Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 09:59 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
He can smoke outside, as long as his second hand smoke does not affect anyone else. That's the bottom line - if the noxious smoke from your cigarette drifts into someone else's airspace, sorry, you have to put it out.

It is your choice to gamble with your health. You are not allowed to impose that choice on me.
He can smoke outside if he makes the choice to do so. It is a legal product.

So since when do you own the outside that you can tell someone what they can and cant do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Seems that some of us fought for people's rights and freedoms--even if we ourselves don't partake in it.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 AM

448 posts, read 534,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you research the topic, you will discover that exhaled tobacco smoke DOES indeed effect the health of those around you. Second hand smoke is link to cancer and death.

Now, if you want to chew the stuff -- and dispose of the toxic waste in a manner that others are exposed to it, by all means -- it's your life, but no butts, please.
True, second hand smoke is linked to lung cancer and other health risks. But I feel unless you're frequently around someone who smokes you may have a risk. I don't think you're going to really be harmed while you're waiting for a table outside a resturant and someone a few feet away is smoking a cig.

I dispose of my dip properly. I don't enjoy seeing butts littered on the street, so I'm not trying to help contribute to the mess with my dip.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Your definition of a public place is broad enough to include just about the whole world.

In any case, while tobacco smoke may be dangerous (though no more so than many other things you're exposed to in public places), you must admit that incidental exposure in minute amounts isn't going to kill you any more than will incidental exposure to the smell of someone's deodorant or perfume, both of which are also comprised of many dangerous chemicals which you inhale as you pass by.

So, what's the reason for targeting cigarette smoke and and not other things? What else can it be but intolerance based upon fear or personal preference, undergirded by smoking no longer being socially acceptable?

If you truly want to be protected from everything you smell in public places which might be dangerous to you, where is the stopping point? Once cigarette smoke has been banned from public spaces, what's next? Ban automobiles from the streets? Close down power plants and refineries miles away because the smell carries downwind to some public place?

See, the list of dangerous or offensive substances in the air is almost limitless and if you're not willing to deal with those others too, your prejudice against smokers is showing.

I still contend that a little tolerance for others would go a long, long way in rectifying many of the things which divide us in this country and a good place to start would be with smokers.
(ref: in bold)The lawsuit pay outs from the tobacco industry on health issues. The whole reasoning for those second-hand-smoke reports was for those lawsuits. And people, even those not involved, are buying the reports, hook line and sinker. Of course they'd buy that for a dollar as there are much dollars in it, in getting the public backing.
That's all.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:07 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He can smoke outside if he makes the choice to do so. It is a legal product.

So since when do you own the outside that you can tell someone what they can and cant do?
Where outside can't people smoke? As far as I know that is the place they are asked to smoke, outside. Unless it's some kind of event where smoking wouldn't be appropriate I don't think people think they "own the outside".

Old 07-06-2010, 10:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
If you research the topic, you will discover that exhaled tobacco smoke DOES indeed effect the health of those around you. Second hand smoke is link to cancer and death.

Now, if you want to chew the stuff -- and dispose of the toxic waste in a manner that others are exposed to it, by all means -- it's your life, but no butts, please.
If I researched the topic, I would find that the results are what I would expect from the researchers doing the study.

The American Lung Association benefits from saying smoking's bad. RJ Reynolds benefits from saying it's okay.

I think it's a bunch of hogwash either way.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM

448 posts, read 534,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I wish we could vote for everything this way the real majority rules and not the cry babies who want the world to change to suit thier lazy asses.
Agreed.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where outside can't people smoke? As far as I know that is the place they are asked to smoke, outside. Unless it's some kind of event where smoking wouldn't be appropriate I don't think people think they "own the outside".
That person seems to think they own the outside making comments like this

Quote:
If you want to smoke, fine with me. Just do it in a place (your own home?) where second hand smoke is not an issue for anyone else.
Like someone needs their permission to smoke outside. They are only allowed to smoke in their house

Quote:
He can smoke outside, as long as his second hand smoke does not affect anyone else. That's the bottom line - if the noxious smoke from your cigarette drifts into someone else's airspace, sorry, you have to put it out.

It is your choice to gamble with your health. You are not allowed to impose that choice on me.
They are speaking like they are demanding someone Must do something .

So I asked since when do they own the outside that they can tell another citizen of this country that is doing something that is legal.And by their choice they can only do it long as no one else is around or they must do it only in their house.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:31 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
This is all true. Kind of the irony of the American health debacle. Americans freak out over the concept of UHC but meanwhile want to gloss over the risks we endure from excessive fast food consumption (we have a lot of FAT people in our nation) and in general act as if, health wise, we're "all good." Hardly. What percentage of parents are medicating their kids these days? Too many. What percentage of parents are going through the "drive thru" for dinner (quick and easy) without realizing the long term damage that' s going on when your kid grows up thinking of fried chicken as a family meal. Hmmm
We need the US Congress to decide what foods we can eat, so we do not eat unhealthy food, heaven forbid my bad diet might affect your health care costs.

So, what if everyone in your town was suddenly really healthy, and hardly anyone went to the doctor, do you think healthcare costs would go down, or do you think costs would adjust so as to continue to pay the salaries and costs for running the day-to-day operating costs of the local hospitals and clinics?

Its the sick people who pay for the billions of dollars worth of research and development of new medical treatments, techniques and equipment, and costs of building and maintaining hospitals, operating rooms, physicians and hospital staff, who treat and diagnose all the sick people, so they can also treat the healthy people who may come down with a temporary and treatable illness or condition.

High incidents of violent crime, occupations which are physically demanding and participation in sports and active leisure activities all contribute to an increase in medical care too, perhaps we should ban contact sports and physically demanding work environments and leisure activities, and then increase our law enforcement personnel.

Just because someone is fat does not mean they go to the doctor any more then some skinny person does.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:35 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
That person seems to think they own the outside making comments like this

Originally Posted by ray1945
If you want to smoke, fine with me. Just do it in a place (your own home?) where second hand smoke is not an issue for anyone else.

Like someone needs their permission to smoke outside.
They are only allowed to smoke in their house

I don't read it that way. Nothing was said of "outside".

We are all free, or should be, to make choices about what happens to US, and our bodies. The problem starts when someone else and their body become unwilling participants. If people have proven anything beyond a shadow of a doubt it's that they can not self regulate so rules and laws are put into place to keep both sides "free" as much as possible. This doesn't always make everyone happy but I can't really think of a better way of doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies