Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:54 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,848,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You just proved my point. Wright was paraphrasing Malcolm X's speech, not Peck's comments. Wright tried, but failed to legitimize his sermon by pulling Peck's diplomatic comments into the fray. The PBS Ombudsman agrees - Wright paraphrasing Peck is too big of a stretch to be valid.
Peck claims "we've been doing the same thing [committing acts of violence agasint them] now for a long time in various parts of the world."

Asman shocked that Peck would say such a thing interrupts Peck and asks "We've been doing the same thing around the world?"

Peck replies: Yeah. You want a list of the countries that we've bombed and invaded over the last 25 years?

Rev Wright bracketed his comments with: "I heard Ambassador Peck on an interview yesterday" and "a White ambassador said that y’all not a Black Militant. Not a reverend who preaches about racism."

Rev Wright recognized that what Peck said was inline with what Malcolm X said so he quoted Malcolm X. Peck tqlked about acts of violence and bombings committed by the U.S. Rev. Wright gave examples of acts of violence and bombings committed by the U.S.

Rev. Wright's "Faith Footnote" was motivated by the comments of Peck who he paraphrased. The fact that Rev. Wright quoted Malcolm X doesn't change that nor does the fact the PBS ombudsman felt that Peck's comments "were more nuanced".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 11:05 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
Quote:
Did you miss the part about their collusion to falsely accuse Obama's critics of racism? That practice has spread FAR and WIDE thanks to those corrupt, unethical, and unprofessional 'journalists.'
I didn't miss it at all. It is the kind of conversation that goes on among bright opinionated people all the time. It is fascinating to me that as an alleged supporter of the Constitution and the first amendment, you are fearful of controversial or intemperate ideas discussed in private.

The effort by the right wing to generate faux outrage over otherwise ordinary things would be pathetic were it not so dangerous. It is the type of thing that sends people out to shoot at cops.

Cops: Alleged freeway shooter meant to target ACLU - California State Wire - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/07/20/2012907/cops-alleged-freeway-shooter-meant.html - broken link)

Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
It is the type of thing that sends people out to shoot at cops.

Cops: Alleged freeway shooter meant to target ACLU - California State Wire - fresnobee.com (http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/07/20/2012907/cops-alleged-freeway-shooter-meant.html - broken link)

Old 07-21-2010, 11:15 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
What's to defend? A bunch of off duty journalists arguing among themselves in a private listserver?
you aren't seriously going to ask us to believe that these 'off duty' sentiments in no way reflect how they feel - and behave - in their on-duty hours, are you?

Quote:
Gotta tell you, if their intent was to "kill stories" about Wright, they failed. Those stories were all over the MSM.
so attempts to quash news stories don't matter if they're unsuccessful. interesting premise.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:20 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Peck claims "we've been doing the same thing [committing acts of violence agasint them] now for a long time in various parts of the world."
Sorry, no. You're disingenuously adding words that Peck did not say, just like Wright did. Peck makes his intent clear by his actual words:
"They came to do to us what they perceive, it doesn't make them right, but what they perceive is we've been doing the same thing now for a long time in various parts of the world. It doesn't make them right or us wrong. Don't misunderstand me.

...These people are terrorists. They resort to that because they can't take us on, head on, nor should they even, well they can't. But the point is that some of the things that we have done in the firm, honest belief that we are advancing the cause of justice, human rights, and freedom and all of that are not perceived that way by the people that we bomb."

Peck's intention is quite clear, and it doesn't match the intent of Wright's sermon. Wright based his entire sermon on Malcolm X's "Chickens come home to roost - white America is doomed" speech.

Quote:
Asman shocked that Peck would say such a thing interrupts Peck and asks "We've been doing the same thing around the world?"

Peck replies: Yeah. You want a list of the countries that we've bombed and invaded over the last 25 years?
Which Peck clarifies a little further into the interview...
"These people are terrorists. They resort to that because they can't take us on, head on, nor should they even, well they can't. But the point is that some of the things that we have done in the firm, honest belief that we are advancing the cause of justice, human rights, and freedom and all of that are not *perceived* that way by the people that we bomb.

...it doesn't make them right... It doesn't make them right or us wrong."

There is no such intention in Wright's sermon. The PBS Ombudsman agrees that Wright's attempt to assert otherwise is too much of a stretch.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I didn't miss it at all. It is the kind of conversation that goes on among bright opinionated people all the time.
You must run with a different crowd. I don't know too many people who advocate fascism. Even when directed at those with whom they disagree.

Quote:
It is fascinating to me that as an alleged supporter of the Constitution and the first amendment, you are fearful of controversial or intemperate ideas discussed in private.
Hmmm... isn't most unethical collusion conducted in private?

Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you aren't seriously going to ask us to believe that these 'off duty' sentiments in no way reflect how they feel - and behave - in their on-duty hours, are you?
We've all already observed that it does. Witness the WAY overplayed race card for the past 2+ years.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You must run with a different crowd.
Apparently, yes. Bright opinionated people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
I don't know too many people who advocate fascism. Even when directed at those with whom they disagree.
Sure you do. It happens in this very forum dozens of times a day. You can't with a straight face pretend that calls for arguably "fascist" actions such as the military arresting Obama or the criminalization of Islam are not the stock in trade of threads that you read in this very forum every single day.

In personal conversation people often advocate (entirely arguendo) all sorts of controversial ideas. That is because private conversations are never meant to be objective. They are subjective, emotional, challenging, direct and unabashedly partisan. You sound a lot like Claude Rains in Casablanca pretending he is "shocked" to find gambling going on in the back of Rick's Place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
Hmmm... isn't most unethical collusion conducted in private?
Most ethical collusion too.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I am seriously going to ask you to believe that professionals in ANY field are usually able to do their jobs responsibly in spite of their personal political beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga
so attempts to quash news stories don't matter if they're unsuccessful. interesting premise.
Not even close to my premise.

My premise is that talking about quashing news stories doesn't matter. Actually quashing news stories does.

The record shows that these stories were rather patently not quashed. They were covered widely and ad nauseam. The real concern of the right wing should not be over the false claim that these stories were quashed. It should come from the rather patently demonstrated fact that even when they were covered, the American people voted for Obama anyway.

The message here is the disconnect between "right wing rage" and actual things that ordinary Americans care about. I make no judgments over whether or not that is good or bad. I merely point out the apparent truth.

Old 07-21-2010, 11:59 AM

245 posts, read 586,169 times
Wow...OP, most people had put this guy in the rearview mirror.
Including the President.
Way to go to pull him out of the dustbin of history.

Tell me...what's Gorbachev been up to lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies