Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:29 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He can smoke outside, as long as his second hand smoke does not affect anyone else. That's the bottom line - if the noxious smoke from your cigarette drifts into someone else's airspace, sorry, you have to put it out.

It is your choice to gamble with your health. You are not allowed to impose that choice on me.
Carraba's puts out much more smoke than I ever did. Should we stop them from venting that smoke outside where people might have to breathe it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 09:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Carraba's puts out much more smoke than I ever did. Should we stop them from venting that smoke outside where people might have to breathe it?
If that smoke is full of carcinogens, yes.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 AM

Inhaling smoke of any sort can't be good for you--why do you suppose they vent it outside instead of letting it sit in the restaurant?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Every time the issue of second hand smoke comes up, I have to mention the people that must BATHE in their perfume or cologne. It makes me nauseous and a bit of a headache--but I defend those people's rights to continue to do so--if that's what makes them happy. Even as it makes me ill.
I agree with you re perfume/cologne - sitting/standing near heavily scented people gives me a headache, also. I simply move away from them and the problem is solved. Their scents do not infiltrate the air with cancer causing agents that I will continue to breathe in, no matter where I move.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Cigarette smoke doesn't chase people down and throttle them.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Inhaling smoke of any sort can't be good for you--why do you suppose they vent it outside instead of letting it sit in the restaurant?
Are you really serious with argument? You are implying that the smoke vented during cooking is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke. Is this your contention? Seriously?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Cigarette smoke doesn't chase people down and throttle them.
It doesn't have to - it's in the air....

Quote:
Cigarette smoke contains over 4,000 chemicals, including 43 known cancer-causing (carcinogenic) compounds and 400 other toxins. These include nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrogen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:51 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I've been reading a lot of thread's about smoking (tobacco/marijuana), homosexuality and other controversial topics such as those, obviously people have different views on these subjects. Which in my mind, is fine, because it makes for a good debate. But what is mildly annoying to me is seeing people complain about these things that they don't even partake in. (Such as tobacco use)

I just want to know why it would great if they made the use of tobacco illegal, and the person complaining about it doesn't even smoke, or dip. Why do so many people think that their lifestyle is the correct one, or the one that is suitable for everyone? And why would making something illegal that you don't even do change your life?

Just wondering. Thanks.
Well, I live in an apartment complex. If my next door neighbor smoked dope in his home, I would be subjected to it as well. In an apartment complex, I'd rather you stuck a needle in your arm or ingested pills or drank yourself to death than smoked dope every day. I don't care about you. I care about me.

I don't see how gay marriage negatively impacts the marriage of others. If marriage is such a great thing (married people live longer, marriage is a great stabilizer, commitment/monogamy is desirable, etc.), and I agree that it is something to aspire to, then you would think as a society we should encourage all adults to partake in the institution of marriage. It just seems illogical to be against more couples being married if you think marriage is a good thing. But I'm a divorced straight person so I'll play Switzerland on that one.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Are you really serious with argument? You are implying that the smoke vented during cooking is as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke. Is this your contention? Seriously?
I'm saying that it makes me cough, and displaces the oxygen I'm supposed to be breathing. As much as I can get past the auto exhaust already IN the air.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:56 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,363,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
I've been reading a lot of thread's about smoking (tobacco/marijuana), homosexuality and other controversial topics such as those, obviously people have different views on these subjects. Which in my mind, is fine, because it makes for a good debate. But what is mildly annoying to me is seeing people complain about these things that they don't even partake in. (Such as tobacco use)

I just want to know why it would great if they made the use of tobacco illegal, and the person complaining about it doesn't even smoke, or dip. Why do so many people think that their lifestyle is the correct one, or the one that is suitable for everyone? And why would making something illegal that you don't even do change your life?

Just wondering. Thanks.
For a lot of people its a power play. It's mainly the folks who want the world to change instead of themslves. I don't smoke so I choose to stay away from peeps while they smoke, problem solved. But this simple solution involves self control, some folks feel controlling others is easier and more effective while vomiting excusses way they can not control there own actions (week minded people want others to change.)
This goes beyond smoking and involves plenty of other personal habits. Whenever a small group rallies to make laws for the larger group to change its usually because they, the smaller group, want the world to suit their habits and do not care about others. Its these same smaller groups that push and attempt to dominate others in the same way they complain of being dominated, its the pot calling the kettle black, with the only difference being self justification.

I wish we could vote for everything this way the real majority rules and not the cry babies who want the world to change to suit thier lazy asses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies