Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:33 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
whats wrong with X speech>
You really need to ask?

Malcolm X's beliefs are in direct contradiction to MLK's.
http://vodpod.com/watch/87138-youtub...eedom-is-death
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:57 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Kinda funny they got so wound up over it. It ended up going public anyway and mainstream America brushed it off with the "yeah, so?" sentiment it rightly deserved.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:23 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sorry, no. Peck never made any mention of chickens coming home to roost. And Wright's sermon is not even close in meaning to what Peck said.
PBS | Ombudsman | Too Much Reverence for the Reverend?

Wright's "chickens come home to roost" sermon paraphrases Malcolm X's "Chickens come home to roost - white America is doomed" speech from 1963.
malcolm x - speeches > god's judgement of white america (the chickens come home to roost)
You do understand that paraphrase is not the same as quoting.

PECK: They came to do to us what they perceive, it doesn't make them right, but what they perceive is we've been doing the same thing now for a long time in various parts of the world. It doesn't make them right or us wrong. Don't misunderstand me. But the only thing anybody has to

PECK: Yeah. You want a list of the countries that we've bombed and invaded over the last 25 years?

PECK: Certainly not, we've never had to do that because we have, you know, untrammeled military force. These people are terrorists. They resort to that because they can't take us on, head on, nor should they even, well they can't. But the point is that some of the things that we have done in the firm, honest belief that we are advancing the cause of justice, human rights, and freedom and all of that are not perceived that way by the people that we bomb. I offer you Panama. I give you Haiti. Take Cambodia. What about Iraq?

Rev. Wright provided a list of U.S military actions where large numbers of civilians were killed.

We bombed Grenada and killed innocent babies, non military personnel. We bombed the black civilian community of Panama with stealth bombers and killed unarmed teenagers and toddlers, pregnant mothers and hard-working fathers. We bombed Gadhaffi’s home and killed his child. Blessed are they who bash your children’s head against a rock! We bombed Iraq. We killed unarmed civilians trying to make a living. We bombed a plant in Sudan to payback for the attack on our embassy. Killed hundreds of hard-working people; mothers and fathers who left home to go that day, not knowing that they would never get back home. We bombed Hiroshima! We bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye! Kids playing in the playground , mothers picking up children after school, civilians – not soldiers – people just trying to make it day by day.

The tie in with his sermon is the death of innocent civilians.

There’s a move in Psalm 137 from thoughts of paying tithes to thoughts of paying back. Move if you will from worship to war. A move, in other words from the worship of the God of creation to a war against whom God has created. And I want you to notice, very carefully, the next move. One of the reasons this psalm is rarely read in its entirety. Because it is a move that spotlights the insanity of the cycle of violence and the cycle of hatred.[LEFT]
Look at verse 9, look at verse 9, look at verse 9, “Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rocks. The people of faith are the rivers of Babylon. How shall we sing the Lord’s song if I forget the (unintelligible). . . The people of faith have moved from the hatred of armed enemies, these soldiers who captured the king, who slaughtered his son, they put his eyes out, the soldiers who sacked the city, burned the towns, burned the temples, burned the towers, and moved from the hatred of armed enemies to the hatred of unarmed innocents, the babies, the babies .“Blessed are they who dash your baby’s brains against a rock.” And that my beloveds is a dangerous place to be. Yet, that is where the people of faith are in 551 BC and that is where the people of faith are, far too many people of faith are in 2001 AD.

Since Rev. Wright delivered the sermon 100s of thousands of unarmed civilians have been killed by U.S Military action.
[/LEFT]

Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapoutofit View Post
That is just un****ing believable. I knew it was bad, but to actively plot out schemes like that is sickening.

They really are just a propoganda machine looking to brainwash people.
Right out of the Progressives playbook.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
The entire media squashed negative stories about Obama's past.

It was a disgrace!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
You do understand that paraphrase is not the same as quoting.
Yes I do. You seem to not understand that paraphrasing does not mean altering the message.

Quote:
PECK: They came to do to us what they perceive, it doesn't make them right, but what they perceive is we've been doing the same thing now for a long time in various parts of the world. It doesn't make them right or us wrong. Don't misunderstand me. But the only thing anybody has to

PECK: Yeah. You want a list of the countries that we've bombed and invaded over the last 25 years?

PECK: Certainly not, we've never had to do that because we have, you know, untrammeled military force. These people are terrorists. They resort to that because they can't take us on, head on, nor should they even, well they can't. But the point is that some of the things that we have done in the firm, honest belief that we are advancing the cause of justice, human rights, and freedom and all of that are not perceived that way by the people that we bomb. I offer you Panama. I give you Haiti. Take Cambodia. What about Iraq?
Yes, that is what Peck said, which is not at all the message conveyed in Wright's Sept. 16, 2001 sermon. Even the PBS Ombudsman agrees that Wright was stretching way too far in trying to link his message to Peck's.

Wright's message was much, much closer to Malcolm X's message in his "Chickens come home to roost - white America is doomed speech" after Kennedy's death.
malcolm x - speeches > god's judgement of white america (the chickens come home to roost)

Have you read the Malcolm X speech? You seem to not understand what you're talking about.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:53 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
where are the 'bots to defend this crap? or at least to try to change the subject to something else?
What's to defend? A bunch of off duty journalists arguing among themselves in a private listserver?

Gotta tell you, if their intent was to "kill stories" about Wright, they failed. Those stories were all over the MSM.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
What's to defend? A bunch of off duty journalists arguing among themselves in a private listserver?

Gotta tell you, if their intent was to "kill stories" about Wright, they failed. Those stories were all over the MSM.
Did you miss the part about their collusion to falsely accuse Obama's critics of racism? That practice has spread FAR and WIDE thanks to those corrupt, unethical, and unprofessional 'journalists.'

Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes I do. You seem to not understand that paraphrasing does not mean altering the message.

Yes, that is what Peck said, which is not at all the message conveyed in Wright's Sept. 16, 2001 sermon. Even the PBS Ombudsman agrees that Wright was stretching way too far in trying to link his message to Peck's.

Wright's message was much, much closer to Malcolm X's message in his "Chickens come home to roost - white America is doomed speech" after Kennedy's death.

Have you read the Malcolm X speech? You seem to not understand what you're talking about.
From the web page you linked:

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2] It was Malcolm X's answer, that the Presidents death was a case of "chickens coming home to roost" -- that the violence that Kennedy had failed to stop had come back to him[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Fox interview:

PECK: They came to do to us what they perceive, it doesn't make them right, but what they perceive is we've been doing the same thing now for a long time in various parts of the world. It doesn't make them right or us wrong. Don't misunderstand me. But the only thing anybody has to ASMAN: I just have to stop you. We've been doing the same thing around the world?

Rev Wright Sermon:

Violence begets violence. Hatred begets hatred and terrorism begets terrorism.

At no point does Rev. Wright claim that what the terrorists did was justified. In fact earlier in the sermon he said they were motivated by hatred.

Verse 7, of Second Kings 25, says they slaughtered, senseless killings, they slaughtered the sons of Zebekiah and made him watch it. Then they put out his eyes, so that would be the last thing he had any visual image of, like a commercial airliner, or passenger plane slamming into an office building, two office buildings, killing thousands for no reason other than hatred.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
From the web page you linked:

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][SIZE=2] It was Malcolm X's answer, that the Presidents death was a case of "chickens coming home to roost" -- that the violence that Kennedy had failed to stop had come back to him[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Fox interview:

PECK: They came to do to us what they perceive, it doesn't make them right, but what they perceive is we've been doing the same thing now for a long time in various parts of the world. It doesn't make them right or us wrong. Don't misunderstand me. But the only thing anybody has to ASMAN: I just have to stop you. We've been doing the same thing around the world?
You just proved my point. Wright was paraphrasing Malcolm X's speech, not Peck's comments. Wright tried, but failed to legitimize his sermon by pulling Peck's diplomatic comments into the fray. The PBS Ombudsman agrees - Wright paraphrasing Peck is too big of a stretch to be valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies