Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times

Advertisements

I get so fed-up, with posters who have a problem with people collecting state, and/or federal aid! Unemployment benefits, are collected by those who become unemployed, through no fault of their own.

Besides, when the unemployed were working, they were paying into the Unemployment benefits system, through being taxed. To add insult to injury, the unemployed are taxed AGAIN, on the benefits that they collected, when it comes time to file their tax returns!

Welfare recipients, get their money free and clear. HOWEVER, Welfare payments aren't enough for anybody to support themselves, and their families on. So it's not liked they're getting big bucks. And, not all Welfare receipients, are women of color who have lots of children. More whites are on Welfare, than people of color!

Those who collect Social Security, don't always need it. More than ever, seniors were doing well, before they retired. I know that there are many poor seniors, that desperately need their SS benefits. But those seniors who are affluent, still collect Soical Security benefits, regardless of need. And guess what, our tax dollars go to pay for Social Security, for many of these well-off seniors! But I don't see any of you getting upset about that!

So, the harsh judgements on those collecting Unemployment or Welfare payments, needs to stop. These people have fallen on hard times, and need a safety net to survive. Without Welfare and Unemployment benefits, many more people would be starving, and out in the streets, than there are now! And it's not their fault, that our economy is not providing enough jobs for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,612,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I get so fed-up, with posters who have a problem with people collecting state, and/or federal aid!...
So how long have you been receiving unemployment benefits?

You sound like someone very afraid of getting your check cut off.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
I know disabled vets that get far less that this group. It's all about the vote, even tho he's sunk anyway.
He knows he's sunk, too. That's why he extended them. Because if he didn't extend them, he'd be sunk. It is all about he vote that he will will lose regardless of whatever he does. If he gave a job to every person and a home, he'd still be sunk. He's just sunk.

Those people who get to continue to feed their kids.....tell me are they sunk, too?

Midnight Shopping On The Brink Of Poverty : NPR

While the Census Bureau's report Thursday on the economic conditions of U.S. households found that 3.8 million more people lived in poverty last year than in 2008, the agency and advocates for the poor say millions of others were sustained with the help of government programs.

Poverty Rise Stirs Debate Over Aid Programs | WBUR & NPR

Old 10-03-2010, 04:55 PM

Hey Avengerfire,

Unemployment and Welfare, don't apply to me personally. So don't make silly assumptions. YOU sound awfully judgemental, towards people who have to collect Unemployment or Welfare payments, to survive. Could it be that you're just another heartless Teabagger??

With the billions that this country has spent bailing out corporations, and funding two useless wars, the government could've funded a jobs program instead. Then, people wouldn't have to rely so heavily, on Unemployment and Welfare payments to get by. And remember, all of those people that need to collect benefit payments, didn't ruin our economy. That's the fault of Wall Street, and the Bush administration that enabled Wall Street greed!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,792,950 times
Quote:
I get so fed-up, with posters who have a problem with people collecting state, and/or federal aid! Unemployment benefits, are collected by those who become unemployed, through no fault of their own.

Besides, when the unemployed were working, they were paying into the Unemployment benefits system, through being taxed. To add insult to injury, the unemployed are taxed AGAIN, on the benefits that they collected, when it comes time to file their tax returns!

Welfare recipients, get their money free and clear. HOWEVER, Welfare payments aren't enough for anybody to support themselves, and their families on. So it's not liked they're getting big bucks. And, not all Welfare receipients, are women of color who have lots of children. More whites are on Welfare, than people of color!

Those who collect Social Security, don't always need it. More than ever, seniors were doing well, before they retired. I know that there are many poor seniors, that desperately need their SS benefits. But those seniors who are affluent, still collect Soical Security benefits, regardless of need. And guess what, our tax dollars go to pay for Social Security, for many of these well-off seniors! But I don't see any of you getting upset about that!

So, the harsh judgements on those collecting Unemployment or Welfare payments, needs to stop. These people have fallen on hard times, and need a safety net to survive. Without Welfare and Unemployment benefits, many more people would be starving, and out in the streets, than there are now! And it's not their fault, that our economy is not providing enough jobs for everybody.
Quote:
Hey Avengerfire,

Unemployment and Welfare, don't apply to me personally. So don't make silly assumptions. YOU sound awfully judgemental, towards people who have to collect Unemployment or Welfare payments, to survive. Could it be that you're just another heartless Teabagger??

With the billions that this country has spent bailing out corporations, and funding two useless wars, the government could've funded a jobs program instead. Then, people wouldn't have to rely so heavily, on Unemployment and Welfare payments to get by. And remember, all of those people that need to collect benefit payments, didn't ruin our economy. That's the fault of Wall Street, and the Bush administration that enabled Wall Street greed!
The two BEST posts of this thread. President Obama is such a tragic letdown. If he really cared or knew what the hell he was doing, extended anything would not be necessary. It's extremely exhausting for the 14.9 million people to still be receiving criticism about something that isn't our fault. So once again I say... "How rude and pompous anyone is for saying 14.9 million people just decided, all together, all at once, to just up and start being lazy". There hasn't been any sense, in the White House, since Clinton left office. Tragedy. Nothing short of a tragedy.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
It surprising how many people can get a job fast if benefits stop. I know people who say---I'm not taking that job, it pays less then the benefits do---I will stay home.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:07 PM

888 posts, read 1,186,839 times
Millions and millions of good-paying American jobs, GONE forever, to China and third-world countries.
While at the same time, the number of American millionaires and billionaires, are at an all-time high.
And yet posters on this forum, actually complain about extending unemployment benefits to low and middle-income Americans??

Jezz, that's COLD!!??

Steve

Old 10-04-2010, 03:21 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
I know disabled vets that get far less that this group. It's all about the vote, even tho he's sunk anyway.

He's an idiot community organizer.

What else would you expect him to do?

He has never managed a private company or operated his own business and has absolutely no clue how business works, therefore he doesn't know how to create an environment in which business thrives. His solutions are applying band aids and assigning blame.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:36 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Right now there are six applicants for every job opening, and you have the nerve to call people on unemployment LAZY? This is the kind of stuff that made me leave the R party, once they were taken over by the radical right.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 AM

Some of you have been harping on those, who do abuse the system. However, there are only a small percentage of people, who do that. The vast majority of those who collect Unemployment and Welfare, really need it. So I don't think that it should be cut-off, just because a few people take advantage of it.

What we REALLY need now, is a monetary policy that will encourage full employment. I'm old to remember when that was the case, during the 60s. We need to bring back unions, and empower them. In the 50s and 60s, unions were powerful, and blue collar workers made good wages, and could support their families. And today, we need unions for the service workers, and white collar professionals too. We also need to abolish the employment-at-will doctrine, that has given employers carte blanch to dismiss workers, at the drop of a hat. Last but not least, we need to stop exporting jobs, to other countries.

So, all of these strategies could reduce the rate of unemployment, and make working
for a living solid, and with living wages, so that workers can support their families. Then, we wouldn't have people relying so heavily on Unemployment, and Welfare payments, to survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies