Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM

40 posts, read 41,094 times

Advertisements

Bush took a ton of heat for Katrina and that was millions of individuals affected by mother nature.

Our "lead of Change" has a singular issue that can devastate our oceans and the POS sits on his hands and continues to play politician.

This is Change? This is HOPE?

This is nothing new.

Drop Obama come election time. I want a president who is Pro America and will protect our land. This clown isnt about much more than looking good for interviews.

Go shoot some hoops Barack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
What's up with the Coast Guard stopping Bobby Jindal's use of the barges that were being used to vacuum the oil. Story here.

Sounds like the Feds are trying to make the situation worse. I'm with the OP about remembering this fiasco in November.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
What's up with the Coast Guard stopping Bobby Jindal's use of the barges that were being used to vacuum the oil. Story here.

Sounds like the Feds are trying to make the situation worse. I'm with the OP about remembering this fiasco in November.
According to the story, the Coast Guard needed to confirm the presence of safety equipment aboard the barges, and then had trouble getting in touch with the owner(s) of the barges. But the barges have been cleared to get back to work.

It's been interesting to me to read/hear all the comments from elected officials and others who are generally quite strident in favoring small government now calling for the federal government to "do something."

Old 06-18-2010, 12:12 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePeople View Post

***BP was one of Baracks LARGEST funders during his campaign***
According to FactCheck.org, employees & their spouses from Exxon, Hess, Shell, Conoco, and Chevron contributed more than BP to Obama's campaign. I'd also like to point out that oil company execs and employees have been backing presidential candidates for decades. It's never fair to just pin it on any one president or party. I'm not accusing you of that. I just wanted to clarify. I think there needs to be a major priority shift with politicians. I seriously believe that they represent themselves and their cohorts; they aren't representing the people.

Quote:
He also has the ears of Americans and if the cause is just, Americans will fight for it. While you bash our people I praise them. What other countries fight their own for the rights of other lands? Are the Chinese rioting Chinese for American rights? Are people in Europe creating war amongst themselves for Americans rights? I'm sorry you dont see the good in this country. I'm sorry your view of Americans is so limited.
As you know, the citizens of China & some European countries (namely in the east) are not on an equal footing in the civil liberties department with the US. I will not pretend like there aren't other motivating factors for our government, but to be fair, how many people are going to riot or create war for American rights when our rights are much, much better than theirs? That wouldn't make sense.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just wanted to add my view.

More important to me at election time is the money. I will not vote for any politician who voted for the bailout. I wrote all my representatives and told them so. I stuck by it in the presidential election and didn't vote for McCain or Obama. I really can't lay this BP mess at Obama's door. It would have happened if McCain had been in office. His response, however, is something that can be criticized, which I think is your point.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:13 PM

40 posts, read 41,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
According to FactCheck.org, employees & their spouses from Exxon, Hess, Shell, Conoco, and Chevron contributed more than BP to Obama's campaign. I'd also like to point out that oil company execs and employees have been backing presidential candidates for decades. It's never fair to just pin it on any one president or party. I'm not accusing you of that. I just wanted to clarify. I think there needs to be a major priority shift with politicians. I seriously believe that they represent themselves and their cohorts; they aren't representing the people.

You had to lump Exxon, Hess, Shell and Conoco together to add up to more than BP. Was that a point?

As you know, the citizens of China & some European countries (namely in the east) are not on an equal footing in the civil liberties department with the US. I will not pretend like there aren't other motivating factors for our government, but to be fair, how many people are going to riot or create war for American rights when our rights are much, much better than theirs? That wouldn't make sense.

Just proves how great this country is. Other countries cant even get passed their history let alone sit down and have a discussion about civil rights the way we do here. America is VERY UNIQUE and is only VERY UNIQUE because of AMERICANS! Thats the point I was trying to make and I thank you for backing that up.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I just wanted to add my view.

I appreciated it as it seconded my view.

More important to me at election time is the money. I will not vote for any politician who voted for the bailout. I wrote all my representatives and told them so. I stuck by it in the presidential election and didn't vote for McCain or Obama. I really can't lay this BP mess at Obama's door. It would have happened if McCain had been in office. His response, however, is something that can be criticized, which I think is your point.
Reaction. That has been my point from the original post. I'm not going to defend him being responsible for the spill as I never said he was.

Thank you for your opinions on this subject and my thread!

Old 06-18-2010, 02:27 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Quote:
You had to lump Exxon, Hess, Shell and Conoco together to add up to more than BP. Was that a point?
No, each of those companies' employees gave more money than BP employees. Technically, corporations can't contribute directly to candidates (Tillman Act of 1907). According to the website the breakdown is as follows:

ExxonMobil -$30,850
Hess - $5,200
Shell - $9,900
Conoco Philips - $4,300
Chevron - $9,500
BP - $6,396

Total - $66,146

A little checking on the website I cited, and you find that McCain received double the contributions from oil company employees. I'm convinced, the more I learn, that very few politicians give a rip about us, the American citizens. It's more about power and money.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:47 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,552,952 times
Quote:
Go shoot some hoops Barack.
You ought to be ashamed for this remark that smacks of racial bias. I am shamed for you.

What country do you live in that the president can control every aspect of life -- especially business decisions? I don't know of any free country that has empowered its president in that manner.

If you want to blame anyone for these drilling accidents, blame the people that line up at the fuel pump, buy items that travel thousands of miles to reach them, and run their electrical appliances as if the power came from thin air.

We are all guilty by association in our gluttony of resources, and that is not political, it is personal. Make your choices wisely.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Remember the libs and green machine [ I'm all for green when it make sense } that forced them to drill in mile deep water ! If they didn't stop the drilling in Alaska on land or the drilling in 200 to 400 feet of water it would be contained by now .

Only a damn fool would put n oil rig a mile inder water , but this is what the EPA and orher whack jobs do .

Just like they sold out the worlds largest concentration of natural springs in Florida to a foreign owned nation 'Nestles ' that pump out millions of gallons a day use 260 trucks a day hauling it to port . Thanks EPA !

Old 06-20-2010, 11:54 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,563,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Remember the libs and green machine [ I'm all for green when it make sense } that forced them to drill in mile deep water ! If they didn't stop the drilling in Alaska on land or the drilling in 200 to 400 feet of water it would be contained by now .

Only a damn fool would put n oil rig a mile inder water , but this is what the EPA and orher whack jobs do .

Just like they sold out the worlds largest concentration of natural springs in Florida to a foreign owned nation 'Nestles ' that pump out millions of gallons a day use 260 trucks a day hauling it to port . Thanks EPA !
ok, I just have to comment.

when did we stop drilling in alaska on land?

why do we sell about half of the oil we currently get from alaska to foreign countries? The politicians tell us "domestic drilling" is keeping us safe(er) from everybody's favorite buzz word 'terror' and the 'evildooers'.

if the oil we could get from ANWAR contains too much sulpher would we have to build a new pipeline to transport the oil south?

how much recoverable oil is really there?

how many gallons of gas can we get from a typical barrel of US oil versus "light crude" from the MidEast?

if we could magically stop importing all oil from the mideast and get that oil from the US territories would it be 1:1 or more like 2:1 or 3:1 in quantity needed to make up the difference?

how many different types of oil are there in the world? in the US?

have you ever heard of East Texas Sour? California Heavy? Prudhoe Bay Heavy? West Texas Intermediate?

do you know the sulpher content in any of the above? did you even know sulpher content is important in oil refining?

did you know you cannot refine light oil at an intermediate/ heavy distillation factory? well, you can but you won't make a profit and soon be out of business.

if you really knew anything about oil, refining, and the like you could start to make sense, drilling in alaska is really not the answer for so many reasons. Same goes for offshore. Both are very inconvienent and less profitable ways to encourage this system.

sorry, but the problem is way more complicated than soundbites.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You ought to be ashamed for this remark that smacks of racial bias. I am shamed for you.

What country do you live in that the president can control every aspect of life -- especially business decisions? I don't know of any free country that has empowered its president in that manner.

If you want to blame anyone for these drilling accidents, blame the people that line up at the fuel pump, buy items that travel thousands of miles to reach them, and run their electrical appliances as if the power came from thin air.

We are all guilty by association in our gluttony of resources, and that is not political, it is personal. Make your choices wisely.
I don't line up for gasoline very often but we do have to drive 55 miles one direction to shop at a Walmart, 67 miles in another, 90 to another and 66 to another. Sometimes with distances like that we need gasoline just to go shopping. I drive 140 miles one way to get to my periodontist up to 3 times a month and will until the implant process is over. Ain't fun to blame poor souls in the sticks with that lining up at the gas station?

I think that you haven't seen my thread about Barack "I am the law" Obama since you really believe he is still as controlled in what he can do as the others before him were by the Constitution. He has made some serious changes and is going to make more if we keep on letting him go.

BTW, our temp today is over 95 and that ac is really handy on days like this. I guess my wife should have bought a gas range a month ago when she had to buy a new one but she has come to prefer electricity for cooking and our kitchen wasn't plumbed for gas. We are a bunch of electricity wasters here and just think, we are sitting on top of a monstrous natural gas deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies