous, very lethal, and almost all the time very educated. They are now probably bigger than the Italian mafia in California and Florida and are giving them a run in certain parts of New York; however the two organized crime groups do work together.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM

199 posts, read 521,275 times
Yeah, the neighborhood I was in was actually known for its lack of random crime. I couldn't help but feel that the mafia presence had something to do with that.

I was responding to the poster who asked who was going to protect us from them. I never felt the need to be protected from them, honestly. As I said, I don't think they just go around causing chaos among innocent citizens. I'm pretty sure they stick to their own business and dealings. If you're not in with them, you have nothing to worry about. That's the vibe I always got.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Also the Pittsburgh and Cleveland mobs were always fighting for control of nearby Youngstown.
I always thought Youngstown had the bigger mafia presence than either Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Also, for as many Italians Pittsburgh has, its mafia presence has been rather small. And some cities that have a small Italian population (like Kansas City) have ironically had very large mafia presence...go figure.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:46 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
^once you do some reading on the subject you'll change you mind. Youngstown probably sticks out in your mind because the Cleveland/Pittsburgh familes were fighting over control of the area, therefore there was probably more violence.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:15 PM

24 posts, read 231,652 times
Default youngstown mafia

The last poster is correct. Youngstown was controlled by the Pittsburgh mafia and had guys like Lenny Strollo and Charles Porter there (if my memory is correct). Eventually Porter flipped and Pittsburgh mafia operations in Ohio and WV virtually came to a stop. Cleveland always had dealings in Youngstown but I do not think there was ever a dispute between the Cleveland and Pittsburgh families (mainly cause both of the families were relatively weak for a number of years).

*Here is some information on the mafia in Youngstown (I think its the 13th post down) does anyone keep up on real life La Cosa Nostra? - IGN Boards

Old 07-30-2010, 01:25 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Any way we could get a few mafioso to move into Mt. Oliver & Beltzhoover & clean it up a bit?......

I know when I lived in NY and Chicago and, for that matter, even St. Louis,m the areas where the mob were strong were safe enough to walk without fear of hijack, random shootings or any other personal crime.... as long as one didn't go nosing into their business, then there was no reason for them to mess with ya'.

Not so with the li'l thug weannabees in Mt. O or Beltzhoover... they're just bored enough to go after anyone w/o regard for who they are or why they're in there...

Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 11,186 times
I am looking for any info on my uncle who was a mob boss.He was known as Alfred "The Owl " Polizzi.He was out of Cleveland and part of the mayfield road mob please e-mail me at [email]robertangelt@yahoo.com[/email]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh