Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:05 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a small restaurant owner at church yesterday. He looked beat. I asked him how are things going, and he told me he's been working 12+ hours a day. He want's to hire some people part time, but can't get anybody to work for minimum wage!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, with unemployment in our area hovering around 10%.

People would rather have the unemployment compensation. Much easier that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 10:26 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,226,141 times
Hey USNRET04,

Let me clue you in on something. Minimum wage in most states, isn't enough to support a family on. Those low-paying jobs, are for high school kids, who are still being taken care of by their parents. Or perhaps college kids, who only need the money for beer and pizza.

For adults who have to support themselves and their families, minimum wage doesn't cut the mustard. If some employers are only willing to pay minimum wage, then they shouldn't expect a stampede of job applicants. Especially adult applicants, who have to pay their own way in life!

Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM

613 posts, read 960,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I was talking to a small restaurant owner at church yesterday. He looked beat. I asked him how are things going, and he told me he's been working 12+ hours a day. He want's to hire some people part time, but can't get anybody to work for minimum wage!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, with unemployment in our area hovering around 10%.

People would rather have the unemployment compensation. Much easier that way.
No in most states unemployment benefits pays more the minimum wage which means the family can pay the electric for the month. That may not seem like much but the extra cash comes in handy when they have already gone thru their retirement, savings, 401k,etc. So ya it does make it easier for the family to put food in their kids stomachs. Such quick and degrading opinions.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:35 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckDriver33 View Post
No in most states unemployment benefits pays more the minimum wage which means the family can pay the electric for the month. That may not seem like much but the extra cash comes in handy when they have already gone thru their retirement, savings, 401k,etc. So ya it does make it easier for the family to put food in their kids stomachs. Such quick and degrading opinions.
Some folks seem unbelievably astonished (somewhat hostile too?) upon discovering the realization that you can't support a family household on minimum wage.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:48 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Early days yet. It's going to take a while to sink in and then threads like this will stop. When enough of us have seen enough of our friends and/or family get the ax and there is no UE... And, an earlier post said "the government can only create government jobs, they can't create jobs at Target, etc. So, why do we expect Obama to create jobs? Why do we imagine Palin can do better? Make it easier for Target, etc. to hire? How much easier? Yah, we are definitely still in the denial stage...

H

Old 10-06-2010, 04:54 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,776,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Hey USNRET04,

Let me clue you in on something. Minimum wage in most states, isn't enough to support a family on. Those low-paying jobs, are for high school kids, who are still being taken care of by their parents. Or perhaps college kids, who only need the money for beer and pizza.

For adults who have to support themselves and their families, minimum wage doesn't cut the mustard. If some employers are only willing to pay minimum wage, then they shouldn't expect a stampede of job applicants. Especially adult applicants, who have to pay their own way in life!
Bolding added for emphasis.

I know people who would take that job to pay for car insurance and dog food for cuddles. I hope those people can find that job and don't have an accident and you happen to be the one involved in it. But then I am sure you can also afford higher insurance rates.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,596,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Cheat View Post
I know disabled vets that get far less that this group. It's all about the vote, even tho he's sunk anyway.
If he gets the jobless votes, then great, these are the Americans who need help We don't want or need the Bush tax cuts votes. If disabled Vets need more than so be it as well. Write your Congressperson if you really care, insteading of wishing homelessness upon the jobless. Obviously you have a job or you would not be saying these things. So count your blessings!

Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
Some of you have been harping on those, who do abuse the system. However, there are only a small percentage of people, who do that. The vast majority of those who collect Unemployment and Welfare, really need it. So I don't think that it should be cut-off, just because a few people take advantage of it.

What we REALLY need now, is a monetary policy that will encourage full employment. I'm old to remember when that was the case, during the 60s. We need to bring back unions, and empower them. In the 50s and 60s, unions were powerful, and blue collar workers made good wages, and could support their families. And today, we need unions for the service workers, and white collar professionals too. We also need to abolish the employment-at-will doctrine, that has given employers carte blanch to dismiss workers, at the drop of a hat. Last but not least, we need to stop exporting jobs, to other countries.

So, all of these strategies could reduce the rate of unemployment, and make working
for a living solid, and with living wages, so that workers can support their families. Then, we wouldn't have people relying so heavily on Unemployment, and Welfare payments, to survive.
Actually, unions are too powerful today. Our president is in bed with the unions big time. SEIU, AFL-CIO, UAW, NEA are all major contributors of the democratic party. These unions have priced themselves out of the market.

For example, I am a laid off teacher and can't find a teaching job. Why? The unions are demanding extremely high, multi-million dollar pensions for retired workers and now states can't afford to pay them. Now, those of us young teachers will never get the chance to enter a classroom again unless the states can break the contracts with unions.

Did you hear about the 26 billion dollar stimulus that was supposed to "hire" new teachers? This was a total lie by the liberal media. It was actually a bailout for these pensions. No one got hired by the $26 billion that the Dems jammed through.

The unions have way too much power right now and don't need anymore.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
...He want's to hire some people part time, but can't get anybody to work for minimum wage!!...
How much is min. wage where you live?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Actually, unions are too powerful today. Our president is in bed with the unions big time. SEIU, AFL-CIO, UAW, NEA are all major contributors of the democratic party. These unions have priced themselves out of the market.

For example, I am a laid off teacher and can't find a teaching job. Why? The unions are demanding extremely high, multi-million dollar pensions for retired workers and now states can't afford to pay them. Now, those of us young teachers will never get the chance to enter a classroom again unless the states can break the contracts with unions.

Did you hear about the 26 billion dollar stimulus that was supposed to "hire" new teachers? This was a total lie by the liberal media. It was actually a bailout for these pensions. No one got hired by the $26 billion that the Dems jammed through.

The unions have way too much power right now and don't need anymore.
So, you love teaching so much that you would do the job for minimum wage and without any pension or health benefits? Yes, some of the bigger unions have gotten too powerful but unions as an institution is not something anyone should be too happy to see go away. Especially now.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies