Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 02:26 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where outside can't people smoke?
Calabasas, CA

Also, the California coastline from Malibu to at least the OC line is a no-smoking zone. Their justification for that one was the butts found on the beach. I guess nobody cared that the vast majority of those were washing onto the beach from the ocean, where they entered via storm drains, and not from people smoking on the beach... Littering is wrong, of course, and I don't do it, but they'll lie, cheat and steal to get smoking banned in any public space, and that law is proof of it.

Also, when I saw the Angels smack down the Yankees at Yankee Stadium in '04, the entire stadium was non-smoking. At least at Dodger Stadium they have taped off areas off in the corners (or did the last time I was there) - it's stupid and lame, but they're being somewhat accommodating. NYC is absolutely rabid when it comes to smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 02:29 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Before that, was the Florida Clean Air Act, which addressed smoking in restaurants. We ignored it. We would ignore its successors as well. I could probably go there today and smoke. The ashtrays are a dead giveaway.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:31 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Before that, was the Florida Clean Air Act, which addressed smoking in restaurants. We ignored it. We would ignore its successors as well.
And you'd be fine - until someone complained, and, believe me, they would.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
And you'd be fine - until someone complained, and, believe me, they would.
When? I worked there two years, during which time we were "supposed to be" smoke free, but weren't.

Guess the cops had other people to harass instead.

Come to think of it, I only saw a few cops in there--and when I refused to serve them, they stopped coming in.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
We have become one big nanny state with many people believing that they should decide what you should smoke, what you should drink, what you should eat, what you should drive, what kind of house and yard you should have, who you should love, who you should marry, how you should raise your children, how you should worship....if they'd even allow you to worship, etc. etc.

They always have a good excuse for their desire to claim control of your live. "My insurance cost is effected" "it impacts my property value" "it devalues my marriage" etc. etc. Dictators always believe that they know best for everyone. They figure they can place the value on everything. The one thing that they don't believe has any value is freedom.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
When? I worked there two years, during which time we were "supposed to be" smoke free, but weren't.

Guess the cops had other people to harass instead.

Come to think of it, I only saw a few cops in there--and when I refused to serve them, they stopped coming in.
The more you post, the more I understand why you are harassed for just walking down the street....

Why don't you sit yourself down in a Florida (or Georgia) restaurant and light up a cigarette. Tell us what happens.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:45 PM

Sure--all I'd have to do is go back to that Subway with the ashtrays on the tables. The white or black plastic ones?, about the size of a soda can in width?

Port Charlotte is the name of the town. It was at 1900 Tamiami Trail.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Sure--all I'd have to do is go back to that Subway with the ashtrays on the tables. The white or black plastic ones?, about the size of a soda can in width?
OK. Then go to a real restaurant and tell us what happens.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:49 PM

It is a real restaurant.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM

As pointed out, it's all come down with people trying to enforce laws that curb other people's freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies