Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
You know it is not just the teachers' responsibility to educate the kids it is also the parents. If you are to lazy to work with your child during the summer months to help the retain the knowledge they have then I do not think that spending more time in school will do anything to help them. The parents need to be more involved and let the teachers get the basic information introduced and the parents can build on that base.
You can be involved year round. Summer isn't special, except that most people work and have to put their kids in daycare instead of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 06:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Statistics Homeschooling Foes Don't Want You to Know (http://ezinearticles.com/?Statistics-Homeschooling-Foes-Dont-Want-You-to-Know&id=3818912 - broken link)

I'm not going to copy paste, but it's there. So who does better? Homeschooling is a growing trend because of the affordability vs private, I'm sure.

I graduated from a private school with a B average, because anything lower than that was unacceptable. I was put into that private school, because I buckled under the social pressure of my day...peer pressure is the toughest social structure to break away from...; it doesn't matter whether a person is rich poor fat or skinny...peer pressure will find them and teach them how to behave. Academics falls behind acceptance into a social group. Always has, always will.

The only difference between an adult and a child, is now you're the adult.

PS:
ray1945, from your link, they adjusted the numbers. What is that?
They adjusted the numbers to level the playing field. As I said, when you compare like to like - there is very little difference in the achievement levels of public and private/home schooled students.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:01 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
They adjusted the numbers to level the playing field. As I said, when you compare like to like - there is very little difference in the achievement levels of public and private/home schooled students.
I got out of it they leveled the playing field so as to show higher levels in public school. public > private
After adjusting for selected student characteristics, the difference in means was -4.5 and significantly different from zero. (Note that a negative difference implies that the average school mean was higher for public schools.)

If they do not adjust the numbers, then private > public. Or am I dyslexic and reading that wrong?

I always did say that B I earned the last two years of my high school would have been a D in public education, because I would have been too distracted to do other wise. Also, I had to repeat the material until I got to the B as that was the lowest I could go, 80. Study, take my test, study again. A child can't hold up the class in the public school. They must catch it on the fly and move on.

We learned through reading PACES. They were small books, less pages than a magazine. We could learn at our own pace. Some graduated early, some later, me I was right on time with my 18th birthday---so I'm average.

My daughter dropped out of high school. She got tired of being kicked in the stomach, beaten battled and bruised. At age 17, she obtained her GED. Read the section of the report about those obtaining a GED. I read it and I went wow for her.

Public schools need their funding, show the need; adjust the numbers.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can that statement be true? Well the Education Czar said in a speech not long ago that schools should be running 11 or 12 months for 11 to 12 hours per day. Yep, we don't have our kids in school long enough for them to keep up with the world's other kids. They need to be in school more total time with teachers who have read Alinsky's, Rules for Radicals as is suggested by the NEA.

Townhall - Doug Giles - Mama Grizzlies: Obama Wants More Time With Your Cubs - Full Article

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/07/teachers-union-the-nea-recommends-its-members-read-saul-alinskys-rules-for-radicals/ - broken link)

Sonned!!!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I got out of it they leveled the playing field so as to show higher levels in public school. public > private
After adjusting for selected student characteristics, the difference in means was -4.5 and significantly different from zero. (Note that a negative difference implies that the average school mean was higher for public schools.)

If they do not adjust the numbers, then private > public. Or am I dyslexic and reading that wrong?

I always did say that B I earned the last two years of my high school would have been a D in public education, because I would have been too distracted to do other wise. Also, I had to repeat the material until I got to the B as that was the lowest I could go, 80. Study, take my test, study again. A child can't hold up the class in the public school. They must catch it on the fly and move on.

We learned through reading PACES. They were small books, less pages than a magazine. We could learn at our own pace. Some graduated early, some later, me I was right on time with my 18th birthday---so I'm average.

My daughter dropped out of high school. She got tired of being kicked in the stomach, beaten battled and bruised. At age 17, she obtained her GED. Read the section of the report about those obtaining a GED. I read it and I went wow for her.

Public schools need their funding, show the need; adjust the numbers.
You can't compare apples to oranges. Likewise, you cannot compare the achievement levels of public school students who live in poverty to students whose family incomes cover private school tuitions or allow for a parent to home school. If you were to compare only the public school students whose home/parental circumstances were similar to those of private/HS students, you would find that public school students do as well, if not better, than their private/HS counterparts.

When comparative studies are done, numbers are adjusted to take into account the disparities in selected student characteristics that exist between the two groups being studied.

Not sure why you're having such a hard time comprehending this concept.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Default Answers

Originally Posted by Georgia
[i]Ray, providing you are keeping up on it, which you probably are I have a question.
I've been retired for 7 years and, yes, I do keep up. Multiple family members are teachers, including my two children.

Thanks for answering the question

You taught for 37 years, would you say that the current education curriculum today is better in quality or worse than what previous generations were taught in government / public schools.

Today's curriculum is as applicable to today's students as the curriculum of the past was to previous generations. It is not possible to generalize on the quality of curriculum as it varies from district to district, school to school, and teacher to teacher.

Thanks for your opinion

It seems today that the 3R's are replaced with the 3F's. Remember Conjunction Junction and Mathmatics where today it's seems to be Heather has Two Mommies and Super Teen Enviroforce.

Why does it seem that way to you? Have you spent a lot of time observing in a variety of today's public schools?

Spend much time observing all one needs to do is visit any government school today and see this. So you are stating that the 3R's are alive and well? If so it must be very remedial.

It seems kids today cannot make change, they have no teachings in history, nor do they have any consumer mathmatics skills. We have went from Honor Roll to what is the new thing?

Again, do you spend a lot of time interacting with a large sampling of today's students? How did you arrive at the above conclusions?

Actually I do, many of them (students) will acutally complain about the quality of education being offered today. Could be why many retail establishments are replacing numbers with pictures on the registers anymore. As far as the "New Honor Roll" that has been all over the news, not jus those evil right wing stations but your friendly leftist networks also. Was actually on MSNBC when I tuned in. Along with 3 other people in the US to watch.

Today we have youth from India, China, Japan, and Germany bypassing our American youth. Though Government wants to expand hours and tenure does it want to teach or allow our teachers to teach? Our government be it Obama or our previous so called leaders touting education, the only beneficiaries seem to be the National Education Association and government beaucrats. America's children continue to lose ground and our teachers continue to work two jobs to make ends meet and hoping not to receive furlough.

The above is not an opinion. It is an assertion, for which you really need to provide supporting evidence.

Oh Lordy When one cannot find a logical response the "assertion" tag line begins. Well that and the "Right Wing" statement Since you have difficulty answering questions with answers instead of one word emotion over logic items let me ask this of you. Have you been to India, China, Japan, and Germany? Have you seen their education system first hand? I have Frankly, todays US school system would probably have multiple NEA grievances filed against it if it even tried to follow the same guidelines. All above, teach English along with the native language. Mathmatics is enforced, education is listed as something of honor. Could be why, if you visited any company you will find the new Engineers, Chemist, Accountants, and Medical professionals as something other than American.

I remember when as a child our local public /government schools were under the full control of the local not the federal, I am dating myself.
Since Federal just about taking full control, as with everything else progress becomes regress, success becomes failure, and beaucrats and unions win as our nation and general population loses.

Again, assertions.

Again, no answer nor opinion from you? Have you traveled around to DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, Etc? How about rural school systems? One item here. Open your eyes and get out of denile! Overcrowding, crumbling infrastructure, etc., but no money? Property / School taxes are at their highest ever but no books, taxes at their highest ever, but hey there is Football Taxes at their highest ever, but teachers are receiving furlough! Where is the wonderful NEA outside of their kronies becoming more rich? Working their policy.

You speak of poverty. In America with a free representative republic (so far anyway) when we find what we call poverty it is usually connected to a government unbilical cord unlike poverty in the third world which is due to oppressive total government. Funny, but not so on how the two are related.

Assertion

Again, no answer. All I can say here is read the codes, leave your back yard, travel to the inner cities and the rural locations. See people trapped in the tenticals of government. Be it WIC, FmHA, FHA, HUD, Section 8, etc., try to improve, get a job, get a raise. Woop! hold on get a raise government will raise your rent in section 8. Trapped! Third world, spent many a day and night there on business and with the military. Since you are retired I would gather you are of an age where you remember droves of people seeking freedom from repressive governments trying to free themselves from poverty and oppression. Short memories can repeat history, which is what seems to be happening slowly but surely.

I see so many folks with emotion over logic views stating idiocy like "home school them, then they can become serial killers" etc., but the truth be told, in todays NEA controlled environment home school and private school children are far outscoring public/government school children.

If you were to do a like to like comparison, you would find that public school students do as well, if not better, than their socio-economic private/home school equivalents.
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard...es/2006461.pdf (check out the ch. 3 & 4 summaries.
Public Schools vs. Private Schools: New Study Says There is No Difference

Re the underlined text - you really have been listening to too much right wing nonsense. As I have already stated, the NEA is pretty much a non-entity in FL. I'm sure there are other states where this is also the case.

Case closed! As a Libertarian I may be a fiscal conservative but a social liberal. I have always found it funny when the NEA is even mentioned the "RIGHT WING" mantra flies! The National Education Association is everywhere. It is the largest organization in America with tenticles wrapped tightly with the Department of Education. It may be lighter in FL and GA than for example, NY and NJ but it is still there though federal mandates.
Here in Georgia, like Florida as you state is in a pivotal election this year with our once "Failed" Governor King Roy Barnes. Though the NEA does not have the "push" as I stated previous, it is reaching by dolling dollars to the Barnes campaign. King Roy is promising Utopia to our teachers! Funny he stomped on their head during his tenure in the 90's. Yes, the natives will remember but GA today with so many transplants he may stand a running chance.

Then again, I guess I just need to sit back, listen to my "Right Wing" nonsense and not care about the future of our future generations. WRONG

The sad part is, when you have folks who look to government for control and guidance only find poverty as the end result.

Not quite sure what point you're making here.

Think about it. Shall I list the countries of today or the failed countries of the past that have tried this experiment time and time again?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:08 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You can't compare apples to oranges. Likewise, you cannot compare the achievement levels of public school students who live in poverty to students whose family incomes cover private school tuitions or allow for a parent to home school. If you were to compare only the public school students whose home/parental circumstances were similar to those of private/HS students, you would find that public school students do as well, if not better, than their private/HS counterparts.

When comparative studies are done, numbers are adjusted to take into account the disparities in selected student characteristics that exist between the two groups being studied.

Not sure why you're having such a hard time comprehending this concept.
I'll take it for what it is. Adjusting numbers to establish proof when playing it straight does not get their desired results.

Have a great day.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Originally Posted by Georgia
[i]Ray, providing you are keeping up on it, which you probably are I have a question.
I've been retired for 7 years and, yes, I do keep up. Multiple family members are teachers, including my two children.

Thanks for answering the question

You taught for 37 years, would you say that the current education curriculum today is better in quality or worse than what previous generations were taught in government / public schools.

Today's curriculum is as applicable to today's students as the curriculum of the past was to previous generations. It is not possible to generalize on the quality of curriculum as it varies from district to district, school to school, and teacher to teacher.

Thanks for your opinion

It seems today that the 3R's are replaced with the 3F's. Remember Conjunction Junction and Mathmatics where today it's seems to be Heather has Two Mommies and Super Teen Enviroforce.

Why does it seem that way to you? Have you spent a lot of time observing in a variety of today's public schools?

Spend much time observing all one needs to do is visit any government school today and see this. So you are stating that the 3R's are alive and well? If so it must be very remedial.

It seems kids today cannot make change, they have no teachings in history, nor do they have any consumer mathmatics skills. We have went from Honor Roll to what is the new thing?

Again, do you spend a lot of time interacting with a large sampling of today's students? How did you arrive at the above conclusions?

Actually I do, many of them (students) will acutally complain about the quality of education being offered today. Could be why many retail establishments are replacing numbers with pictures on the registers anymore. As far as the "New Honor Roll" that has been all over the news, not jus those evil right wing stations but your friendly leftist networks also. Was actually on MSNBC when I tuned in. Along with 3 other people in the US to watch.

Today we have youth from India, China, Japan, and Germany bypassing our American youth. Though Government wants to expand hours and tenure does it want to teach or allow our teachers to teach? Our government be it Obama or our previous so called leaders touting education, the only beneficiaries seem to be the National Education Association and government beaucrats. America's children continue to lose ground and our teachers continue to work two jobs to make ends meet and hoping not to receive furlough.

The above is not an opinion. It is an assertion, for which you really need to provide supporting evidence.

Oh Lordy When one cannot find a logical response the "assertion" tag line begins. Well that and the "Right Wing" statement Since you have difficulty answering questions with answers instead of one word emotion over logic items let me ask this of you. Have you been to India, China, Japan, and Germany? Have you seen their education system first hand? I have Frankly, todays US school system would probably have multiple NEA grievances filed against it if it even tried to follow the same guidelines. All above, teach English along with the native language. Mathmatics is enforced, education is listed as something of honor. Could be why, if you visited any company you will find the new Engineers, Chemist, Accountants, and Medical professionals as something other than American.

I remember when as a child our local public /government schools were under the full control of the local not the federal, I am dating myself.
Since Federal just about taking full control, as with everything else progress becomes regress, success becomes failure, and beaucrats and unions win as our nation and general population loses.

Again, assertions.

Again, no answer nor opinion from you? Have you traveled around to DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, Etc? How about rural school systems? One item here. Open your eyes and get out of denile! Overcrowding, crumbling infrastructure, etc., but no money? Property / School taxes are at their highest ever but no books, taxes at their highest ever, but hey there is Football Taxes at their highest ever, but teachers are receiving furlough! Where is the wonderful NEA outside of their kronies becoming more rich? Working their policy.

You speak of poverty. In America with a free representative republic (so far anyway) when we find what we call poverty it is usually connected to a government unbilical cord unlike poverty in the third world which is due to oppressive total government. Funny, but not so on how the two are related.

Assertion

Again, no answer. All I can say here is read the codes, leave your back yard, travel to the inner cities and the rural locations. See people trapped in the tenticals of government. Be it WIC, FmHA, FHA, HUD, Section 8, etc., try to improve, get a job, get a raise. Woop! hold on get a raise government will raise your rent in section 8. Trapped! Third world, spent many a day and night there on business and with the military. Since you are retired I would gather you are of an age where you remember droves of people seeking freedom from repressive governments trying to free themselves from poverty and oppression. Short memories can repeat history, which is what seems to be happening slowly but surely.

I see so many folks with emotion over logic views stating idiocy like "home school them, then they can become serial killers" etc., but the truth be told, in todays NEA controlled environment home school and private school children are far outscoring public/government school children.

If you were to do a like to like comparison, you would find that public school students do as well, if not better, than their socio-economic private/home school equivalents.
http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard...es/2006461.pdf (check out the ch. 3 & 4 summaries.
Public Schools vs. Private Schools: New Study Says There is No Difference

Re the underlined text - you really have been listening to too much right wing nonsense. As I have already stated, the NEA is pretty much a non-entity in FL. I'm sure there are other states where this is also the case.

Case closed! As a Libertarian I may be a fiscal conservative but a social liberal. I have always found it funny when the NEA is even mentioned the "RIGHT WING" mantra flies! The National Education Association is everywhere. It is the largest organization in America with tenticles wrapped tightly with the Department of Education. It may be lighter in FL and GA than for example, NY and NJ but it is still there though federal mandates.
Here in Georgia, like Florida as you state is in a pivotal election this year with our once "Failed" Governor King Roy Barnes. Though the NEA does not have the "push" as I stated previous, it is reaching by dolling dollars to the Barnes campaign. King Roy is promising Utopia to our teachers! Funny he stomped on their head during his tenure in the 90's. Yes, the natives will remember but GA today with so many transplants he may stand a running chance.

Then again, I guess I just need to sit back, listen to my "Right Wing" nonsense and not care about the future of our future generations. WRONG

The sad part is, when you have folks who look to government for control and guidance only find poverty as the end result.

Not quite sure what point you're making here.

Think about it. Shall I list the countries of today or the failed countries of the past that have tried this experiment time and time again?
There is nothing that I could have posted that would have had any impact on what you already so firmly believe....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies