Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Jesus (and I don't even believe)

Anyone who cares to read back through the thread, please see the posts where I showed scientific studies from the University of Missouri, and the John Hopkins institute that show that year round school works better, and that up to almost 3 months of knowledge is lost while children are out for summer break.

You may also find an article (that I've posted twice now) showing that there is no indoctrination that is occurring now, that didn't in 2005, 2000, 1989, whatever.

I'm really tired of arguing with someone who can't back up their assertions, and expects total strangers to believe a total stranger on the internet.
YEP, and I have waited for you to comment about my articles that I have linked to you all through this thread. I even finally got you to stop the arguing long enough to prove that you didn't watch the video and go on about your arguing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 09:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
This thread has gone off-topic. Forget the songs. I read in the Denver Post what Arne Duncan really said.

Haley: Three R's year-round - The Denver Post

"In all seriousness," he followed, "I think schools should be open 12, 13, 14 hours a day, seven days a week, 11-12 months a year."

" There would be a whole variety of after-school programs. But you top it off with dancing, art, drama, music, yearbook, robotics, activities for older siblings and parents, ELS classes."

Old 08-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Actually, I heard from a missionary at our church last week that China's school system is pretty close to that--they go for 12+ hours a day.

Interestingly enough, the school where she and her husband work at is growing more and more popular and the students are out-performing the kids in the government schools, despite less hours in school.
One of my wife's foreign exchange students from China told her much the same thing about the time they spend in school. She felt like she was on vacation here.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
This thread has gone off-topic. Forget the songs. I read in the Denver Post what Arne Duncan really said.

Haley: Three R's year-round - The Denver Post

"In all seriousness," he followed, "I think schools should be open 12, 13, 14 hours a day, seven days a week, 11-12 months a year."

" There would be a whole variety of after-school programs. But you top it off with dancing, art, drama, music, yearbook, robotics, activities for older siblings and parents, ELS classes."
Ok, Kat, I accept what Dan Haley says but I also know what is going on in too many classrooms in our elementary and secondary schools these days and that the NEA has been in on a lot of it.

Now please look at this link and tell me if you see any indication of the things some of us are talking about here and the possibility that all the things in this link point out what is going on and why. The NEA has caused much of this crap and they will never allow those long periods of school or the elongated school year. After all they are very near the most powerful union in the nation in both numbers and downright power.

http://www.cwfa.org/brochures/nea.pdf

Old 08-02-2010, 12:05 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Can that statement be true? Well the Education Czar said in a speech not long ago that schools should be running 11 or 12 months for 11 to 12 hours per day. Yep, we don't have our kids in school long enough for them to keep up with the world's other kids. They need to be in school more total time with teachers who have read Alinsky's, Rules for Radicals as is suggested by the NEA.

Townhall - Doug Giles - Mama Grizzlies: Obama Wants More Time With Your Cubs - Full Article

Gateway Pundit (http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/07/teachers-union-the-nea-recommends-its-members-read-saul-alinskys-rules-for-radicals/ - broken link)
I figured this was packed with a punch.

I haven't read the posts yet, or the opinion pieces, but Roy, they have been talking about extending school days since my kids were in school. (last grad 2007) What I mean is, this has been a topic of discussion of many many years.

Parents who have to work see it as a blessing as it would cut out finding day care for their kids during summer months. I for one can't see it as a bad thing. Idle hands leads to idle deeds.

Now as for as the curriculum

Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
Considering literacy rates have dropped every year for the last decade or so, yes, kids do need to go to school more. We consider ourselves the most intelligent and progressive country in the world yet places like Georgia (country, not the state), Estonia, Ukraine, North Korea, and Slovakia have higher literacy rates.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
Considering literacy rates have dropped every year for the last decade or so, yes, kids do need to go to school more. We consider ourselves the most intelligent and progressive country in the world yet places like Georgia (country, not the state), Estonia, Ukraine, North Korea, and Slovakia have higher literacy rates.
I don't think the solution is as simple as just spending more time in class. It would just be extra time stewing in a system that is broken and failing the kids. Do private schools have to keep students 12 hours to do well?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:34 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Can you please provide some information about that?

It's largely anecdotal, I'm sorry -- I don't have any real statistics on it.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I don't think the solution is as simple as just spending more time in class. It would just be extra time stewing in a system that is broken and failing the kids. Do private schools have to keep students 12 hours to do well?
Many private schools do no better than the public schools, especially the "Christian" schools (not meaning the Catholic parochial system which has a long-standing record of excellent education). Also, they are not talking about teaching kids for 12 hours. They're talking about using the schools as community centers.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:03 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Many private schools do no better than the public schools, especially the "Christian" schools (not meaning the Catholic parochial system which has a long-standing record of excellent education). Also, they are not talking about teaching kids for 12 hours. They're talking about using the schools as community centers.
I think it is the smaller class size.

There are 12 students in niece's class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies