Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:13 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
You haven't given one fact. Everyone disagrees with you and says they have first hand experience. Several of us agree with eachother. Most people don't take record of what they learned in school. All you bring to this discussion is an agenda. I am non name calling in FACT you have been crying for a few pages now over grammar and asking for facts on an opinion, providing no facts of your own. You have such an agenda you mentioned Fox and conservatives. Nobody mentioned either. Except you who posted an article of Bush and mentioned Palin. Well I don' like either of them. Your acting like a spoiled child who wants everything to go his way. Probably because of the school indoctrinating you to think your so special and smart.
Jesus (and I don't even believe)

Anyone who cares to read back through the thread, please see the posts where I showed scientific studies from the University of Missouri, and the John Hopkins institute that show that year round school works better, and that up to almost 3 months of knowledge is lost while children are out for summer break.

You may also find an article (that I've posted twice now) showing that there is no indoctrination that is occurring now, that didn't in 2005, 2000, 1989, whatever.

I'm really tired of arguing with someone who can't back up their assertions, and expects total strangers to believe a total stranger on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:16 PM

531 posts, read 338,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Jesus (and I don't even believe)

Anyone who cares to read back through the thread, please see the posts where I showed scientific studies from the University of Missouri, and the John Hopkins institute that show that year round school works better, and that up to almost 3 months of knowledge is lost while children are out for summer break.

You may also find an article (that I've posted twice now) showing that there is no indoctrination that is occurring now, that didn't in 2005, 2000, 1989, whatever.

I'm really tired of arguing with someone who can't back up their assertions, and expects total strangers to believe a total stranger on the internet.
If you read you will see i agreed with year round school. I said its a good thing. I said what I don't like our indoctrinating school system. On that subject your studies mean nothing to me compared to my first hand experience.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:42 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
As a public school parent in a very well regarded district, I would love to see school run year-round with two week breaks spaced evenly around year, along with a month-long break in summer. I also think the school day is too short. Less homework and more classroom time would make me very happy. I don't enjoy being the homework enforcer. I'd rather spend my time with the kids teaching them life skills than tutoring pre-algebra because there isn't enough time in the day for my child to receive one-on-one instruction.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:45 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
As a public school parent in a very well regarded district, I would love to see school run year-round with two week breaks spaced evenly around year, along with a month-long break in summer. I also think the school day is too short. Less homework and more classroom time would make me very happy. I don't enjoy being the homework enforcer. I'd rather spend my time with the kids teaching them life skills than tutoring pre-algebra because there isn't enough time in the day for my child to receive one-on-one instruction.
A reasoned post, thank God.

Well said, couldn't agree more.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:48 PM

531 posts, read 338,368 times
Quote:
A reasoned post, thank God.

Well said, couldn't agree more.
It sounds to me like your agreeing with someones opinion.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,341,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Ray, providing you are keeping up on it, which you probably are I have a question.

You taught for 37 years, would you say that the current education curriculum today is better in quality or worse than what previous generations were taught in government / public schools.

It seems today that the 3R's are replaced with the 3F's. Remember Conjunction Junction and Mathmatics where today it's seems to be Heather has Two Mommies and Super Teen Enviroforce.

It seems kids today cannot make change, they have no teachings in history, nor do they have any consumer mathmatics skills. We have went from Honor Roll to what is the new thing?

Today we have youth from India, China, Japan, and Germany bypassing our American youth. Though Government wants to expand hours and tenure does it want to teach or allow our teachers to teach? Our government be it Obama or our previous so called leaders touting education, the only beneficiaries seem to be the National Education Association and government beaucrats. America's children continue to lose ground and our teachers continue to work two jobs to make ends meet and hoping not to receive furlough.

I remember when as a child our local public /government schools were under the full control of the local not the federal, I am dating myself.
Since Federal just about taking full control, as with everything else progress becomes regress, success becomes failure, and beaucrats and unions win as our nation and general population loses.

You speak of poverty. In America with a free representative republic (so far anyway) when we find what we call poverty it is usually connected to a government unbilical cord unlike poverty in the third world which is due to oppressive total government. Funny, but not so on how the two are related.

I see so many folks with emotion over logic views stating idiocy like "home school them, then they can become serial killers" etc., but the truth be told, in todays NEA controlled environment home school and private school children are far outscoring public/government school children.

The sad part is, when you have folks who look to government for control and guidance only find poverty as the end result.
You ask a question and proceed to provide your own lengthy answer. You don't need me.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So you don't really believe the Education czar, Natalay. I don't want to believe it but I did have some of those kids very near 11 hours a day when I was an athletic coach. Well, I didn't have them but they were at the school about that long.

I think you may find that Google will uphold these people unless you use the normal liberal kind of prompts for them.
I haven't really been motivated to look up the info All I'm saying is that there's a difference between having the school open for 11 to 12 hours and being in class for 11 to 12 hours.

When I was in school there were some days I was there from 7:00 am to 9pm at night but I wasn't in a classroom the entire time.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:38 PM

17,431 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
I'm not doing it again, but if you look at post 120, you can read it.
That's a link talking about the Katrina song. Which doesn't even come close to being similar to the "praise Obama" songs that children were taught to sing. It does not prove what you said it did in this post:

Quote:
There are so many instances of children being taught praise Obama songs ... it's disturbing & alarming. You cannot be serious in thinking that this is old hat and has been done before.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:59 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
I remember hearing such proposals when I was a schoolchild, and it scared me. I though "I hope he doesn't get elected!" In fact there is little to fear. Teachers Unions are a powerful lobby and they won't be too keen on having their work week extended.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Personal attacks show your age.

In an informed discussion, facts tend to give way to conjecture.

I have continued to ask for examples of this extreme indoctrination that seems to be rampantly seen by conservative supporters, yet aren't seen anywhere, even Fox news.

You could be a 80 year old grandmother, or a 19 year old boy, I don't know.

I don't ask that anyone agree with me, but when they use stories that can't be backed up to disprove my position, which I have posted many times is backed by peer reviewed studies, and real life examples, I like pointing that fact out.
OK, now on back to the original topic of this thread, I hope. I have not seen you show that you read any of these things about the NEA and the way they have taken over education so thoroughly and how they managed to do that. I will again suggest that you can learn a bit about that by doing the assigned reading on this link.

http://www.cwfa.org/brochures/nea.pdf

Read pages 6 - 7- 8 and tell me about what they thought was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies