Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times

Advertisements

And why is this on the political thread????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You can convert to another religion from Hindu, without fear of death.

That's the biggest difference for me.
That's an interesting question. There are some Hindus who say once born a Hindu, one will remain a Hindu till death, regardless of any conversion... Likewise one can't convert to Hinduism.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:14 AM

88,611 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest
This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

YES, I can distinguish between Muslims and Hindus--and Sikhs--but I am in NYC where everyone knows the difference because we all know people of these faiths. One my of coworkers is a Jain.

But after 9/11, some Sikhs in NJ were attacked by idiots who thought they were Muslims. As if attacking Muslims was OK anyway...

Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That's an interesting question. There are some Hindus who say once born a Hindu, one will remain a Hindu till death, regardless of any conversion... Likewise one can't convert to Hinduism.

But you don't get death threats. That's the issue for me.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This would be funny if it weren't so sad.

YES, I can distinguish between Muslims and Hindus--and Sikhs--but I am in NYC where everyone knows the difference because we all know people of these faiths. One my of coworkers is a Jain.

But after 9/11, some Sikhs in NJ were attacked by idiots who thought they were Muslims. As if attacking Muslims was OK anyway...
How do you tell them apart? Clothes?

Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
If your not decapitated it was a Hindu

Old 06-15-2010, 07:28 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
You can convert to another religion from Hindu, without fear of death.

That's the biggest difference for me.

You don't know much about world affairs I gather ? I suggest you start reading a little more about subjects you are obviously woefully ignorant of.

Hindu fundamentalism has recently been responsible for a lot of extreme violence against Christians, Muslims, women etc... Funny those stories don't make it to the US... Or mainstream Western news. And Hindy violence against non Hindus or "straying" Hindus is on the rise.

Just as extreme as any other religious/political extremists/fundamentalists and just as dangerous. But I guess as long as they don't venture onto American soil to preach hatred they will be ignored. Unless white people are killed who cares seems to be the motto of many people on this forum.

Fundamentalism comes in ALL shapes and sizes and from all quarters. And all of is is dangerous and kills.

BBC - BBC Radio 4 Programmes - The New Hindu Fundamentalists (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00k3zzd - broken link)

Hindu extremists' reward to kill Christians, as Britain refuses to bar members - Times Online

Hindu extremists 'will attack Valentine's Day couples' - Telegraph

Hindu extremists held over deadly bombings | World news | The Guardian

Bollywood star Shahrukh Khan takes on Hindu extremists over cricket - Times Online

Hindu extremists burn down village churches - Asia, World - The Independent

INDIA Karnataka: Christians attacked by Hindu extremists, arrested by police - Asia News

Muslims do not have the monopoly on violence. I know it's hard for some to swallow but the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful , law abiding citizens with the same wants and needs you and I have. As are most Hindus, Christians ,etc... A small and very vocal minority of fundamentalists highjack certain issues for political and personal gain . And sadly on ALL sides some people become radicalised for various reasons and we all pay the price.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Quote:
I'm East Indian and Hindu. I'm clean shaven and don't speak with an accent. Indians like myself can easily distinguish us from Muslims including Pakastani or Persians (Iranians). However, do you know the difference between a Hindu and a Muslim or do you think we have the same religion and views because we resemble each other. The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim. I don't advocate those particular views and feel like it's a form of discrimination but I was just curious if people on this forum know the difference between Hindus and Muslims or are we the same to you. It's okay if you answer yes. I would like to hear your views. Just be honest

I can and it's pretty easy.

It probably helps that I have Muslim , Hindu and Sikh friends though so it might be a little like cheating. And most Indian people we see in Europe tend to come from a similar branch ethnically .

And Iranians look nothing like people from the Indian sub-continent. Different facial structures and features. I would have a problem understanding anyone mistaking an Indian person for an Iranian.

Though India is ethnically extremely varied and physical types vary greatly, some Indian tribes being physically "at odds" with the "norm" of Indian physiognomy ( the Andaman Islands spring to mind for example). Ancient migration patterns have made India a wonderfully rich and diverse sub-continent ethnically, socially and linguistically.

Living in the UK especially one gets used to distinguishing between Indian and Pakistani people for example though.

I'm an Anthropologist as well so find it easier to look at people's features, dress, and social rituals and determine the origin.

Many American people are the hardest to fathom as they have so many different racial and ethnic influences ( which is often why I think some of the best looking people are Americans, melting pots make for striking physical attributes more often than not)...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 479,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I honestly don't know what a sikh is. I do know the men wear turbans to keep their long hair up and tight and they grow beards and moustach. That's about all I know about them.
Sikhs are Indians from the state of Punjab in northern India. They were originally Hindus that formed their own religion. Think of them as a Hindu denomination but technically they don't consider themselves Hindus but for a general frame of reference, that's how you think of them. They are not supposed to cut their hair. That facet had both political and religious views. That's why they wear a turban and have beards. A lot of second generation Sikhs don't follow the hair growing ritual and shave and cut their hair.

Sikhs and Indians had a feud because the state of Punjab wanted to separate from India. Prime minister Indira Gandhi was assasinated as a result. However, their dislike of Muslims brought Hindus and Sikhs together. Sikhs don't like Muslims because Pakastanis would cross the border and invade the state of Punjab and raid the farms, steal and commit violence.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:30 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
The reason I ask is Hindus particularly in India are some of the most anti-Muslim people you will ever meet. In fact, they were anti-Muslim before it became fashionable to be anti-Muslim.
boy, ain't that the truth.

as for the question- no, i can't tell them apart on sight with a high degree of reliability, but having had many indian friends over the years i realize there is a huge difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies